U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
239 posts, read 311,677 times
Reputation: 189

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm sorry man, but this is quite laughable. I can't really speak for Austin, but no one who's been to both Charlotte and NOLA would even fix their mouth to say that Charlotte caters more to tourists, or has more areas of interest to tourists, than NOLA. This can't even be a real discussion.

And although I'm not very familiar with Austin, are you serious in saying it doesn't have special events? Ever heard of SXSW, Austin City Limits, Austin Film Festival, heck even UT football games (which average over 90K in attendance)??????

Calm down slugger. NOLA is DEFINITLEY more of a tourist city. and I NEVER said that Charlotte caters MORE towards tourists than NOLA. But Charlotte DOES have more places of interest (NOT EVENTS), but PLACES OF INTEREST than NOLA.
NOLA "excitement" if you will, is CONFINED to a FEW streets in DOWNTOWN.

In Charlotte, the excitement is centered in downtown, but its also in SouthPark, NoDa, theme parks, and centers where visitors can go and have fun while in town. NOLA may have the GALLERIA, but that still is not a big tourist attraction when visitors are there.

Austin DEFINITELY has great events...i ALSO NEVER SAID THEY DIDNT> but as far as the PULL to have visitors (people not too frequent to the city), they just dont have that too often. And sorry to burst your bubble, but the ones you have listed are more LOCAL events, believe it or not. No one is flying into Austin or spending big money for hotels and special weekend is Austin for those events.
Im from HOUSTON (2 1/2 hrs from Austin), and Ive NEVER heard of anyone in Houston traveling to Austin for ANYTHING, similar to how people travel from Georgia, Florida, SC, VA, and DC for things like CIAA in Charlotte, except for if UT plays Univ of Houston, OR when the Texas High School Football Championship is there, then you might actually get TRUE VISITORS.

FYI: NASCAR and CIAA together kill ANY non-football events Austin has, from an both and entertainment AND visitor-traffic standpoint.

ALSO. I dont know if I agree about the "young and hip" comments in Austin. A big COUNTRY-looking town like Austin doesnt generally foster a "HIP" vibe. lol.
Also, Uptown Charlotte is VERY young and hip.
NoDa is very young and hip.
Parts of University City (boardwalk or certain nights) are young and hip.
South Park is a very young, hip area.


Here is my question...as far as other parts of Austin...what other parts of the city (other than Downtown) compare to Areas like SouthPark, NoDa, University, etc in Charlotte???? Can anyone answer that for me? No being smart, I'd really like to know, because maybe I missed something while I was there for a while
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM
 
109 posts, read 170,486 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Calm down slugger. NOLA is DEFINITLEY more of a tourist city. and I NEVER said that Charlotte caters MORE towards tourists than NOLA. But Charlotte DOES have more places of interest (NOT EVENTS), but PLACES OF INTEREST than NOLA.
NOLA "excitement" if you will, is CONFINED to a FEW streets in DOWNTOWN.

In Charlotte, the excitement is centered in downtown, but its also in SouthPark, NoDa, theme parks, and centers where visitors can go and have fun while in town. NOLA may have the GALLERIA, but that still is not a big tourist attraction when visitors are there.

Austin DEFINITELY has great events...i ALSO NEVER SAID THEY DIDNT> but as far as the PULL to have visitors (people not too frequent to the city), they just dont have that too often. And sorry to burst your bubble, but the ones you have listed are more LOCAL events, believe it or not. No one is flying into Austin or spending big money for hotels and special weekend is Austin for those events.
Im from HOUSTON (2 1/2 hrs from Austin), and Ive NEVER heard of anyone in Houston traveling to Austin for ANYTHING, similar to how people travel from Georgia, Florida, SC, VA, and DC for things like CIAA in Charlotte, except for if UT plays Univ of Houston, OR when the Texas High School Football Championship is there, then you might actually get TRUE VISITORS.

FYI: NASCAR and CIAA together kill ANY non-football events Austin has, from an both and entertainment AND visitor-traffic standpoint.

ALSO. I dont know if I agree about the "young and hip" comments in Austin. A big COUNTRY-looking town like Austin doesnt generally foster a "HIP" vibe. lol.
Also, Uptown Charlotte is VERY young and hip.
NoDa is very young and hip.
Parts of University City (boardwalk or certain nights) are young and hip.
South Park is a very young, hip area.


Here is my question...as far as other parts of Austin...what other parts of the city (other than Downtown) compare to Areas like SouthPark, NoDa, University, etc in Charlotte???? Can anyone answer that for me? No being smart, I'd really like to know, because maybe I missed something while I was there for a while
You're kidding with a lot of your comments?

First - you don't know New Orleans at all if you think it's just Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. I would guess their Garden District gets more tourists than our Southend by a mile. I was part of a international bank conference (The Interamerican Development Bank meetings - a huge international finance conference (with European and Asian finance ministers and banks in spite of the name) and which Charlotte doesn't even yet make a listing of potential future host city yet on that note) and I can assure you that people didn't just visit of feel "CONFINED to a FEW streets in DOWNTOWN." for things to do or excitement.

Also - Austin is in fact the "hip" city right now. It is known as young, trendy and hip. To compare even our NoDa to any part of Austin is laughable.

Understand - I LOVE Charlotte and this is my home - but I don't have to defend it, and make outrageous claims about it as being better than other cities to enjoy it. And I certainly don't need to mock other cities or suggest they are limited in the same breath either. That's not pride in a city - that's fear that your point of view needs puffing up.

Charlotte is a city on the rise with a younger population base than a lot of other cities. It also has a lot going for it from cultural, entertainment, and lifestyle options - but let's not kid ourselves and place us above cities like Austin and New Orleans (yet). That time may come - but it isn't present at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,810 posts, read 9,405,848 times
Reputation: 5278
Austin isnt young and hip? NoDa is being thrown out like its larger than a half block... sheez. Talk about delusional. Southpark is young and hip?

Just say you prefer Charlotte but please stop making things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
239 posts, read 311,677 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
You're kidding with a lot of your comments?

First - you don't know New Orleans at all if you think it's just Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. I would guess their Garden District gets more tourists than our Southend by a mile. I was part of a international bank conference (The Interamerican Development Bank meetings - a huge international finance conference (with European and Asian finance ministers and banks in spite of the name) and which Charlotte doesn't even yet make a listing of potential future host city yet on that note) and I can assure you that people didn't just visit of feel "CONFINED to a FEW streets in DOWNTOWN." for things to do or excitement.

Also - Austin is in fact the "hip" city right now. It is known as young, trendy and hip. To compare even our NoDa to any part of Austin is laughable.

Understand - I LOVE Charlotte and this is my home - but I don't have to defend it, and make outrageous claims about it as being better than other cities to enjoy it. And I certainly don't need to mock other cities or suggest they are limited in the same breath either. That's not pride in a city - that's fear that your point of view needs puffing up.

Charlotte is a city on the rise with a younger population base than a lot of other cities. It also has a lot going for it from cultural, entertainment, and lifestyle options - but let's not kid ourselves and place us above cities like Austin and New Orleans (yet). That time may come - but it isn't present at the moment.


Understand this..., im FROM texas. Used to live in Louisiana. im 26, and have ONLY spent 6 months of my life in Charlotte..so NO , I definitely DONT prefer Charlotte above any and every other city. But having lived in/around these places, I can speak from experience. I lived right outside of NOLA....and OUTSIDE of downtown, NO, NOLA is not that exciting. Now u have a LIFETIME OF EXCITEMENT in the downtown area, for sure, but outside of that, NO.
PS< I really dont care about that conference, or the fact that CLT is not in the running. So isnt the other 900,000 cities in America.

Now, in relation to the HIP scene, I think of a place where people young people live and party all in one area, which would include places like SouthPark and NoDa..full of the 18 -35 crowd, party/bar scene, and also residents.
Now, do you REALLy mean AUSTIN is a hip city as a WHOLE, or are you referring to DOWNTOWN AUSTIN being a hip,young, cultural area??? because thats a difference.
ONCE AGAIN, outside of Downtown Austin, I just dont see what is so appealing about Austin. And that question has gone unanswered many times now, for some reason.

Last edited by jhartwell35; 07-09-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,063,020 times
Reputation: 4482
Austin and Charlotte are on completely separate paths so it's really hard to compare them. If I was going to pick a city to put down roots in out of those two, I would pick Charlotte hands down. Austin is popular right now because of the popularity of the hipster fad and because it's at the top of almost every 'Best Places' list. I agree with jhartwell though, Austin outside of downtown isn't impressive at all. If people think Charlotte traffic is getting bad, it's nothing like Austin. Austin was never intended to become what it has and its infrastructure is laughable for a city of 2 million. If I was going to live in Texas, it would be Houston or Dallas over Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 01:18 AM
 
29,961 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Reputation: 18552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Calm down slugger. NOLA is DEFINITLEY more of a tourist city. and I NEVER said that Charlotte caters MORE towards tourists than NOLA. But Charlotte DOES have more places of interest (NOT EVENTS), but PLACES OF INTEREST than NOLA.
NOLA "excitement" if you will, is CONFINED to a FEW streets in DOWNTOWN.

In Charlotte, the excitement is centered in downtown, but its also in SouthPark, NoDa, theme parks, and centers where visitors can go and have fun while in town. NOLA may have the GALLERIA, but that still is not a big tourist attraction when visitors are there.
Did you really just put SouthPark and "excitement" in the same sentence? It's a retail/office district and nowhere close to being this wild nightlife destination as you're making it out to be. NoDa is nice enough, but it's much more of a local district and I'm more than certain any of the other NOLA neighborhoods I mentioned are much, much more popular.

I can't believe you're saying Charlotte has more "places of interest" than NOLA and you're using SouthPark and the airport as examples. Never mind the fact that NOLA has a zoo, an aquarium, an amusement park, and tons of parks and historic sites. Sorry man, but anyone even remotely familiar with both cities wouldn't be able to take you seriously.

Quote:
Austin DEFINITELY has great events...i ALSO NEVER SAID THEY DIDNT> but as far as the PULL to have visitors (people not too frequent to the city), they just dont have that too often. And sorry to burst your bubble, but the ones you have listed are more LOCAL events, believe it or not. No one is flying into Austin or spending big money for hotels and special weekend is Austin for those events.
Im from HOUSTON (2 1/2 hrs from Austin), and Ive NEVER heard of anyone in Houston traveling to Austin for ANYTHING, similar to how people travel from Georgia, Florida, SC, VA, and DC for things like CIAA in Charlotte, except for if UT plays Univ of Houston, OR when the Texas High School Football Championship is there, then you might actually get TRUE VISITORS.
SXSW is the “single most profitable event for the City of Austin’s hospitality industry,” the study found. This year, it was responsible for more than 11,000 reservations accounting for 50,000-plus total room nights at Austin-area hotels, up 13 percent over 2011, according to the report.
The annual event also generates significant worldwide media exposure for Austin, Greyhill Advisors found, with more than 392 million broadcast, print and online impressions in 2012 alone.


Report: SXSW


Event producers, C3 Presents, estimate that 53 percent of the sold-out [Austin City Limits] festival’s 70,000 daily attendees come from outside of Austin. Most Downtown Austin hotels are completely booked, and many area resorts are also benefiting from an influx of visitors.

ACL Festival drops millions into Austin | KXAN.com
Quote:
FYI: NASCAR and CIAA together kill ANY non-football events Austin has, from an both and entertainment AND visitor-traffic standpoint.
So from an entertainment standpoint, NASCAR and CIAA trump SXSW and Austin City Limits. Wow.

Quote:
ALSO. I dont know if I agree about the "young and hip" comments in Austin. A big COUNTRY-looking town like Austin doesnt generally foster a "HIP" vibe. lol.
Also, Uptown Charlotte is VERY young and hip.
NoDa is very young and hip.
Parts of University City (boardwalk or certain nights) are young and hip.
South Park is a very young, hip area.
This is so off until it's really not even worth responding to.

As others have stated, I love Charlotte to death and it has its strong points for sure, but you're just making stuff up here. Charlotte is what it is at this point in time; this sort of stuff is what Charlotte-bashers use as material when they say that people overhype the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 AM
 
109 posts, read 170,486 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
PS< I really dont care about that conference, or the fact that CLT is not in the running. So isnt the other 900,000 cities in America.
Besides hyperbole and a lie that there are 900,000 cities in America that don't want international multi-million dollar conferences you also missed the point of why I brought it up.

Places like Austin and New Orleans regularly land such (SXSW anyone...) conferences because of their prominence as international destinations and/or cool factor. Charlotte's starting to score in the last few years -but nowhere on the same level because we don't have that level of offerings that they do.

You seem to have a bone to pick about those cities that is not based in reality. As no one on this thread seems to agree with your logic maybe you can stay on topic as to what Charlotte has going or not going for it and leave the other cities out of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
239 posts, read 311,677 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
Besides hyperbole and a lie that there are 900,000 cities in America that don't want international multi-million dollar conferences you also missed the point of why I brought it up.

Places like Austin and New Orleans regularly land such (SXSW anyone...) conferences because of their prominence as international destinations and/or cool factor. Charlotte's starting to score in the last few years -but nowhere on the same level because we don't have that level of offerings that they do.

You seem to have a bone to pick about those cities that is not based in reality. As no one on this thread seems to agree with your logic maybe you can stay on topic as to what Charlotte has going or not going for it and leave the other cities out of it?

First of all, Maybe as a citizen of Charlotte, YOU dont find SouthPark exciting, but when I came here to visit, I found SouthPark to be extremely entertaining and still do. You might wanna check out EVERYthing that is there and in the surrounding areas. You might be surprised.. Its easily to get bored with things when you live in the city and are used to them, ILL ADMIT. But please remember that they are still places that people like to go for entertainment.

I was NOT the one who brought other cities up in this thread. And the point that I was trying to make is, not every city wants EVERY money making event. Not every city wants the DNC, the RNC, the X-games, Olympics, etc... Just because they are popular and make ALOT of money doesnt mean that a city feels like they need it.
Houston is the 3rd largest city in the world, and theres a BUNCH or LARGE-scale events that they DONT CARE TO HAVE in the city. SO as far as THAT particular conference, who cares who hosts it and who doesnt?
Now, if you told me that Charlotte went after that conference, and lost to NOLA, then OK, your point might make more sense.

And once again..and this is the LAST TIME I will say this...I am comparing MY experiences with having lived in both Texas AND Louisiana: I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THRONGS OF PEOPLE FLOCKING TO AUSTIN FOR EVENTS, IN THE SAME WAY PEOPLE FLOCK TO CHARLOTTE FOR EVENTS.

From my experiences and my 20-something years in Texas, mostly, People in Dallas come to Houston, and people in Houston come to Dallas for events. We DO NOT consider Austin a HOT BED of activity and source of entertainment for vacations and weekend outings. I am glad that some people DO, and thats great....never said they dont have visitors OR great events.. I KNOW THAT. But as a born-and-raised NATIVE of Texas, Austin was never really a place most people from other mid/large cities wanted to go for events.

NOLA on the other hand does have some nice parts, and some GREAT events, FAR greater than Charlotte x 1000!! But going back to an original point made by an earlier poster, Charlotte is a MUCH better looking city than BOTH, by-far!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
 
2,825 posts, read 4,938,029 times
Reputation: 2546
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
 
109 posts, read 170,486 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
First of all, Maybe as a citizen of Charlotte, YOU dont find SouthPark exciting, but when I came here to visit, I found SouthPark to be extremely entertaining and still do. You might wanna check out EVERYthing that is there and in the surrounding areas. You might be surprised.. Its easily to get bored with things when you live in the city and are used to them, ILL ADMIT. But please remember that they are still places that people like to go for entertainment.

I was NOT the one who brought other cities up in this thread. And the point that I was trying to make is, not every city wants EVERY money making event. Not every city wants the DNC, the RNC, the X-games, Olympics, etc... Just because they are popular and make ALOT of money doesnt mean that a city feels like they need it.
Houston is the 3rd largest city in the world, and theres a BUNCH or LARGE-scale events that they DONT CARE TO HAVE in the city. SO as far as THAT particular conference, who cares who hosts it and who doesnt?
Now, if you told me that Charlotte went after that conference, and lost to NOLA, then OK, your point might make more sense.

And once again..and this is the LAST TIME I will say this...I am comparing MY experiences with having lived in both Texas AND Louisiana: I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THRONGS OF PEOPLE FLOCKING TO AUSTIN FOR EVENTS, IN THE SAME WAY PEOPLE FLOCK TO CHARLOTTE FOR EVENTS.

From my experiences and my 20-something years in Texas, mostly, People in Dallas come to Houston, and people in Houston come to Dallas for events. We DO NOT consider Austin a HOT BED of activity and source of entertainment for vacations and weekend outings. I am glad that some people DO, and thats great....never said they dont have visitors OR great events.. I KNOW THAT. But as a born-and-raised NATIVE of Texas, Austin was never really a place most people from other mid/large cities wanted to go for events.

NOLA on the other hand does have some nice parts, and some GREAT events, FAR greater than Charlotte x 1000!! But going back to an original point made by an earlier poster, Charlotte is a MUCH better looking city than BOTH, by-far!!!
Thanks for the All CAPS in sections it makes you point better understood

Bottom line - I think Charlotte is great, and so do you. I think you're a bit melodramatic and reach for exaggerations whenever possible, but I think everyone already recognizes that and takes what you say with a huge grain of salt.

Oh well - Here's to Charlotte!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top