Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:36 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times

Advertisements

Going through the area and was wondering about this amusement park for my family. How does it measure up to, say, the Six Flags in Texas or Georgia? On the same scale as those, or much smaller?Enough to keep us busy for a whole day? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
List of amusement park rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 AM

89 posts, read 118,729 times
Carowinds is larger than both Six Flags over Texas and Georgia, and includes more roller coasters and more flat rides in general than the other two. It's a very well kept park.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I went when I first moved here and it was horrible, dirty etc. Then I read on here that people liked it and it was cleaned up with the new owners. (New since I went)

I went this year and wow! Great kid section complete with a mini roller coaster for the kids. My oldest loved the intimidator and night hawk. (Both decent sized roller coasters) Next week will be visiting the boomerang bay section. (Water park side)

It reminded me of Great America of my childhood. I heartily recommend it. I lived in Orlando so I only have Universal or Disney to compare it to, so it's small to me but I like it a lot and all the rides are close together so easy walking. Definitely can be done in one day but entertaining enough to occupy several visits if you have season passes.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
When you grow up close to Cedar Point, Carowinds is pretty disappointing for the hype. Of course, I am a teacher, so my students would gush over it. I was disappointed, but not much compares to Cedar Point

Just stay away from the stand-up coaster (I have no idea what the name is), and you will have an enjoyable day!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 AM

177 posts, read 447,982 times
Lots of fun for the kids and, yes, you will be busy for the whole day. It's not a small park.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
When you grow up close to Cedar Point, Carowinds is pretty disappointing for the hype. Of course, I am a teacher, so my students would gush over it. I was disappointed, but not much compares to Cedar Point

Just stay away from the stand-up coaster (I have no idea what the name is), and you will have an enjoyable day!
It's funny how perspective warps experience.

I grew up with carowinds. My first trip to Disney World was a huge disappointment because I expected it to be an experience that would blow away Carowinds and it certainly wasn't.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,059 times
How does it compare???
Well, I haven't been to Six Flags in Texas. And the last time I was at the one in Georgia, we must have gone in the off-season and were really disappointed. So, I really cannot compare Carowinds (current) to either of those.

I have been to Hershey Park in PA, Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, King's Dominion near Richmond, Universal Orlando and Disney World. The last time I went to KD, Carowinds and KD were owned by the same company; they were similar in size, cleanliness and the way they were run. Carowinds has been sold a few times since then.

For me, WDW is the ultimate. Then I really love Busch Gardens. I do like Carowinds, especially for the convenience. Over the years, through all the new owners and upgrades, Carowinds has really improved. I also love the fact that it has a water park connected to it. When my son was younger, we even got the annual passes.

Could you spend an entire day there? OH YEAH!

Last edited by LakesideAnnie; 06-21-2013 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: remembered another park I'd been to.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM

89 posts, read 118,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
How does it compare???
Well, I haven't been to Six Flags in Texas. And the last time I was at the one in Georgia, we must have gone in the off-season and were really disappointed. So, I really cannot compare Carowinds (current) to either of those.

I have been to Hershey Park in PA, Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, King's Dominion near Richmond, Universal Orlando and Disney World. The last time I went to KD, Carowinds and KD were owned by the same company; they were similar in size, cleanliness and the way they were run. Carowinds has been sold a few times since then.

For me, WDW is the ultimate. Then I really love Busch Gardens. I do like Carowinds, especially for the convenience. Over the years, through all the new owners and upgrades, Carowinds has really improved. I also love the fact that it has a water park connected to it. When my son was younger, we even got the annual passes.

Could you spend an entire day there? OH YEAH!
Carowinds and Kings Dominion are still owned by the same company and have been since the 90's.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginian101 View Post
Carowinds and Kings Dominion are still owned by the same company and have been since the 90's.
I thought Carowinds was bought out recently. It's vastly different from a few years ago to now.

Edited to add: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carowinds

I usually don't source wikipedia but in this case the info is correct and I am too lazy to search further. Cedars bought them out in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte