Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,462,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
I think we're all tiptoeing around the elephant in the room. MB has a reputation of being trashy and low rent- compared to the Charleston area beaches.

I know a lot of the proud MB folks want to disagree, but perception is reality.
Maybe where you stay at in MB.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
I think there is definitely a classist perception that Myrtle Beach is blue collar or even "trashy," whereas Charleston/Hilton Head, the Outer Banks, and Rehoboth/Dewey Beach are affluent and upper class destinations. Those widespread perceptions are indeed based on classism but definitely reflect real-world preferences.

Last edited by Tarheelhombre; 06-25-2013 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I think there is definitely a classist perception that Myrtle Beach is blue collar or even "trashy," whereas Charleston, the Outer Banks, and Rehobeth Beach are affluent and upper class destinations. Those widespread perceptions are indeed based on classism.
It's the truth. I moved to MB for a job, but I knew what to expect. Out of here next June

Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
This thread is about vacationing and not living there.
There is nothing trashy about this amazing skyline

Myrtle Beach has the most entertainment kid and adult than any other beach town in this thread.
Best part this town doesnt shut down in the off season so it great for a weekend getaway all year long.

It would seem SC would make effort to extend I20 from Florence to MB then besides Charlotteans all the land lock states to our east could get there too.

Im ok without an interstate it only 3.5 to 4 hours riding enjoying the country scenery and cotton fields. You can leave at 10 and arrive at check in and have the whole day to enjoy.
Or leave at check out and have plenty time to unpack and get ready for the next day.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Maybe where you stay at in MB.....
Cherry Grove, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle, Atlantic Beach, and Garden City are all 'trashier' than anywhere else in the state. That stretch has a mediocre reputation for a reason. Broadway at the Beach can be flat-out dangerous.

There's nothing that bad south of Murrells Inlet. MB is definitely trashy compared to Kiawah, DeBordieau, Seabrook, Sullivans, Daufuskie, Fripp, or Hilton Head.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,462,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Cherry Grove, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle, Atlantic Beach, and Garden City are all 'trashier' than anywhere else in the state. That stretch has a mediocre reputation for a reason. Broadway at the Beach can be flat-out dangerous.

There's nothing that bad south of Murrells Inlet. MB is definitely trashy compared to Kiawah, DeBordieau, Seabrook, Sullivans, Daufuskie, Fripp, or Hilton Head.
You ever been to Folly Beach? It's south of MB and I definitely was not blown away by the 'class' it was giving off when we stayed there for a week a couple of years ago.

Broadway at the Beach dangerous? LOL Afraid the speedboat in the lagoon is gonna come up and splash you?

I'm not even a MB fan really, and there are trashy parts of MB, but unless you are in an exclusive, nearly private area like Kiawah, you will always have that. Again, the places/areas I stay when vacationing in MB or NMB are all perfectly safe and quite nice. Can you stay at a seedy place in MB? Of course you can, but to pigeon hole an entire area where MILLIONS of people vacation each year is a bit of a stretch, even if you hate the place.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,662 times
Quote:
you have to consider:

(A) When the interstates were planned, Myrtle Beach barely even existed.. it wasn't incorporated as a city until 1957.

(B) Interstate planning is highly political -- North Carolina's leaders were never too interested in funnelling tourist dollars into South Carolina

(C) Wilmington and Charleston both have ports, which Charlotte wants access to for industrial purposes -- Myrtle Beach has no port.

(D) Wilmington, Hilton Head, and Charleston all have beaches that are just as good (if not better) than Myrtle Beach, and all are reasonably close.

Anyway, it's important to understand what Myrtle Beach was like before the invention of the automobile, which was basically a malaria-filled economically-depressed hell-hole. In the old days the terrain was so poor that you couldn't even get horses into Waccamaw neck -- they had to use Ox instead. If you look at a map of roads in eastern SC, very few roads of any capacity "lead to Myrtle Beach" , because prior to the automobile there was no Myrtle Beach.
Point C makes a lot of sense, that's why US 74 will eventually be upgraded into an expressway between Wilmington and Charlotte!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,043 times
Quote:

Huntington island sc - Google Search

http://www.google.com/search?q=kiwah...MoXO9QSkpICICA

Low Country, SC wins, when it comes to sheer beauty of the beaches. Myrtle Beach wins hands down win it comes to entertainment, which is actually a special gift for SC that many states don't have on the East Coast....

Back to the topic....I-2O being expanded to Myrtle Beach is a direct path for a lot of folks like someone said. I-20 in Florence would not be a huge expansion and there is plenty of open space...Even if it ended in Conway..

Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM

58 posts, read 208,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginian101 View Post
No it's not.
MYRTLE BEACH: Horry County among the fastest growing counties in the nation | Business | MyrtleBeachOnline.com

73rd out of over 3000 counties in the country. Under most measurements that would be considered one of the fastest growing in the country.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You ever been to Folly Beach? It's south of MB and I definitely was not blown away by the 'class' it was giving off when we stayed there for a week a couple of years ago.
yes, i've been to folly beach. not only is it not that bad, but it is just a small speck of 2,000 people within the greater Charleston area. It doesn't provide a very strong counterpoint to my argument that Horry County is dramatically worse than the rest of the south carolina coast.

Quote:
Broadway at the Beach dangerous? LOL Afraid the speedboat in the lagoon is gonna come up and splash you?
i haven't been there in a very long time -- but yes, sources i find credible have told me that broadway at the beach has really gone downhill.

being the internet and all, i typed in "'broadway at the beach' crime" and it was not difficult to find recent examples of sketchiness to support that opinion.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...-gunpoint.html
Broadway at the Beach assaults result in two arrests - MyHorryNews.com: Crime
MYRTLE BEACH: Man shot during robbery attempt at Myrtle Beach’s Broadway at the Beach | Crime | MyrtleBeachOnline.com
MYRTLE BEACH: N.C. man charged with reckless driving inside Myrtle Beach’s Broadway at the Beach | Crime | MyrtleBeachOnline.com
Woman reports purse was cut from her shoulder at Broadway at the Beach | Crime | MyrtleBeachOnline.com
MYRTLE BEACH: Police: 3 women assault, drag woman by hair at Broadway at the Beach | Crime | MyrtleBeachOnline.com

Last edited by le roi; 07-23-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte