U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,040,314 times
Reputation: 22371

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I think urban is wondering if Trump has inside info on the future of Charlotte now that Foxx is transportation secretary.
Well, of course Trump has inside info! I am sure Trump and Foxx are big buds. And everyone knows how Foxx's appointment to this position is going to affect the entire future of whole continents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 AM
 
6,270 posts, read 9,999,475 times
Reputation: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
URBAN - thanks for putting the pieces together so I understood what you are referring to - very interesting.

However, I think you are taking it way too far with tying Foxx into all this. I am not seeing how federal dollars are involved with Trump's or Levine's projects,
Trump and Levine are both looking at the North Tryon Corridor for development. This is the same corridor that got over $500 million from the feds for light rail.


Light Rail Funding Ceremony, 10/16/2012 - Video #2 - YouTube

Transportation secretary Foxx has essentially "sealed the deal" for this rail line to be built better than the McCrory-line to the south. What we have here are two different developers who are interested in the same (now funded) light rail corridor of Charlotte. Levine got on board first, then came Trump on the same day that Foxx was confirmed. Think about that one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, of course Trump has inside info! I am sure Trump and Foxx are big buds. And everyone knows how Foxx's appointment to this position is going to affect the entire future of whole continents.
Foxx out-foxed most liberals and conservatives with his plans and career moves. Don't hate the playa; hate the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,350,595 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, of course Trump has inside info! I am sure Trump and Foxx are big buds. And everyone knows how Foxx's appointment to this position is going to affect the entire future of whole continents.
You sound mad...

if Trump thinks Foxx will look out for Charlotte he and other investors will pounce regardless of friendships, party affiliation, etc...

I know high speed rail from DC to Charlotte is in the future... it wouldn't be a crazy idea to think Foxx may speed up the timeline a few years since he is all about rail.

I know the Foxx appointment chaps your hiney but don't let the hate skew your thinking. It's great for the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,350,595 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Trump and Levine are both looking at the North Tryon Corridor for development. This is the same corridor that got over $500 million from the feds for light rail.


Light Rail Funding Ceremony, 10/16/2012 - Video #2 - YouTube

Transportation secretary Foxx has essentially "sealed the deal" for this rail line to be built better than the McCrory-line to the south. What we have here are two different developers who are interested in the same (now funded) light rail corridor of Charlotte. Levine got on board first, then came Trump on the same day that Foxx was confirmed. Think about that one...
Foxx out-foxed most liberals and conservatives with his plans and career moves. Don't hate the playa; hate the game.


they hate the playa...

oh how they hate the playa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,040,314 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You sound mad...

if Trump thinks Foxx will look out for Charlotte he and other investors will pounce regardless of friendships, party affiliation, etc...

I know high speed rail from DC to Charlotte is in the future... it wouldn't be a crazy idea to think Foxx may speed up the timeline a few years since he is all about rail.

I know the Foxx appointment chaps your hiney but don't let the hate skew your thinking. It's great for the region.
The Foxx appointment doesn't chap my hiney at all! I just don't see him as solving every economic issue in this city . . . and the topic of this thread had NADA to do with FOXX, yet . . . who are we talking about? Foxx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,040,314 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post


they hate the playa...

oh how they hate the playa
Well . . . if the game is . . . cheerleading for Foxx by inserting him into threads that had not a thing to do with the OP's post . . . then I am not hating on the player, I am scratching my head about the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,350,595 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The Foxx appointment doesn't chap my hiney at all! I just don't see him as solving every economic issue in this city . . . and the topic of this thread had NADA to do with FOXX, yet . . . who are we talking about? Foxx.
Urban brought up a few points that could link Trump's interest to Foxx.

I don't think anyone said Foxx would solve every economic issue but his appointment could be one of the reason's Trump is thinking of investing in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,350,595 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well . . . if the game is . . . cheerleading for Foxx by inserting him into threads that had not a thing to do with the OP's post . . . then I am not hating on the player, I am scratching my head about the game.
I see you point but I don't think most are cheerleading for Foxx... most are cheerleading for Charlotte's future.

we could always go back to making fun of Trumps hair but that's played out IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM
 
6,270 posts, read 9,999,475 times
Reputation: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well . . . if the game is . . . cheerleading for Foxx by inserting him into threads that had not a thing to do with the OP's post . . . then I am not hating on the player, I am scratching my head about the game.
OK, let's forget about the fact that Trump showed up in Charlotte on Foxx's confirmation day with interest in the north light rail corridor. Let's just assume that there is no connection at all. With that said, what are your thoughts on this? Why do you think Trump is here talking about the possibility of a skyscraper on North Tryon Street?

Development almost always follows a massive infrastructure improvement. So, what massive infrastructure improvement is coming to the North Tryon corridor (one that is so big it caught Trump's attention)?

The only other thing I can think of is Norfolk Southern's new yard that is being built by the airport. Here is the current yard on North Tryon Street.

http://leecpham.com/wp-content/uploa...8904519145.jpg

^^^This massive 40 acre site north of uptown will become open for redevelopment as soon as Norfolk Southern moves to the new facility.

Quote:
Norfolk Southern is paying $76.3 million of the estimated $92 million in construction costs; a federal grant is picking up the rest. North Carolina and the city of Charlotte have funded $9.7 million worth of road improvements tied to the project, including a new interchange at Interstate 485 and West Boulevard to allow trucks easy access to the facility. The railroad will also pay the airport $1 million in rent every year. The city of Charlotte can’t take that money due to federal rules about diverting revenue from the airport, but it still benefits by gaining the ability to redevelop Norfolk Southern’s current 40-acre intermodal yard north of uptown. The project could provide billions in economic benefits for the region, but estimates vary widely.

Charlotte looks to airport rail yard as engine for growth | CharlotteObserver.com

^^^But even with this angle of the story, we're still forced to ignore the fact that federal dollars are being used. We'd also need to overlook the fact that the Transportation Secretary is involved as well. No matter how hard we might try, it's almost impossible to ignore the federal connection to the redevelopment efforts of the North Tryon Corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,040,314 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I see you point but I don't think most are cheerleading for Foxx... most are cheerleading for Charlotte's future.

we could always go back to making fun of Trumps hair but that's played out IMO.
Oh, I don't know, I thought it was interesting that URBAN didn't realize Trump's hair was a comb-over and thought it was a toupee.

As far as Foxx having much influence over Charlotte's future . . . that is exactly what puzzles me. Transportation issues are important to this region, but they are not the only important issue, and they are not all under federal government control . . . Raleigh has a finger in the pie, too.

But back to the OP's topic . . . I will believe it when I see it when it comes to Trump sinking money into Charlotte. I hope he does! But if we had all held our breath every time Trump had shown some interest in the region, we would have all expired long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top