Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
As a white male, I'm not offended by what she said.
This should be standard practice for all citizens regarding all statements made by MECKBOCC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
I misspoke about Ratliff earlier. She isn't a district commissioner, she is one of the 3 at large commissioners. So just one election away from losing that job.
And it is tradition that the 2nd top vote getter gets to be vice-chair but every once in awhile a dem will conspire with reps to overthrow a dem. Sorry, point being she's vice-chair.

I really found her charming but that's due to the fact she tweets and I like anyone that dare communicates directly with the peasants. I don't know if there were any signs of this before hand. She seemed nice.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 AM

106 posts, read 194,066 times
All Mecklenburg county commissioners are required, by state constitution & statutes, to take the NC "Oath of Office" before they can assume their elected position. This includes Ratliff.

The oath requires that the US and NC Constitutions be upheld by the party taking the oath and anyone who doesn't is operating outside the law. Both documents specifically have statements that say there will not be government discrimination based on race. There are numerous NC statutes that cover this as well.

Therefore by going on record to the press that Ratliff will consider race in her decisions related to her elected position, she is not abiding by the oath she took. Then again, I've noticed that people of her political persuasion and party don't seem to pay much mind to the Constitution these days. Again no surprises.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
All Mecklenburg county commissioners are required, by state constitution & statutes, to take the NC "Oath of Office" before they can assume their elected position. This includes Ratliff.

The oath requires that the US and NC Constitutions be upheld by the party taking the oath and anyone who doesn't is operating outside the law. Both documents specifically have statements that say there will not be government discrimination based on race. There are numerous NC statutes that cover this as well.

Therefore by going on record to the press that Ratliff will consider race in her decisions related to her elected position, she is not abiding by the oath she took. Then again, I've noticed that people of her political persuasion and party don't seem to pay much mind to the Constitution these days. Again no surprises.
I think that's debatable. And I think everyone will consider race because that's one of the things that is hard to turn off. But while she might have a preference and maybe even the intent, what she said was not she would only vote for a black man. So I think you position there is a bit shaky.

Here's the oath:

§ 11-7. Oath or affirmation to support Constitutions; all officers to take.

Every member of the General Assembly and every person elected or appointed to hold any office of trust or profit in the State shall, before taking office or entering upon the execution of the office, take and subscribe to the following oath:

"I, ___________, do solemnly and sincerely swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States; that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the State of North Carolina, and to the constitutional powers and authorities which are or may be established for the government thereof; and that I will endeavor to support, maintain and defend the Constitution of said State, not inconsistent with the Constitution of the United States, to the best of my knowledge and ability; so help me God."

Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This goes back to what I said about age. Paula Deen was asked if she had ever used a specific slur. As I said, find me a person who has never used any slurs who is over 50. I'm not speaking of just white people, either. People of all races & backgrounds used them. White people had slurs for blacks & Asians, Black people had slurs for white people & Asians, etc.

Ratliff is a black official indicating that applications for a job will not be entertained from women & white men. What she said had a little polish to it, but she didn't say it in the past, she said it now. She's poisoned the well for filling a job that by law is supposed to be open to all.
This is exactly what happened in both cases and while both involve race they are completely different.

Most celebs/TV personalities gets paid a ton and stations are quick to fire when they feel their advertising money is in jeopardy. Politicians tend to have more rope to hang themselves with and it's much harder to force one out...especially when the latter didn't admit to using a racial slur.

I know the Paula Deen story is fresh and hot off the presses but I think it's going over board to use her show cancellation/public spanking as a measuring stick for the Ratcliff incident.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I think Ratcliffe was implying someone accustomed to working with a diverse group of people regardless of race...implying it be a non-white male should never be the criteria. She should clarify and apologize.

Paula Deen is a product of generational racism that might be oblivious to her. That type of language and attitude is commonplace within some family/community circles...not surprised at all.
I agree... maybe the apples to oranges made it seem like I favored one over the other but that isn't the case.

