Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:53 PM

61 posts, read 104,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
Given that... the OP, if she really wants to move to this coast, may prefer living in the mountains.
I do LOVE mountains..and thought about that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
This year we are experiencing an unusually cool, not typical, spring.

Typically 80 degree weather arrives in May and lasts until late Sept/early Oct. We can have weather above 90 by early June and into September. 90 degree weather will be common throughout June & August with many days approaching 100. Humidity will also be high during this time. Nights will be sultry in June, July & August. We once got relief after Labor day, but it's warmer now so the nice weather normally doesn't arrive until late Sept. After that it will be nice until Thanksgiving.

The South is hot during the summer months, no doubt it. It's why people didn't move here until Aircon was cheap enough to install in homes. Charlotte fares a little better than most of the South due to its proximity to the Appalachian mountains.

During the hot time, there will be many nice sunny days where you can do plenty outdoors, but some days will be so hot that you will not want to. Going outside can suck all the energy out of your body. (I don't mind this myself as I like the variety.)

Oh yeah, heat definitely sucks all of my energy which is why I am really wondering if I can endure a place where it is so hot. ( even if not the entire year )..Yet, I have a bit of a desire to move to NC. For some reason, this is the only state that stands out to me in the South; then again, I know there is so much I'd miss here. We are much more liberal and progressive which I enjoy..IDK...a lot to consider.

The cool and cold temps actually energize me, while heat drains me and even wipes me out emotionally it seems.

Thanks for the info..

Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,117 times
A town such as Asheville, NC would be a nice fit for you. I absolutely love it there. Also very artsy, liberal mountain town. It's been called the San Francisco of the east, (so I was told). Anyway, it's a beautiful city with great old architecture and lots of drum circles, lol...

Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,185 times
I'll admit I did not enjoy the last few summers where it would be high 90s (borderline 100) for several straight days. Normally though, by late August you can sense the air drying out and it gets cool by sunset.

Winters here are generally nice. We don't have the blah solid overcast skies that so much of the US does. There are lots of partly sunny days. It gets into the mid 50s in the middle of the day and you don't even really need a coat if you're just going to and from your car doing errands or checking the mailbox.

Yeah there's snow and ice a few times a year. People always make a big deal about facing it, but normally it's melted off the roads by the next day.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
A town such as Asheville, NC would be a nice fit for you. I absolutely love it there. Also very artsy, liberal mountain town. It's been called the San Francisco of the east, (so I was told). Anyway, it's a beautiful city with great old architecture and lots of drum circles, lol...
I've heard something about Asheville before..I heard it was artsy.....interesting. I definitely would have to be somewhere I don't feel like I would have to worry about getting killed over my sexuality. Of course this could happen anywhere, but I do feel a sense of safety here in Seattle ( very liberal and artsy ) that I wondered if I could find anywhere in NC..

mmm..

Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I'll admit I did not enjoy the last few summers where it would be high 90s (borderline 100) for several straight days. Normally though, by late August you can sense the air drying out and it gets cool by sunset.

Winters here are generally nice. We don't have the blah solid overcast skies that so much of the US does. There are lots of partly sunny days. It gets into the mid 50s in the middle of the day and you don't even really need a coat if you're just going to and from your car doing errands or checking the mailbox.

Yeah there's snow and ice a few times a year. People always make a big deal about facing it, but normally it's melted off the roads by the next day.
Winters here are pretty mild too, most people don't believe that but it is true.

It rarely hardly snows in Seattle and if it does there is the occasional snow storm..( so rare )..and few inches of snow. We may have gotten 4 inches of snow the entire winter this year..if that.

The average winter temps here are mid 40's...very nice and mild. It mostly snows in the mountains and hardly much here in the 'valley'.

Now, if you go further north there is heavier snow and in East Washington they get heavy snow, but Seattle is surrounded by two different mountain ranges and LOTS of water which some way cast a shadow effect and we get rain in winter (light..very light) and those on other side of mountains get the very heavy snow.

I definitely would miss the cool temperatures here...that heat is exhausting and draining.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 AM

106 posts, read 193,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicCreativity View Post
I've heard something about Asheville before..I heard it was artsy.....interesting. I definitely would have to be somewhere I don't feel like I would have to worry about getting killed over my sexuality. Of course this could happen anywhere, but I do feel a sense of safety here in Seattle ( very liberal and artsy ) that I wondered if I could find anywhere in NC..

mmm..
You absolutely will have no worries about Charlotte in terms of your sexuality. It's not an issue here. You would not have any worries in any of the major cities of this state. There are towns in this state where the first openly Gay mayor was voted in more than 20 years ago. NC /= Deep South.

Asheville, does have an artsy/liberal feel to it. I like to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. It's very touristy during the warm months, and crowded. It fills up with retirees from Fla looking to avoid the summer heat & unbearable humidity in Fla. On the other side of the coin it is also much colder than most of the South during the winter. You can expect to see much snow and ice from Thanksgiving to early March.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, heat definitely sucks all of my energy which is why I am really wondering if I can endure a place where it is so hot. ( even if not the entire year )..Yet, I have a bit of a desire to move to NC. For some reason, this is the only state that stands out to me in the South; then again, I know there is so much I'd miss here. We are much more liberal and progressive which I enjoy..IDK...a lot to consider.

The cool and cold temps actually energize me, while heat drains me and even wipes me out emotionally it seems.

Thanks for the info..
OP ... If you hate the heat you will struggle in Charlotte. You ARe not going to get "used" to it. I agree a
Asheville would be a better choice for you. You'll get the seasons and summer stays bearable.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:

mmm..
I've posted many times that if you project your sexuality as your main focus, you will attract much more attention. Some of that attention will not be good.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Maybe I'm naive, but where have you heard that they are getting killed for their sexuality? I can't help but think you are talking about something illegal or something.

Granted in the 80's I guess that was in the news of men being beaten for being gay. But nowadays in the bigger cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte