U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 AM

61 posts, read 89,791 times

Advertisements

Hello....Carolinians..

I would like to know about the weather in Charlotte...

Are the summers very hot?

Is it cool most of the year? or?

I live in Seattle and I love the cool temperatures here, but think I think I want to move to the South one day; the issue I have is I do can't move anywhere where the heat is unbearable most of the year.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,871,923 times
The summer high ranges from 84 to 100 , however the latter occurs during El Nino years , and heatwaves. There will be days of 90 plus temps for about 2 months , but the only time it gets cool is from late October to mid March. So , you may or may not like this.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
The summer high ranges from 84 to 100 , however the latter occurs during El Nino years , and heatwaves. There will be days of 90 plus temps for about 2 months , but the only time it gets cool is from late October to mid March. So , you may or may not like this.
Thanks...mmm...How many months are summer months? Here, summer is not even quite two months of 80's mostly and that is not until mid July normally.

So....about 6 months out of the year it is cool?...and the other 6 months are hot?...or??

Old 06-21-2013, 04:03 AM

106 posts, read 152,702 times
This year we are experiencing an unusually cool, not typical, spring.

Typically 80 degree weather arrives in May and lasts until late Sept/early Oct. We can have weather above 90 by early June and into September. 90 degree weather will be common throughout June & August with many days approaching 100. Humidity will also be high during this time. Nights will be sultry in June, July & August. We once got relief after Labor day, but it's warmer now so the nice weather normally doesn't arrive until late Sept. After that it will be nice until Thanksgiving.

The South is hot during the summer months, no doubt it. It's why people didn't move here until Aircon was cheap enough to install in homes. Charlotte fares a little better than most of the South due to its proximity to the Appalachian mountains.

During the hot time, there will be many nice sunny days where you can do plenty outdoors, but some days will be so hot that you will not want to. Going outside can suck all the energy out of your body. (I don't mind this myself as I like the variety.)

Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 AM

177 posts, read 388,703 times
This is generally what I've found:

March-Mid June: Usually nice and comfortable, 60s-upper 70s/low 80s
Late June-Late August: Muggy, Hot, uncomfortable, 80s-low 100s
September-late November: comfortable and cooler, upper 50s-upper 70s
December-February: Variable, but not a bad winter IMO, some days in 30s but some as high as 60s

Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM

532 posts, read 1,569,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
...Charlotte fares a little better than most of the South due to its proximity to the Appalachian mountains.

Given that... the OP, if she really wants to move to this coast, may prefer living in the mountains.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 PM

533 posts, read 767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post

December-February: Variable, but not a bad winter IMO, some days in 30s but some as high as 60s
/this

Lived here my whole life.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,336,309 times
Quote:

My recollection is that the hot muggy time extends farther than August. I can't give specifics but I do not like the heat, so I'm more aware of hot days than others may be.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,912,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
My recollection is that the hot muggy time extends farther than August. I can't give specifics but I do not like the heat, so I'm more aware of hot days than others may be.
I agree it! I am sure it's correct what Aquafish wrote but it feels degrees hotter than what was written.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:

\

Thanks..This is very informative...

I may be able to endure a few months of heat.

I really do love the cool temps here which is what keeps me here if nothing else..and the mountains...and beauty overall. I wonder can I endure a few months of 80-100's...mmm....

I appreciate the info..I will ponder on this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte