U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about relocating from California to either the Charlotte area or western North Carolina. We don't live in the stereotypical California climate. In fact the forecast shows it is supposed to get up to 116 degrees this week! We live near the Mojave desert and it is a very dry heat. We have been following the weather forecast for Charlotte and would like to get some insight.

How "bad" is the humidity? I understand this is relative but how many months/days out of the year is the humidity unbearable? My wife and I really enjoy being outdoors and that is difficult where we live now; we just don't want to move to a new area that isn't as hot but more humid and we still won't be able to enjoy the outdoors.

The forecast seems to show either isolated or scattered thunderstorms a lot. What is this like? Is it an all day thing or just a few sprinkles in the afternoon that lasts for an hour or so??? Are the thunderstorms enjoyable and help cool things off or are they annoying because they mess up your outdoor plans?

Can anyone recommend a nice area to live where we could get a house on some wooded property? Not too many trees in the desert and would LOVE to live in a wooded area. I am an engineer so the area would need to be within 45 minutes or so from an area where I can get a job.

Thanks for help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,657,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novacrasher View Post
My wife and I are thinking about relocating from California to either the Charlotte area or western North Carolina. We don't live in the stereotypical California climate. In fact the forecast shows it is supposed to get up to 116 degrees this week! We live near the Mojave desert and it is a very dry heat. We have been following the weather forecast for Charlotte and would like to get some insight.

How "bad" is the humidity? I understand this is relative but how many months/days out of the year is the humidity unbearable? My wife and I really enjoy being outdoors and that is difficult where we live now; we just don't want to move to a new area that isn't as hot but more humid and we still won't be able to enjoy the outdoors.

The forecast seems to show either isolated or scattered thunderstorms a lot. What is this like? Is it an all day thing or just a few sprinkles in the afternoon that lasts for an hour or so??? Are the thunderstorms enjoyable and help cool things off or are they annoying because they mess up your outdoor plans?

Can anyone recommend a nice area to live where we could get a house on some wooded property? Not too many trees in the desert and would LOVE to live in a wooded area. I am an engineer so the area would need to be within 45 minutes or so from an area where I can get a job.

Thanks for help!
For the summer July and August can be especially brutal due to the humidity. Keep an eye on the dew point for a better real feel. You can compare to say Southern Cal where you don't live but I'm sure you're familiar with:

National Dewpoint Contour - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Once it gets around 70 then it's pretty much tropical. You can't cool down because your sweat cannot evaporate. I would think though that this isn't any more punishing than temps in tipple digits.

Summer storms typically are 20 to 30 minutes long and can be powerful but usually moderate thunder and lightning and heave rain. Helps cool the late afternoon down.

Youth outdoor sports thrive here even with the humidity because the storms are short. So if 10 year olds can be in a baseball tournament without wanting to quit then adults should be OK.

If you are on twitter you can sub to @wxbrad and @WSOCWeather.

Brad is especially active and often retweets photos sent in by viewers in near real time during a storm like Wednesday evening. You can also see his predictions here: http://t.co/wTJFaJZ1FB

Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM

162 posts, read 351,320 times
Pretty much what GCharlotte said- it's mostly the dewpoint. It can be 72 but feel very sticky, or 85 but feel really pleasant.

May through September you pretty much have a chance of a thunderstorm every day. It can be isolated enough that it could be raining at your house but drive 2 miles down the road and the sun is out.

I met someone last July who moved from San Francisco in June, and couldn't be outside for longer than 10 minutes. She just couldn't handle how humid it was. I don't think you'd be able to enjoy being outdoors June-Aug during the heat of the day unless you were at a pool. It pretty much is what you don't want to trade- it very, very rarely ever gets to 100 degrees...maybe a few days a year, but it is always humid in the summer.

I actually don't mind a little humidty. I get cold very easliy and don't enjoy being cold, so to me a little humidity, as long as it's not 95 degrees at 1pm in June, actually feels very comfortable to me. My wife can't stand the heat or humidity and isn't comfortable until late September.

I find the thunderstorms both enjoyable and annoying. They always seem to arrive at 5pm and into the evening just when I want to grab a beer and head out on the patio to BBQ!

As for the wooded property, you'd have to live outside the city- Union County, York or Lancaster county in SC.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:44 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,479,189 times
Right now we're in the classic seasonal pattern. The Bermuda high steers moist air from the gulf of Mexico and southeastern Atlantic northward. This condenses against the mountains, which form thunderclouds that roll off them and arrive in Charlotte around 5 PM.

I don't think the humidity is bad if you just want to step outsde and relax in the shade. But it's not pleasant to work outside in the summer. And has been mentioned, the breeze-less dewy mornings and evenings, may not feel all that "cool" when the air is very humid.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 AM

I spent a few months in Seattle and felt so spoiled. Close your eyes on a nice day and outside feels like room temp. When I returned to Charlotte the humidity hit me in the tunnel leading to the terminal. Didn't even have to be outside to know I was back.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 AM

162 posts, read 351,320 times
I was up in Minneapolis in August a few years ago. The warmest it reached I think was 75. On the plane ride back, you could actually see the layer of heat, ozone, and humidity. The tops of the clouds were pure white, and the bottom halves were brown. I departed at 65 degrees and landed at 96. When the plane door opened it felt like someone put a blanket on my face.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,801,179 times
This is a tough question to answer because both climates (the desert and tropical) have good and bad points. I happen to have lived in both and still struggle with which one I prefer. I currently live in the Sonoran desert (Phoenix) and love the winters and LACK of humidity in the summer. However, the trade offs are no four seasons and very high temps in the summer. Oh yeah, it's also pretty dry as you already know. In a more tropical environment the humidity can be so stifling at times it feels like you are trying to breath through a wet blanket! Other times it can actually feel quite pleasant depending on the dew point. Having four distinct seasons, to me, would be one small advantage if you're used to that. You asked about Thunder storms, they can cool things down and usually do but I remember times when it felt more humid following the storm!
Living in the desert I understand why weather would be a major concern, but I also would weigh other factors like the local economy, COL, culture, etc. I have rambled enough. Go visit during the summer if you can and see for yourself. That's always the best way to learn. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,752,572 times
As I type this, it is very oppressive feeling outside. Very hot, humid & tropical moist air. And I just heard a clap of thunder so here comes the thunderstorm.

There are lot's and lot's of trees in Charlotte so finding a lot with a little wooded area shouldn't be a problem in the city, especially the older more established neighborhoods. Many of the newer developers outside the city raked the land of trees and started from scratch.....sad.

You may be able to withstand the heat/humidity and the worst of it is June-August. Our Spring and Falls are incredible most of the time. Having 4 seasons is a plus for many people, including myself.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
As I type this, it is very oppressive feeling outside. Very hot, humid & tropical moist air. And I just heard a clap of thunder so here comes the thunderstorm.

There are lot's and lot's of trees in Charlotte so finding a lot with a little wooded area shouldn't be a problem in the city, especially the older more established neighborhoods. Many of the newer developers outside the city raked the land of trees and started from scratch.....sad.

You may be able to withstand the heat/humidity and the worst of it is June-August. Our Spring and Falls are incredible most of the time. Having 4 seasons is a plus for many people, including myself.
What is this "outside" you speak of? Is that the giant zone of non airconditioning I've heard of?

I have an interesting lot. It's only 1/3 ac but for some reason they left a nice swatch of old growth trees in my backyard. It looks like a forest but is only 20 or so feet deep. It's very attractive during the warm months and helps with privacy.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM

74 posts, read 94,558 times
The difference is a dry heat (100 degrees and zero humidity. Its 99 degrees at 5pm and 24% humidity in NorCal. Im from the midwest and summer humidity changed every day. In Cali, there is none, but its really hot to a point, id rather hang out inside. The sun is really intense also in NorCal. Im guessing Charlotte is not as bad, but you have more humidity, less high temps. Im sure the falls-spring are awesome and you get 2 months of July/Aug is really humid weather. In NorCal, we get rain everyday (typically) Jan/Feb or Dec/Jan. All depends. Pick your crappy months in any region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or