Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it on Tract to be completed
Yes 4 33.33%
No 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:41 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times

Advertisements

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/c...emPlan0711.pdf

Hey guys i just wanted to ask if anyone with more information knew anything about this. I was looking for a map on what the blue-line would look when its finished but this came up. If this is true is it on tract to be completed by the projected year, or has it been pushed back. Also i just wanted to ask does the new formula that came out will affect this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
I believe the date for the blue line is now 2017

Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
The south line slipped by two years over the planning stage to completion (2005 to 2007) and it came close to slipping into 2008. A Congressional review was ordered in 2007 because of the delays and cost overruns.

I feel like the north end of the blue line has slipped by more than that.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 AM

109 posts, read 200,106 times
I can't vote in your poll because neither of your two choices (in my mind) are true. I think it will be built out, but modified, and later than 2030.

As for the current plan - BLE is happening, and I do suspect we will see the streetcar and Commuter Rail North completed within the next 5-10 years. Beyond that I think the Independence line may be built if it is a BRT vs LRT (I know they just changed the recommendations again to favor LRT though). The one I have no clue on is the West line going towards the airport.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
I can't vote in your poll because neither of your two choices (in my mind) are true. I think it will be built out, but modified, and later than 2030.

As for the current plan - BLE is happening, and I do suspect we will see the streetcar and Commuter Rail North completed within the next 5-10 years. Beyond that I think the Independence line may be built if it is a BRT vs LRT (I know they just changed the recommendations again to favor LRT though). The one I have no clue on is the West line going towards the airport.
I agree with everything you said, that's why I also couldn't cast a vote either!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 PM

162 posts, read 217,086 times
I predict by the time they have it done a few things will have happened:

1. They no longer have enough people in the city [lack of infrastructure improvement has prevented growth]
2. It won't meet the needs of the citizens [too many too little network support]
3. It won't fix social issues that public transport is designed to handle well [traffic and drunk driving]
4. The lines won't be extended to where they were originally planned to be.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:50 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
I predict by the time they have it done a few things will have happened:

1. They no longer have enough people in the city [lack of infrastructure improvement has prevented growth]
2. It won't meet the needs of the citizens [too many too little network support]
3. It won't fix social issues that public transport is designed to handle well [traffic and drunk driving]
4. The lines won't be extended to where they were originally planned to be.
Well, the blue line through south end has exceeded ridership "prediction" and buoyed urbanization along the line. Although gas prices have leveled off a bit the past few years, I'd imagine a new spike on the horizon will serve as incentive for more and bold public transit options.

One thing I like about Charlotte, it receives a lot of negativity about what it can't do or isn't capable of doing....yet does it anyway, usually successfully to the chagrin of the haters...lol. If downtown/uptown and inner ring neighborhoods were losing population you might have a point, but the opposite is actually occurring....where do you come up with such fiction?

Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post

I think most of it will be implemented and authorities vastly underestimate ridership demand on the red line given I-77 woes. They will have to expand daily train service to accommodate for the unexpected demand.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 AM

106 posts, read 193,882 times
Ridership is low on the Red Line because CATS does not plan to operate it on the weekends, after 7pm, nor much during weekdays outside of commuting hours. This means it can't be used for casual trips like going to ball games, special events, or a night on the town.

It's not going to have any impact on I-77.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 AM

189 posts, read 333,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
Ridership is low on the Red Line because CATS does not plan to operate it on the weekends, after 7pm, nor much during weekdays outside of commuting hours. This means it can't be used for casual trips like going to ball games, special events, or a night on the town.

It's not going to have any impact on I-77.
I agree. Much to the same degree of the 77X bus. I live Uptown and have a friend who lives in MacAuley in Huntersville. There's a 77X stop that'd take him Uptown right outside his development but he has to drive to see us vs. taking transit due to the hours it keeps. I get ridership would be low on weekends but maybe run a morning (10-11AM), afternoon (3-4), early evening (7-8PM), and twilight (10-11PM) schedule. That'd allow for people to get Uptown for afternoon and evening ball games or other special events. It wouldn't cure all our traffic ills but for us who want to use transit it'd be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte