U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,643,982 times

Advertisements

Doubt this affects many people here but CATS is discontinuing the Orange Line. I wonder if this was cost or ridership as I never liked the Orange because it was real slow when I tried riding it. But if there was a real "need" I can't help thinking about the cost of the streetcar and the fact that we already had something that was giving free rides and not running full very often.

Gold Rush is partly paid for with corporate subsidies. Basically helps those companies move their employees around from different parking lots.

The Red Line I think is more valuable because of the economic impact of being able to move people from the Government Center to eateries etc. at lunch. That's just my opinion and not based on any studies.

CATS press release:

Gold Rush Orange Line will be discontinued effective July 1, 2013. Orange Line service will no longer be provided. However, passengers may use various CATS local bus services to travel along Tryon Street and Morehead Street. The regular fare for local service is $2.00.

Passengers may contact CATS Customer Service at 704-336-RIDE (7433) to determine which local bus route meets their transit needs.

The Orange Line is still listed on CATS website as a connector between city center and the Blue Line.

Gold Rush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,868,147 times
Not surprised, I use the red line, which I believe Johnson C Smith & CPCC pay towards, the corporate sponsors of the orange line withdrew funding not deeming it necessary anymore.

See below post found the article with much more detail.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,868,147 times
Uptown Charlotte’s free Gold Rush bus service on Tryon Street should be suspended in July because federal funding for it will end, according to a recommendation by Center City Partners.

The Gold Rush Orange line, which carried 300,769 riders last fiscal year, is a favorite of uptown workers who park at the edge of uptown and take the trolley-like buses to their offices.

But two federal grants worth a total $393,361 expire at the end of June, and private contributions have also declined, according to a presentation by Center City Partners.

The City Council was scheduled to discuss the proposal Monday night but didn’t have time for the agenda item during its dinner meeting.

Olaf Kinard, a marketing manager for the Charlotte Area Transit System, said the weak economy has made it harder to secure grants and donations from businesses.

“This is the same story that’s been happening for everyone,” Kinard said.

Monday’s PowerPoint presentation, prepared by Center City Partners, said that CATS and Center City Partners recommended suspending the Orange Line. CATS said Tuesday it hasn’t made a formal decision on the line’s fate.

Under the proposal, the Gold Rush Red Line – which runs along Trade Street – would remain. The Red Line made 643,340 passenger trips last year. The city is planning to build a streetcar along Trade Street that would replace the Gold Rush.

Lines cost $1.5 million

The two free lines cost $1.5 million to operate annually. The Charlotte Area Transit System contributes $380,000 and the state pays $356,290. Private contributions from Bank of America, Johnson C. Smith University and Central Piedmont Community College and others total $380,000.

Center City Partners, an uptown booster and think tank, helps raise money from the private contributors. Center City Partners is mostly funded by a special property tax levied on property owners inside Interstate 277 and South End.

The group said it spent $62,325 this year on the Gold Rush.

Center City Partners spokesperson Moira Quinn said, “We are not set up to solely fund transportation projects at the expense of other projects in our program of work.”

The city and Center City Partners have hired a consultant, Nelson/Nygaard, to study the Gold Rush and see how it can be improved.

The Red Line along Trade Street carries a little more than 60 passengers for each hour the Gold Rush operates. The Orange Line carries a little less than 40 riders per hour, according to the presentation.

The CATS system average is about 25 passengers per revenue-hour of service.

Read more here: Tryon Street Gold Rush service in jeopardy | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
The Red Line along Trade Street carries a little more than 60 passengers for each hour the Gold Rush operates. The Orange Line carries a little less than 40 riders per hour, according to the presentation.
60 per hour due to multiple rounds per hour. Wonder how's that's going to change with the streetcar. Will the Red Line go away? Will ridership increase when people have to pay?

Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,472,424 times
I occasionally used the Orange line to go from the square to the gov't center. But I'd just as often walk, because it's not really that far, and I felt like it took as much time to wait for the vehicles.

Why does a line cost 1.5 million to run anyway? We could probably outsource it to a shuttle van company for much less.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I occasionally used the Orange line to go from the square to the gov't center. But I'd just as often walk, because it's not really that far, and I felt like it took as much time to wait for the vehicles.

Why does a line cost 1.5 million to run anyway? We could probably outsource it to a shuttle van company for much less.
Teamsters must be part of it. They are not going to let non union outsourcing crowd them out.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,087,382 times
I used Gold Rush when I first got here a lot but the times got slower and slower to the point where you eventually could just walk and it was much faster. Most times, I would walk from Epicenter to Gateway and not a single GR vehicle would pass me. I guess you can only expect so much for free but it was a really nice service while it worked well.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I used Gold Rush when I first got here a lot but the times got slower and slower to the point where you eventually could just walk and it was much faster. Most times, I would walk from Epicenter to Gateway and not a single GR vehicle would pass me. I guess you can only expect so much for free but it was a really nice service while it worked well.
My favorite is when there are two Red Line shuttles bumper to bumper evidently because the drivers think it's "cute".

Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM

902 posts, read 1,397,847 times
I actually loved the Gold Rush

Old 06-26-2013, 02:05 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,272,468 times
In its heyday, when BofA and Wachovia paid for it and there were 4 lines - it worked really well. Too bad BofA stopped supporting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte