U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 AM

239 posts, read 311,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
Thanks for the All CAPS in sections it makes you point better understood

Bottom line - I think Charlotte is great, and so do you. I think you're a bit melodramatic and reach for exaggerations whenever possible, but I think everyone already recognizes that and takes what you say with a huge grain of salt.

Oh well - Here's to Charlotte!

The capitalizations are for importance of the info im writing, and not so much meant as a YELL. Its just the way I type.

And I am NOT the only person that feels that Charlotte is a FAR better looking city...especially to anyone who has spent some considerable time in Austin.
Downtown Austin and downtown NOLA are nice....but speaking of a city in its ENTIRETY, Charlotte is definitely a greener, cleaner, and more modern city than Austin and NOLA.

You can take it how you want...and truth be told, you dont have to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM

11,802 posts, read 9,394,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
First of all, Maybe as a citizen of Charlotte, YOU dont find SouthPark exciting, but when I came here to visit, I found SouthPark to be extremely entertaining and still do. You might wanna check out EVERYthing that is there and in the surrounding areas. You might be surprised.. Its easily to get bored with things when you live in the city and are used to them, ILL ADMIT. But please remember that they are still places that people like to go for entertainment.

I was NOT the one who brought other cities up in this thread. And the point that I was trying to make is, not every city wants EVERY money making event. Not every city wants the DNC, the RNC, the X-games, Olympics, etc... Just because they are popular and make ALOT of money doesnt mean that a city feels like they need it.
Houston is the 3rd largest city in the world, and theres a BUNCH or LARGE-scale events that they DONT CARE TO HAVE in the city. SO as far as THAT particular conference, who cares who hosts it and who doesnt?
Now, if you told me that Charlotte went after that conference, and lost to NOLA, then OK, your point might make more sense.

And once again..and this is the LAST TIME I will say this...I am comparing MY experiences with having lived in both Texas AND Louisiana: I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THRONGS OF PEOPLE FLOCKING TO AUSTIN FOR EVENTS, IN THE SAME WAY PEOPLE FLOCK TO CHARLOTTE FOR EVENTS.

From my experiences and my 20-something years in Texas, mostly, People in Dallas come to Houston, and people in Houston come to Dallas for events. We DO NOT consider Austin a HOT BED of activity and source of entertainment for vacations and weekend outings. I am glad that some people DO, and thats great....never said they dont have visitors OR great events.. I KNOW THAT. But as a born-and-raised NATIVE of Texas, Austin was never really a place most people from other mid/large cities wanted to go for events.

NOLA on the other hand does have some nice parts, and some GREAT events, FAR greater than Charlotte x 1000!! But going back to an original point made by an earlier poster, Charlotte is a MUCH better looking city than BOTH, by-far!!!
People just started going to Charlotte for events. DNC and CIAA... I think people are questioning your sanity because you are shrugging your shoulders at events that most people have heard of in Austin. SXSW, Film Festival, etc... yet you talk of Charlotte like it's a destination city.

Being a Texas vative may have something to do with it though... most people born and raised in a state have a ho-hum attitude when it comes to the smaller cities.

One other thing.. we were comparing Charlotte to Austin... not Austin to Houston or Dallas. Of course people aren't flocking to Austin from Houston or Dallas. People aren't flocking from ATL to Charlotte for entertainment as well.

Now..about Houston being the 3rd largest city in the world? I think you mean US.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 PM

13,105 posts, read 13,502,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyNyC View Post
I agree with CLTMark.
Has anyone been to Detroit? Or Pittsburgh? Or any of these middle America cities? There is no comparison. Charlotte even looks loke a dream! New and clean. If we could just put more money into the schools.....
What do you think Detroit and Pittsburgh looked like at one time? I swear it's like people learn nothing from the past.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM

109 posts, read 170,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What do you think Detroit and Pittsburgh looked like at one time? I swear it's like people learn nothing from the past.
What do you think Shanghai in 1962 looked like at one time? What about new York in in the 1970's?

You do realize the lessons of history are not that every incident repeats itself in every locale just because, right?

If you want to speak history - then speak the truth of the history.

Detroit and Pittsburgh were the sole international centers of their respective industry (auto and steel). They both experienced enormous and quick population swells that could not be maintained when they suffered from dramatic changes in labor practices that made their "centers" obsolete.

Charlotte as good as it's population growth has ever been - has never matched (nor come close) to the population swell of those two areas, nor is "the" international center (let alone national) of an industry. Finance isn't even the largest sector employer in the city.

Last edited by CLTMark; 07-10-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM

11,802 posts, read 9,394,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What is there to learn?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 PM

29,945 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Downtown Austin and downtown NOLA are nice....but speaking of a city in its ENTIRETY, Charlotte is definitely a greener, cleaner, and more modern city than Austin and NOLA.
I can see some justification as it pertains to this, but if this is what you meant from the beginning, it would have been easier to just say as much. All of those other wild exaggerations (Charlotte has more places of interest than NOLA, Austin doesn't have large-scale special events, NASCAR and CIAA provide more entertainment than SXSW and ACL, etc.) didn't help your case at all.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 PM

162 posts, read 180,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
People just started going to Charlotte for events. DNC and CIAA... I think people are questioning your sanity because you are shrugging your shoulders at events that most people have heard of in Austin. SXSW, Film Festival, etc... yet you talk of Charlotte like it's a destination city.

Being a Texas vative may have something to do with it though... most people born and raised in a state have a ho-hum attitude when it comes to the smaller cities.

One other thing.. we were comparing Charlotte to Austin... not Austin to Houston or Dallas. Of course people aren't flocking to Austin from Houston or Dallas. People aren't flocking from ATL to Charlotte for entertainment as well.

Now..about Houston being the 3rd largest city in the world? I think you mean US.
Slight correction, Huston is #4 in population size: List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its NYC, LA, CHI, IAH.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 AM

173 posts, read 245,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Did you really just put SouthPark and "excitement" in the same sentence? It's a retail/office district and nowhere close to being this wild nightlife destination as you're making it out to be. NoDa is nice enough, but it's much more of a local district and I'm more than certain any of the other NOLA neighborhoods I mentioned are much, much more popular.

I can't believe you're saying Charlotte has more "places of interest" than NOLA and you're using SouthPark and the airport as examples. Never mind the fact that NOLA has a zoo, an aquarium, an amusement park, and tons of parks and historic sites. Sorry man, but anyone even remotely familiar with both cities wouldn't be able to take you seriously.
sorry but nola doesnt have an amusement park anymore haha

Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,745,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can see some justification as it pertains to this, but if this is what you meant from the beginning, it would have been easier to just say as much. All of those other wild exaggerations (Charlotte has more places of interest than NOLA, Austin doesn't have large-scale special events, NASCAR and CIAA provide more entertainment than SXSW and ACL, etc.) didn't help your case at all.
I actually agree with him about Austin. Charlotte has more to do, better Large-scale events, better downtown...have you guys even been there? My grandparents live there.... Now as far as New Orleans that's a different story. However he has a point.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 AM

3,461 posts, read 3,154,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I actually agree with him about Austin. Charlotte has more to do, better Large-scale events, better downtown...have you guys even been there? My grandparents live there.... Now as far as New Orleans that's a different story. However he has a point.
I don't think Charlotte gets enough credit for it's level of diversity specifically related to the African American community. I got spoiled living in metro areas like DC (albeit expensive) that have a plethora of events, restaurants, etc that are tailored to the AA community. Charlotte does well in this category whereas metros like Austin wane, thus my preference for Houston and Dallas.

Austin is a very nice city but Charlotte is definitely a better fit for me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or