Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:49 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
They seem to be putting a lot of Wegmans in the DC area. If they open another distribution center they probably will come to Charlotte. They probably won't go beyond Charlotte unless they plan to go to Florida.
Wegman's nearest distribution center is in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. The other is in Rochester, New York. I do not know how many stores each distribution center can support. If it can support more than 83 stores in six states, it should focus on increasing store count beyond three additional stores each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I agree, unless they have a distribution solution, I wouldn't expect them to go beyond Raleigh but you never know. We were all surprised they went to Raleigh so I never say never. But that is usually the case for large chains, They don't go too much more than 300-400 miles from the Distribution center because the truck drivers need to be able to drive it in one night to get product fresh to stores.
Wegman's may not be the only supermarket needing a distribution solution. With its expansion in North Carolina, Virginia and possibly beyond, Publix's Dacula, Georgia, distribution center may be overwhelmed supporting additional stores.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:06 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Wegmans (no apostrophe) doesn't need a "distribution solution." With their latest plan to expand further south, and build their first NC store (Cary), their expansion plans are well underway.

Wegmans hails from this area, and we're treated almost daily to something new about the store and its expansion plans. NC is only the beginning.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:52 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I agree, unless they have a distribution solution, I wouldn't expect them to go beyond Raleigh but you never know. We were all surprised they went to Raleigh so I never say never. But that is usually the case for large chains, They don't go too much more than 300-400 miles from the Distribution center because the truck drivers need to be able to drive it in one night to get product fresh to stores.
I wasn't surprised and said so often here. Once they went to Northern Virginia and then Richmond, it was clear that a little skip down the road to Durham-Raleigh-Cary was too appetizing to turn down. They would do whatever it took to enter into this attractive, affluent market and complete their takeover of the Mid Atlantic affluent market. Now, the question is will they next go to the adjacent Triad market or leapfrog all the way to Charlotte.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:25 PM

127 posts, read 102,171 times
Huge Wegmans fan here! But I have to say that not all their stores are created equal. When I used to live in PA, I had the opportunity to shop at several of them, and their selection depended very much on the age of the store. But they are expensive, indeed. Back in the days when I still lived in CLT, HT seemed very similar, especially the South Park store. I suppose that has changed? Sad to hear that Kroger bought them.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:31 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
Huge Wegmans fan here! But I have to say that not all their stores are created equal. When I used to live in PA, I had the opportunity to shop at several of them, and their selection depended very much on the age of the store. But they are expensive, indeed. Back in the days when I still lived in CLT, HT seemed very similar, especially the South Park store. I suppose that has changed? Sad to hear that Kroger bought them.
This thread is a Wegmans thread. There's a generic grocery thread further down the page that covers multiple chains & people are free to ask where they can get grocery items, as well.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:56 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This thread is a Wegmans thread. There's a generic grocery thread further down the page that covers multiple chains & people are free to ask where they can get grocery items, as well.
??? He said he was a huge Wegmans fan.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:02 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
??? He said he was a huge Wegmans fan.
So? He's lived here before. If he wants to catch up on groceries in the area the other thread might do the trick for him. In the mean time, Wegmans is looking in the Triangle, so they are still a few years off.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:43 PM

127 posts, read 102,171 times
I was posting, having Wegmans in mind, as I m thrilled to see them venture south. Like some others, I'd be willing to accept a commute to Cary, if the situation presented itself.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
I was posting, having Wegmans in mind, as I m thrilled to see them venture south. Like some others, I'd be willing to accept a commute to Cary, if the situation presented itself.
You would drive from Charlotte to Cary for groceries? Who else has said they will do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte