U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:11 PM

540 posts, read 1,519,277 times

Advertisements

I get letters all the time from my LAWSON HOA...
letters for lawn, weeds, a dead tree (wasn't mine), commercial vehicle, garbage cans out...
the only thing they seem to let slide is cars on the street. I cant attest to that but I do see the same cars parked there, night after night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:50 PM

284 posts, read 530,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Asking for a strict HOA is like asking for a well groomed vampire.
When someone asks me what turns me on, my immediate reply is "A well-groomed vampire!"

Last edited by Gator803; 06-27-2013 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: I am grossly uneducated and require two chances, every time.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
What was the world like before HOAs? How did we exist? Much like what did we do before the invention of air conditioners.

HOA's basically give one private home owner a path to tattle tale on another private home owner.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
What was the world like before HOAs? How did we exist? Much like what did we do before the invention of air conditioners.

HOA's basically give one private home owner a path to tattle tale on another private home owner.
Our management company makes drive-bys.

I did find out that the adjoining neighborhood has an HOA and no dues or governance. Someone was asking about restrictions but for enforcement they'd have to sue each other.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Our management company makes drive-bys.

I did find out that the adjoining neighborhood has an HOA and no dues or governance. Someone was asking about restrictions but for enforcement they'd have to sue each other.
I've lived in a couple HOA communities here and I can say I haven't had any real run ins with them. However the more and more I see it, I don't really see it more as just another business model that's really benefits the business more so than than the members. I really gasp (or cringe) that if you miss your dues, they can foreclosure your home. Honestly it's in the same category of a pay day loan or a car title loan business.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I've lived in a couple HOA communities here and I can say I haven't had any real run ins with them. However the more and more I see it, I don't really see it more as just another business model that's really benefits the business more so than than the members. I really gasp (or cringe) that if you miss your dues, they can foreclosure your home. Honestly it's in the same category of a pay day loan or a car title loan business.
Our management company sent out lien notices for the late fee on pool dues that weren't late. But here the defenders say the only people that complain are the ones that don't play by the rules or say if you don't like it you should move.

Things would go a long way if there was mandatory training and licensing of the management companies. That's really all I ask.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Our management company sent out lien notices for the late fee on pool dues that weren't late. But here the defenders say the only people that complain are the ones that don't play by the rules or say if you don't like it you should move.

Things would go a long way if there was mandatory training and licensing of the management companies. That's really all I ask.
See that is just silly (the lien for pool fees). I mean, report to a credit bureau, deny them their use of the pool, but to put a lien on your home??? That is just sick and I dare say unAmerican...

Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times
Quote:
It also gives homeowners a way to deal with a situation and have their dispute resolved in a professional manner.

Are there some busybodies who misuse the system? Sure. But in my experience in my homes so far, the benefits of the HOAs where I have lived have gladly outweighed the negative.

Quote:
I really gasp (or cringe) that if you miss your dues, they can foreclosure your home.
That is weird to me too. It must be an NC thing, because that was not something the HOA in my old neighborhood back in Baltimore had the power to do.

Quote:
Honestly it's in the same category of a pay day loan or a car title loan business.
How so? Those are businesses that prey on low-income people for profit. HOAs (in theory) are collecting dues for services rendered. We pay HOA dues every month. For those fees, they take care of the landscaping (I never have to mow the lawn, trim my hedges or water the grass), the pool and other community areas as well as pay for our trash collection services and our water bills.

We had some significant damage to the outside of our house last week (a car ran into our deck and knocked it half down). Our HOA manager got the contractors out there to fix it in less than 48 hours and he is the one dealing with the insurance company of the person who caused the damage to collect the costs of getting our deck re-built. It is one major thing I don't have to deal with.

Quote:
See that is just silly (the lien for pool fees). I mean, report to a credit bureau, deny them their use of the pool, but to put a lien on your home??? That is just sick and I dare say unAmerican...
Again, I think the lein thing is a bit over the top. But...hey...people sign a contract agreeing to abide by the HOA rules and regulations, and any related penalties - it was their choice to sign that agreement in the first place. They could have chosen to live elsewhere.

Several months ago, a notice went around to everyone in our neighborhood noting that a number of homes were months (and in a couple of cases, over a year) behind in paying their dues. It didn't come from the HOA (which is managed by a private company right now, not us residents) so no one knows how the person who printed up this notice got the information. But by the same token, I have been paying for services being used by others (who are not paying their fair share) for some time. And there is a chance that our dues could go up to cover these deadbeats. Someone hasn't paid their dues in over a year? Kick em out - I have no problem with that.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,411,390 times
Why can't people just go knock on a door and say something about the problem rather than having someone else complain for them? Afraid they might get a door shut in their face? Or just afraid to talk to someone about what usually is a minor issue? We have turned into a bunch of wimps.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Again, I think the lein thing is a bit over the top. But...hey...people sign a contract agreeing to abide by the HOA rules and regulations, and any related penalties - it was their choice to sign that agreement in the first place. They could have chosen to live elsewhere.
Yes, they could have chosen to live elsewhere. No people don't sing a contract of any kind with an HOA. It was not their choice to sign that agreement because there was no agreement.

And older neighborhoods had their "contracts" overridden by the industry allowing neighborhoods that did not anticipate the appetite to take a house away over $6.25. That is a matter of law.

Tell me, how was I to anticipate the State allowing the industry to fine and lien on my home when it isn't in my HOA CCRs?

There is nothing in my CCRs that allow fines for violations yet they absolutely took 20 houses last year through the lien process. I suppose it's my fault I didn't know this was going to happen. What will be my fault for not knowing what will happen in 10 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte