U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
239 posts, read 311,319 times
Reputation: 189

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can see some justification as it pertains to this, but if this is what you meant from the beginning, it would have been easier to just say as much. All of those other wild exaggerations (Charlotte has more places of interest than NOLA, Austin doesn't have large-scale special events, NASCAR and CIAA provide more entertainment than SXSW and ACL, etc.) didn't help your case at all.

You obviously are PARAPHRASING , and ofcourse that leads to a misunderstanding.
I NEVER said Austin doesnt have large scale events...I NEVER said that.
What I said was, it doesnt pull throngs of people from other large cities to those events...which is why I REPEATEDLY kept saying that Ive never heard of people from Houston and Dallas flocking to Austin for anything.

In comparison: Speed Street is a HUGE event in Charlotte, but is more of a LOCAL event that people are not flocking from other states to come to. Versus CIAA TOURNAMENT and NASCAR, in which you have people from GA, FL, SC, DC, and other parts of the SE and the nation..flying and driving into Charlotte for the event. (Austin really doesnt have events like that which garners visitors from other states/large cities.)

and FYI: CIAA tournament and NASCAR are Regional and National events, respectively. And NO, Austin's events just dont garner that type of PULL.

NOLA, on the other hand, draws national crowds almost every few months, and is 10x's above Charlotte's league in attracting visitors for events. thats a FACT.

Furthurmore, Charlotte is BY FAR the better looking city of both Austin and NOLA. Far better scenery, far better greenery, far better downtown area (purely asthetically speaking, not entertainment), real CITY feel, and NICE outlying areas. <<< This is not relating to any entertainment purposes, but purely the LOOK of the city ONLY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Reputation: 18522
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
sorry but nola doesnt have an amusement park anymore haha
It doesn't really need it anyway. Losing it doesn't really affect its tourist numbers much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I actually agree with him about Austin. Charlotte has more to do, better Large-scale events, better downtown...have you guys even been there? My grandparents live there.... Now as far as New Orleans that's a different story. However he has a point.
Here's what he said about Austin:

"Special Events (Bowl Games, ACC Championship, DNC, etc. ) add tourists, which Austin doesnt have."

"Austin DEFINITELY has great events...i ALSO NEVER SAID THEY DIDNT> but as far as the PULL to have visitors (people not too frequent to the city), they just dont have that too often. And sorry to burst your bubble, but the ones you have listed are more LOCAL events, believe it or not. No one is flying into Austin or spending big money for hotels and special weekend is Austin for those events."

"NASCAR and CIAA together kill ANY non-football events Austin has, from an both and entertainment AND visitor-traffic standpoint."


I'm sorry, but those things just aren't true. NASCAR races and CIAA might attract more visitors than the largest Austin events, but to say they "kill ANY non-football events Austin has" from an entertainment standpoint is just ludicrous, especially considering SXSW and ACL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
You obviously are PARAPHRASING , and ofcourse that leads to a misunderstanding.
I NEVER said Austin doesnt have large scale events...I NEVER said that.
What I said was, it doesnt pull throngs of people from other large cities to those events...which is why I REPEATEDLY kept saying that Ive never heard of people from Houston and Dallas flocking to Austin for anything.
Here are your exact words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
Special Events (Bowl Games, ACC Championship, DNC, etc.) add tourists, which Austin doesnt have.
And clearly, people from all over the country flock to Austin for SXSW and ACL. Just because you don't know of people from Houston or Dallas that do (as if they are the only large cities in the country) doesn't mean it's not true. Furthermore, those events appeal to more of an artistic crowd anyway; they aren't like sporting events which have broader general appeal.

Quote:
Furthurmore, Charlotte is BY FAR the better looking city of both Austin and NOLA. Far better scenery, far better greenery, far better downtown area (purely asthetically speaking, not entertainment), real CITY feel, and NICE outlying areas. <<< This is not relating to any entertainment purposes, but purely the LOOK of the city ONLY
Aesthetics is subjective, but NOLA has much more of a city feel to me seeing as though it's denser, more historic, and more urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 3,119,260 times
Reputation: 1653
Nola definitely has more of a city feel than Uptown Charlotte..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
239 posts, read 311,319 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Nola definitely has more of a city feel than Uptown Charlotte..

How can you compare NOLA as a CITY to just the Uptown area of Charlotte?? lol .
And also, that was NEVER in question.
But due to DENSITY, like another poster posted, I guess I agree that NOLA provides more of a city feel.

I also dont think people realize how SMALL Nola is.. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM
 
109 posts, read 170,299 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Nola definitely has more of a city feel than Uptown Charlotte..
I agree 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 PM
 
3,467 posts, read 3,152,457 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
How can you compare NOLA as a CITY to just the Uptown area of Charlotte?? lol .
And also, that was NEVER in question.
But due to DENSITY, like another poster posted, I guess I agree that NOLA provides more of a city feel.

I also dont think people realize how SMALL Nola is.. lol.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying having spent a lot time in Texas and Louisiana. I lived in the capital hill area of DC for several years and downtown DC is relatively small (although the DC metro is huge and has pockets of urbanity all over the city/metro). I think places seem a lot bigger during a few visits but frequenting or living in city for a while really gives you a gauge of it's true size; or maybe it's just the familiar. New Orleans isn't that big but seems so since it's urban core is larger than uptown Charlotte; comparing metro-to-metro, Charlotte is larger and sprawls much like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. People tend to frown upon sprawl but usually can't wait to find a nice subdivision (Highland Creek, etc) with nearby shopping, pub and other amenities. All sprawl ain't bad and a lot of urban living is vastly overrated.

I have to be blunt in this case, I am Black and have no interest in participating in any event in Austin that I am aware of. Whereas if I lived in the southeast region, events like CIAA and tons of HBCU year-round events would pique my interest. All of these cities/metros mentioned are nice with pros and cons....Charlotte indeed has a lot of pros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 PM
 
6,272 posts, read 10,028,195 times
Reputation: 4724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I have to be blunt in this case, I am Black and have no interest in participating in any event in Austin that I am aware of.
You ain't lied, but SXSW does have hip-hop acts too. IMO, Charlotte is on the right track, though the city is quite under-rated. That's what happens when a city "came up from the bottom" (to quote Drake) too fast for America to keep up.

Though events like SXSW run for several days, has gone strong for over 20 years, and has National exposure; it seems to compare quite well with Charlotte events in terms of attendance. Events like the CIAA (only 3-4 days) bring in close to 200k visitors for Charlotte. Speed Street (3-4 days) bring in 400k. SXSW (10 days) brings in a total of nearly 300k spectators. The biggest difference with SXSW are the massive amounts of spending by folks who stay at area hotels for several days. As a result, SXSW trumps Charlotte events when it comes to economic impact.

As for total visitors, Charlotte did well compared to its peers even as far back as 2007.

Forbes 30 Most Visited cities in America

^^^I'd love for Forbes to do an updated list of America's 30 Most visited. I'm almost certain that Charlotte moved up a few spots, not down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 02:32 AM
 
Location: south of north carolina
173 posts, read 245,234 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Nola definitely has more of a city feel than Uptown Charlotte..
and austin has a bigger city feel then atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 AM
 
109 posts, read 170,299 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As for total visitors, Charlotte did well compared to its peers even as far back as 2007.

Forbes 30 Most Visited cities in America

^^^I'd love for Forbes to do an updated list of America's 30 Most visited. I'm almost certain that Charlotte moved up a few spots, not down.
I think that list is based off of CLT airport visits and not city visits, The reason I suggest that is because Charlotte's own PR arm (CRVA) states the following in a January, 2011 article. (bolded emphasis is mine):

“For a five year period, the Charlotte metro area attracts [an estimated] 18 million visitors annually who collectively spend roughly $3.5 billion in our local economy on items such as lodging, food & beverage, transportation, shopping, entertainment, and other amenities.”

Additionally CRVA's own website says (bold emphasis mine again),

"On an annual basis, the CRVA facilities host over 600 events attended by approximately 2 million residents and visitors."

Granted - the facilities (Convention Center, Ovens, Bojangles, Time Warner Arena, NASCAR HoF) are not all Charlotte offers - but let's be frank -outside fo BoA stadium those facilities (not attractions) do make up the bulk of our facilities that host large tourist gatherings such as conventions and tournaments.

Finally the latest State of the Center City report (2012) lists a combined annual "11 million visitors to Uptown and South End" which may seem like a large number at first glance - but they include Charlotte residents who live outside these two areas (i.e. the bulk) in this case of "visitors".

BTW - the point of me actually pulling out all of these facts on Charlotte tourism is not meant to knock it, but I think there's a lot of ignorance and misconceptions about Charlotte's ability to call itself a tourist destination at this time. We are certainly a regional destination, and our numbers are growing for national and international tourism (thanks to the pr of the DNC last year) but we are not on a top ten or even top 15 list on any tracking source I can find of most visited U.S. cities by tourists (and not airport visit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
239 posts, read 311,319 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
I think that list is based off of CLT airport visits and not city visits, The reason I suggest that is because Charlotte's own PR arm (CRVA) states the following in a January, 2011 article. (bolded emphasis is mine):

“For a five year period, the Charlotte metro area attracts [an estimated] 18 million visitors annually who collectively spend roughly $3.5 billion in our local economy on items such as lodging, food & beverage, transportation, shopping, entertainment, and other amenities.”

Additionally CRVA's own website says (bold emphasis mine again),

"On an annual basis, the CRVA facilities host over 600 events attended by approximately 2 million residents and visitors."

Granted - the facilities (Convention Center, Ovens, Bojangles, Time Warner Arena, NASCAR HoF) are not all Charlotte offers - but let's be frank -outside fo BoA stadium those facilities (not attractions) do make up the bulk of our facilities that host large tourist gatherings such as conventions and tournaments.

Finally the latest State of the Center City report (2012) lists a combined annual "11 million visitors to Uptown and South End" which may seem like a large number at first glance - but they include Charlotte residents who live outside these two areas (i.e. the bulk) in this case of "visitors".

BTW - the point of me actually pulling out all of these facts on Charlotte tourism is not meant to knock it, but I think there's a lot of ignorance and misconceptions about Charlotte's ability to call itself a tourist destination at this time. We are certainly a regional destination, and our numbers are growing for national and international tourism (thanks to the pr of the DNC last year) but we are not on a top ten or even top 15 list on any tracking source I can find of most visited U.S. cities by tourists (and not airport visit).


Opinion totally respected, but I dont think anyone was trying to designate Charlotte as a "touristic destination".

And for some reason, I really dont consider something a NATIONAL event until I see commercials about it...I think thats valid proof that an event is a National Event.
CIAA and SXSW are REGIONAL events to me. You will see LOCAL commercials about these things, generally. I could be wrong though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top