U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 AM

279 posts, read 361,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm not a fan of the Regional Airport Authority....

I listened to 1110AM on the way home last night and they were talking about the RAA. I was surprised to hear most conservative listeners call in and oppose the move? CLT is the most efficient and cost effective airport in the nation given it's size. The GA screams of smaller government but now they want to fix a system that isn't broken? It's politics gone wrong IMO.

Like someone asked... "Where was the push when Pat was Mayor?"

Why now?
A fair question. I also think that neither side is giving their real reason for their opposition or support of the measure.

My theory is it's happening now because US Airways is behind it. You are correct they like CLT's low cost and independence from politics. Unfortunately Chief Rodney Monroe last year made a move where the city council dissolved the independent airport police force and Airport security was placed under Monroe's control. Pure power play by Monroe. This alarmed US Airways and others who became concerned about petty city politics affecting airport operations. Airport bill pushed into the GA to fix it.

My second point:
  • Opponents say, why mess with it, it's low cost. Meaning - they resent having an end run done around their authority whether it makes sense or not.
  • Supporters say the airport should have a regional focus. Meaning - they don't like the very leftist Charlotte city council affecting major operations at the airport. (I'm not saying they are leftist but this is what I think they think)

Neither camp seems to be that interested in what is good for the people of this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 PM

11,808 posts, read 9,401,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
You did not say people SOUND JEALOUS. You said that People ARE jealous. Either way I don't agree. I didn't make up anything. Either way Charlotte is on the right track and there is nothing wrong with looking at other cities to improve.
you know.. you could simply quote what I said if you wanted to be accurate.

Quote:
I guess you could say CD is on the wrong track... . It's a city data board so it makes sense for people to compare cities so it's not that big of a deal.

There is definitely a hint of jealousy when cutting down other cities to make Charlotte feel taller than it is at the moment. Charlotte has a lot going for it but it sure seems like some people have a hard time giving other cities credit.
if you want to be specific I said there is a HINT of jealousy on the boards by some people when speaking of other cities.

...and I agree, nothing wrong with looking at other cities for improvement.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:44 PM

109 posts, read 170,427 times
I got to chime in here as the context btw of Feltdesigner's comments (and there is nothing wrong with his comments in my mind anyway) was in response to something I posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
I'll tell you where Charlotte is on the wrong track - all these discussions that focus on other cities strengths or weaknesses in a thread about Charlotte.

While there is nothing wrong in learning from other cities - there does seem to be a preoccupation with them here. Innate Jealousy or feelings of inadequacy? I'm not completely certain - but it does seem to be a thread in many discussions on this board.
The fact that a few of you are getting so riled up about it and playing semantics with every word sort of highlights the wonder of is a lot of this "comparisons" of other cities really just defensiveness and feelings that in order for Charlotte to be great - we have to bad mouth other cities.

Austin, New Orleans, Denver and any other mention in this thread are great cities. Just as Charlotte is a great city as well. But you know how great cities grow even better - they look and learn from other cities.

Not everything they do will fit Charlotte, and Charlotte solutions/ideas may not fit them - but that doesn't mean one is a lesser city as a result.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,363,819 times
Denver is in the same tier as Charlotte. The reason Denver tends to be mirrored in a higher tier is because it's isolated while Charlotte has other cities in the vicinity cannibalize future growth. Both are 4th tier cities.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM

173 posts, read 245,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Denver is in the same tier as Charlotte. The reason Denver tends to be mirrored in a higher tier is because it's isolated while Charlotte has other cities in the vicinity cannibalize future growth. Both are 4th tier cities.
Exactly.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 PM

29,957 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I tend to put Denver in a half-tier above Charlotte, or if in the same tier, Denver occupying a higher slot within it.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 AM

173 posts, read 245,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I tend to put Denver in a half-tier above Charlotte, or if in the same tier, Denver occupying a higher slot within it.
I can agree with this. Charlotte is around two spots away from becoming a Beta- city, which is what Denver is ranked and that is mainly due to Denver's infrastructure.

This article is interesting. http://yudoanggoro.com/2012/05/16/ch...-city-network/

Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM

11,808 posts, read 9,401,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
Thanks for the info urbancharlotte. I appreciate the comparison numbers with Austin.

I agree with a lot of your points - particularly: "Nothing against Austin and Nashville, but I honestly think that Charlotte should look up to larger metros with multiple attractions; not smaller ones that rely on 1 single gimmick."

I think that is what Charlotte is trying to do more of and thus on the right track. Charlotte to me feels like a small size big city that still has plenty to grow into (both actual buildings/infrastructure growth and maturity/mentality as a major city growth).

I do think we are going in the right direction, and I do think we're entering the national conscious more and more, but I just personally don't feel we're there or even close enough yet. That said - I think that's ok, because we are going in the right direction!
well, Austin's gimmick got the XGames over much larger cities. While the DNC was great it was still a suit and tie event. I want Charlotte to use a gimmick or 2 to get some of these young and hip events in the future.

I still think we are on the right track since we made it to the last round of the Xgames but a think a vibrant entertainment district would be a plus.

I know some like NoDa and I'm planning on making a visit this evening for dinner but most cities have a NoDa that is much larger. Hopefully the rail extension helps this area grow into more than what it is right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or