I'm simply pointing out that these incidents aren't one in the same and people shouldn't expect or demand both suffer the same fate.

Celebs are paid millions for a reason... I don't think it's a good idea to use Paula Deen as a measuring stick for how we should react to a racial slur or any incident that involves a woman and race. IMO it's never a good idea to use a celebrity as a barometer for how one is punished in the real world.

It's like using Charlie Sheen as an example when discussing a politician who gets into a domestic dispute or is accused of drug use... or using Lindsey Lohan when discussing a politician who gets a DUI.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What Ratcliff said was not merely "insensitive." It was quite revealing and indicative of prejudice and bias, against white people and women, as well.
In a thread on that tweet thing, I stated that I, "took offense to her comments." That was it - no detail, just that I had an issue with what she said. In not one, but two responses to me on twitter she said, "I am not a racist" and "this is not a black and white issue." In fact, I took issue with her qualifers regarding race and gender, but she responded to me under the assumption that my ire was only with the race part. That says a lot about her mentality.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This is exactly what happened in both cases and while both involve race they are completely different.

Most celebs/TV personalities gets paid a ton and stations are quick to fire when they feel their advertising money is in jeopardy. Politicians tend to have more rope to hang themselves with and it's much harder to force one out...especially when the latter didn't admit to using a racial slur.

I know the Paula Deen story is fresh and hot off the presses but I think it's going over board to use her show cancellation/public spanking as a measuring stick for the Ratcliff incident.
You're missing something.

Paula Deen grew up in a world where slurs abounded. There were racial slurs & slurs for national origin. There were also words used as slurs by men for women. Slurs were so plentiful that many people adopted slurs to refer to themselves. The further you go under 50, the less exposure people have to that world.

Paula Deen was put into a Catch 22 position when she was asked if she had ever used a specific slur. She told the truth.

Ms. Ratliff did not use a slur. She stated that she wanted a non-white male hired for a specific job. What about qualified white men & qualified women (of all races)? What's her excuse for that? She did not grow up in a world when most decent-paying jobs were closed to women (all women, not just black women)

What's the connection? It's the fact that there should be no connection whatsoever, but yet there is. Ms. Ratliff has poisoned the well for a job. Her connection to the world that Paula Deen grew up in is through people who also grew up in that world. She stated a racial & gender preference of who would get a job. She did it now, not years ago.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
In a thread on that tweet thing, I stated that I, "took offense to her comments." That was it - no detail, just that I had an issue with what she said. In not one, but two responses to me on twitter she said, "I am not a racist" and "this is not a black and white issue." In fact, I took issue with her qualifers regarding race and gender, but she responded to me under the assumption that my ire was only with the race part. That says a lot about her mentality.
Sure does. And it says a lot to me how the black community wants to just gloss this over.

The facts are . . . she revealed that she is deeply prejudiced against white men specificially and that she engages in discrimination and stereotypical thinking.

She flat out stated that she wants someone forward thinking and that, to her, means they have to be "non-white." Her statement revealed that she is prejudiced. Anyone involved in a jury selection process knows full well what I am saying. Such a statement is indicative of deeply ingrained bias. The bias is no different than what blacks have accused whites of for years - prejudice (and stereotypical thinking). Folks get rejected b/f the interview has even begun b/c they do not match up to a preconceived notion about that person's ability to do the job, simply based on his/her ethnicity.

But as usual, when it is a black person displaying racism and cultural bias . . . let's just sweep it under the rug. She didn't really mean it. She just meant she wants diversity. Bull Feathers. WE HAVE DIVERSITY. She meant she didn't want a white man in the job. She wants black folks in every position in the city and county, cause only black people are "forward thinking."

Sad day that when black leaders are the majority at the table, they can't afford the same "forward thinking" that white folks did when we made sure that by law, black folks had the right to those seats at that same table.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

I agree, Paula Deen is a cook. Her views are utterly immaterial.

Ratcliff on the other hand, is an elected official, who has demonstrated by her public statement she is a racists and prejudiced individual. She should be removed from office, by whatever means necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte