U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:44 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,691,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
All I stated was that Charlotte does well with tourism compared to its peers. With that said, here are the tourism numbers for Austin vs Charlotte and you'll see why the Forbes list I provided ranks Charlotte slightly behind the likes of Austin.

Quote:
In fact, according to an analysis of Austin’s tourism industry commissioned by the Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau, 19.8 million people visited the Austin area in 2010, an increase of 16 percent from 17 million visitors in 2009. Annual visitor spending totaled $3.9 billion and tourism provided 37,900 jobs (a 2.7 percent increase), with employees earning $927 million (four percent increase) over the course of the year.
Austin, Texas Tourism - Economic Impact on the Capital City

Quote:
A study released this month by the North Carolina Division of Tourism showed Mecklenburg County leads all of the state's 100 counties with more than $4.1 billion in domestic travelers' expenditures in 2011. The total is more than double any other county's tourism spending. Wake County ranks second with a $1.7 billion contribution. Mecklenburg County also directly employs the most tourism employees with more than 43,000 and has the largest total payroll ($1.4 billion).
Charlotte/Mecklenburg County Leads NC in Tourism Impact

^^^Keep in mind that these Charlotte stats are for Meck county and not the city of Charlotte itself. Then again, the Austin stats are for the "Austin area" which could mean the entire county or metro area. It's hard to tell. Clearly (when we look at the numbers) Charlotte is keeping up with its peers. The problem for Charlotte is perception (or lack there of).

Music and the media are constantly in bed with each other. As a result, the Austins and the Nashvilles of America are talked about globally much more than places like Charlotte. It's so twisted right now that an overseas visitor would probably assume that Nashville and Austin are "head and shoulders" above places like Charlotte and Columbus. The truth is that I'd take Charlotte's South End and Columbus's Short North over any where in Austin and Nashville, but that's because I know where these cities actually stand. I'm not fooled by the hype because I've been to all 4 in person.

Tourism is a very perception/image based business. Through conventions, pro-sports, and annual events like CIAA/Speedstreet, Charlotte is able to pull in numbers that are similar to Austin's. Austin does it with music instead of pro-sports teams. The beauty with music is that the city always wins. With pro-sports, the city can lose BIG TIME when both teams stink.

I'll be the first to admit that Charlotte doesn't have a ton of unique tourist attractions, but neither does Austin. The hipster/music theme makes Austin just as much of a one-trick-pony as most mid sized cities. The cities down south that truly has something for everyone are places like South Florida and Atlanta. Obviously Charlotte can't become a South Florida, but a smaller version of Atlanta is not such a bad thing IMO.

Atlanta has a strong and vibrant center city (actually, it has 3 of them), it has decent mass transit, interesting urban real estate, water parks, pro-sports, a theme park, great shopping, the list goes on. Atlanta has a music scene as well. The thing I like about Atlanta is the fact that music isn't the only thing going for the place. Atlanta (when it comes to tourism) is like a mini-LA. In other words, the city has its hand on multiple things rather than just one or two gimmicks. I like that, and it's a recipe that I think Charlotte should borrow. Nothing against Austin and Nashville, but I honestly think that Charlotte should look up to larger metros with multiple attractions; not smaller ones that rely on 1 single gimmick.
Agreed! Why do you think that when the Charlotte Chamber and city leaders go to different cities for their fact-finding tours each year, they go to places like Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Denver, and not Indianapolis, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Fl or Cincinnati? The aforementioned cities are the cities that Charlotte want to be someday, they want to join the Big Leagues, and Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Denver is in that category! Atlanta sometimes get a bad rap on the main city-data forum for its sprawl, but I don't mind seeing Charlotte resembling more of Atlanta in terms of amenities, vibe and culture and everything you mentioned Charlotte should borrow from the ATL, because let's face, Atlanta is the city Charlotte is trying to compete with for "Top-Dog" status in the southeast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM

173 posts, read 245,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Agreed! Why do you think that when the Charlotte Chamber and city leaders go to different cities for their fact-finding tours each year, they go to places like Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Denver, and not Indianapolis, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Fl or Cincinnati? The aforementioned cities are the cities that Charlotte want to be someday, they want to join the Big Leagues, and Houston, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Denver is in that category! Atlanta sometimes get a bad rap on the main city-data forum for its sprawl, but I don't mind seeing Charlotte resembling more of Atlanta in terms of amenities, vibe and culture and everything you mentioned Charlotte should borrow from the ATL, because let's face, Atlanta is the city Charlotte is trying to compete with for "Top-Dog" status in the southeast!
I agree with majority, but Denver isn't exactly a "big league" city.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:13 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
I agree with majority, but Denver isn't exactly a "big league" city.
It's subjective, but it does probably come the closest to the next step in Charlotte's evolution as a city. Denver acts somewhat larger than it is given that it's the hub of its region and is very isolated.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's subjective, but it does probably come the closest to the next step in Charlotte's evolution as a city. Denver acts somewhat larger than it is given that it's the hub of its region and is very isolated.
That's why I don't consider it big league. The city is over-exaggerated because it's isolated, therefore having the mindset it's larger than it actually is.

Metro Denver is only about 345,000 people larger than metro Charlotte. The only thing I'd see Charlotte looking to them for is a larger variety of sports.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
That's why I don't consider it big league. The city is over-exaggerated because it's isolated, therefore having the mindset it's larger than it actually is.
It's not "overexaggerated;" the importance and amenities it has are legitimate.

Quote:
Metro Denver is only about 345,000 people larger than metro Charlotte. The only thing I'd see Charlotte looking to them for is a larger variety of sports.
I've not been to Denver, but from what I understand, it's done a pretty good job with historic preservation and urban revitalization. Charlotte can always take cues from cities that have had a jump on urban redevelopment trends.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 PM

111 posts, read 281,735 times
Denver may be isolated, but it has the majestic backdrop of the Rocky Mountains. Obviously Charlotte will never have that. But we could bare to learn a few things from Denver. Including transportation, i.e. roads, airports, and public transportation. Plus Denver and surrounding are very pedestrian friendly, something that Charlotte, while improving, does lack. Excluding Uptown.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
It's not "overexaggerated;" the importance and amenities it has are legitimate.
No, it's just overexaggerated. If Denver is a "big league" city because of those additional 345,000 people, then I'll be damned. Otherwise, I'm not seeing it.

Quote:
I've not been to Denver, but from what I understand, it's done a pretty good job with historic preservation and urban revitalization. Charlotte can always take cues from cities that have had a jump on urban redevelopment trends.
Charlotte has made it obvious it isn't interested in preserving too many historic buildings. So I don't think this is a good example.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,746,017 times
Quote:
No, it's just overexaggerated. If Denver is a "big league" city because of those additional 345,000 people, then I'll be damned. Otherwise, I'm not seeing it.

Charlotte has made it obvious it isn't interested in preserving too many historic buildings. So I don't think this is a good example.
Spot on...

Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 AM

11,808 posts, read 9,396,523 times
Quote:

You speak of 350k like its minimal. 350K inside Charlotte city limits would definitely change how Charlotte is viewed.

Edit: I stand corrected. 350K isnt that much when talking about metro pop. I thought it was within city limits

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 07-14-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
It's not necessarily about the additional people, but the importance and amenities it has for being the hub of its region. This is why, despite population differences, Denver tends to be lumped in with Seattle and Minneapolis.

Quote:
You can still have good urban development even with the lack of historic buildings. And there's also transit which Denver seems to do well, including a bike share program.

I see lots of pointers for Charlotte coming from Denver: Elements of Urbanism: Denver | Metro Jacksonville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or