U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:35 AM

2,144 posts, read 2,614,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
upon further review... this ESPN app only works if you have a cable subscription. Hopefully in the near future they will make it viewable with just internet connection.

Its still a plus though because ESPN3 show a ton of college football and basketball games.
So basically all that happened is that Apple TV finally joined the rest of the streaming media players and got a little more current.

Unfortunately, without a cable subscription, none of the options out there now will make a true sports fan completely satisfied. I'm one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 AM

539 posts, read 1,311,897 times
I cut the cord early last year and used antenna/Netflix and a HTPC that I built. I was able to watch sports with a sling-box that was hooked up to my brothers TV in NY but still went back to Directv last winter. I went back basically because of having too many different interfaces and boxes to have to switch between to find the content that I wanted. Also, with the exception of locals, finding new content was difficult. You are limited to older content.

Having said that, I will probably cut the cord when my contract is up. I updated my HTPC with XBMC as an interface and with all the plug-ins it has I can watch anything that I want with a single easy to navigate interface.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
So basically all that happened is that Apple TV finally joined the rest of the streaming media players and got a little more current.

Unfortunately, without a cable subscription, none of the options out there now will make a true sports fan completely satisfied. I'm one of those.
The sports thing is the most difficult part of cutting the cord for most sport fans. You can get around that with a sling-box if you know someone who will hook it up to their system. There are also plenty of sites that you can find that stream, but as to the legality of those.......

Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Just be thankful that Time Warner is one of the few cable companies that does not put caps on our data usage. We watch a few shows per night on Netflix and our data usage is over 100 GB per month!
Take a close look at the terms - they can charge you if they feel you are using too much data:
Data Usage FAQs | Time Warner Cable

Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM

106 posts, read 152,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
Take a close look at the terms - they can charge you if they feel you are using too much data:
Data Usage FAQs | Time Warner Cable
Those particular terms are for a low cost plan that does have a cap. I'm not sure, but I don't think it is offered in NC.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,614,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
The sports thing is the most difficult part of cutting the cord for most sport fans. You can get around that with a sling-box if you know someone who will hook it up to their system. There are also plenty of sites that you can find that stream, but as to the legality of those.......
Yeah I've seen those streaming sites pop up from time to time but they are too iffy when the big game is on and you can't miss it. Plus the whole legal thing. haha Slingbox is a good alternative if you do have someone that you can rely on.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 AM

226 posts, read 313,783 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Plex for the roku. It streams a lot of stuff directly from your computer, including shows from various tv websites. There's an HGTV channel, for instance, with hundreds of on-demand episodes of various shows. Essentially, if they have the show on HGTV.com, then you can watch it with your roku with Plex. They also have a CBS app with Plex (and abc, nbc, etc) so you can stream tv shows from their websites. It's a terrific app.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:20 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,028,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Plex for the roku. It streams a lot of stuff directly from your computer, including shows from various tv websites. There's an HGTV channel, for instance, with hundreds of on-demand episodes of various shows. Essentially, if they have the show on HGTV.com, then you can watch it with your roku with Plex. They also have a CBS app with Plex (and abc, nbc, etc) so you can stream tv shows from their websites. It's a terrific app.
I hadn't heard of that! And it looks like a free service?

I came across PlayOn, which does the same thing, but works only with Windows and has a nominal fee.

Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,644,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I hadn't heard of that! And it looks like a free service?

I came across PlayOn, which does the same thing, but works only with Windows and has a nominal fee.

Interesting! Thanks for the info.
I haven't looked in to Plex but I will. PlayOn can also stream to devices such as the XBOX which is what I used to watch stuff on TV.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Apple TV also has the HBOGo app and if I can pay for HBOGo without having cable I doubt I will have cable much longer.
The way I understand it, to use the HBOGo app, one needs to already have a subscription to HBO through their current cable provider. I was unable to use the app when it first came out, as TWC was not one of the initial cable companies supported by the app (although it now is). Showtime recently came out with a similar app, but I am unable to use it on any of my devices because TWC is not among the included cable companies yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Just be thankful that Time Warner is one of the few cable companies that does not put caps on our data usage. We watch a few shows per night on Netflix and our data usage is over 100 GB per month!
The thing is - if too many people start dropping cable in order to watch shows cheaper via streaming services (Apple TV, through their Roku box, etc), the cable companies will simply start making up that lost revenue by upping their internet rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte