Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

I just want to start out by saying I applaud anyone who is running towards a fire... but today I witnessed some strange driving by 2 fire trucks.

On my way to work this morning I'm driving down the road. I'm in the left lane and there is a van right next to me in the right lane. I see a fire truck with it's lights on approaching from the opposite direction in the left lane (well, actually he is straddling the double yellow line to the point where the front left tire was in my lane). There are no cars in font of him or in the right lane... but for some reason he is driving while straddling the yellow line the whole time.

I slowed down and stopped and so did the van next to me. I tried to get over but the van is on my right so I'm stuck in the left lane. I didn't have anywhere to go but I quickly turned my car to the right as far as I could which was maybe a foot. He barely missed me and I expected him to turn immediately but he kept driving while straddling the yellow line until I couldn't see him any longer. Odd... very odd.

IMO this was definitely off... I've never seen a fire truck straddle a yellow line when they have access to 2 lanes and they are driving straight.

but wait, there's more...

On my way from work I'm driving on Sugar Creek by North Davidson. I see a fire truck approaching from the opposite direction. There are 5 to 6 cars in the left lane waiting to turn onto N. Davidson and the fire truck is a quarter mile from the cars in the left lane... the right lane is totally clear but the fire truck forces every car to move to the right lane and continues towards the fire.

Is the fire truck correct to force people out of the left lane even though there were no cars in the right lane? I expected the truck to turn left but it kept going straight. I know you are supposed to pull over when you see a fire truck but when one pops up on you in traffic I thought the procedure was to stay where you are if there is a lane open.

I've always thought Charlotte drivers were pretty good when it came to ambulances and fire trucks but today it looked like there was a fireman who woke up on the wrong side and tried his best to make his trips more adventurous than it needed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Sounds hot

After watching Under the Dome last night that would freak me out.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Yeah those are odd. I'd probably try to get to the right if I could just in case he was trying to turn left. Not sure why they'd be straddling the yellow line like that with no other traffic. Your lucky day I guess!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I think they straddle the line to have a clearer perspective on all traffic approaching from the road crossings as well as on each side of the road ahead. Since the rule is - pull as far over to the right as you can, the assumption is that emergency vehicles will stay to the left, rather than zig zag in and out of traffic lanes that appear to be "open" as they approach.

I have had the sheer bejeebers scared out of me over the years with emergency vehicles suddenly appearing in my rear view mirror.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think they straddle the line to have a clearer perspective on all traffic approaching from the road crossings as well as on each side of the road ahead. Since the rule is - pull as far over to the right as you can, the assumption is that emergency vehicles will stay to the left, rather than zig zag in and out of traffic lanes that appear to be "open" as they approach.

I have had the sheer bejeebers scared out of me over the years with emergency vehicles suddenly appearing in my rear view mirror.
The more I think about it I can see why they wouldn't want to change lanes due to thinking someone may move to the right suddenly...

but straddling the line when there is no traffic on their side of the road while I'm stuck in the left lane due to traffic was odd.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
...but straddling the line when there is no traffic on their side of the road while I'm stuck in the left lane due to traffic was odd.
...and possibly illegal, based on your description of the event.

Pulled from § 20-156 Exceptions to the right-of-way rule

(b) This provision shall not operate to relieve the driver of a police or fire department vehicle or public or private ambulance or rescue squad emergency service vehicle or county fire marshals or civil preparedness coordinators..... from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway, nor shall it protect the driver of any such vehicle or county fire marshal or civil preparedness coordinator from the consequence of any arbitrary exercise of such right-of-way...

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
i also have seen it to avoid sudden turn outs from the side streets. They won't have to veer to avoid them. And if traffic is clear on both sides, it's even easier to do.

What I do think is odd is forcing the cars onto the right from the second incident you described.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
i also have seen it to avoid sudden turn outs from the side streets. They won't have to veer to avoid them. And if traffic is clear on both sides, it's even easier to do.

What I do think is odd is forcing the cars onto the right from the second incident you described.
but traffic wasn't clear on both sides... I could see if I was in the right lane and the left lane was clear but I was stuck due to a van being in my right lane. The fire truck didn't budge at all.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
That van in the right lane beside you must have been real looooooooog for you not to be able to speed up and get in front of it or SLOW down quickly and then drop in behind it. LAW says you got to move over to the right curve and stop while the firetruck goes by,,,,,,,,,,you didnt do it. Study up on your drivers handbook and avoid this next time.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
That van in the right lane beside you must have been real looooooooog for you not to be able to speed up and get in front of it or SLOW down quickly and then drop in behind it. LAW says you got to move over to the right curve and stop while the firetruck goes by,,,,,,,,,,you didnt do it. Study up on your drivers handbook and avoid this next time.
I wasnt going to speed up towards an oncoming fire truck straddling the yellow line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte