Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:07 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times

Advertisements

^^^I think the next step in Charlotte's evolution is more neighborhoods like South End and MLB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 PM

109 posts, read 200,217 times
I'll tell you where Charlotte is on the wrong track - all these discussions that focus on other cities strengths or weaknesses in a thread about Charlotte.

While there is nothing wrong in learning from other cities - there does seem to be a preoccupation with them here. Innate Jealousy or feelings of inadequacy? I'm not completely certain - but it does seem to be a thread in many discussions on this board.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
^^^I think the next step in Charlotte's evolution is more neighborhoods like South End and MLB.
Sounds like Denver to me.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM

173 posts, read 296,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not necessarily about the additional people, but the importance and amenities it has for being the hub of its region. This is why, despite population differences, Denver tends to be lumped in with Seattle and Minneapolis.
The amenities are due to it's geographical location. As Charlotte is the hub for majority of Upstate SC and the Central/western portions of NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You can still have good urban development even with the lack of historic buildings. And there's also transit which Denver seems to do well, including a bike share program.

I see lots of pointers for Charlotte coming from Denver: Elements of Urbanism: Denver | Metro Jacksonville
I agree about transit. But Charlotte isn't saying "Wow, look at Denver's transit and amenities. We need to get them here."

Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
I'll tell you where Charlotte is on the wrong track - all these discussions that focus on other cities strengths or weaknesses in a thread about Charlotte.

While there is nothing wrong in learning from other cities - there does seem to be a preoccupation with them here. Innate Jealousy or feelings of inadequacy? I'm not completely certain - but it does seem to be a thread in many discussions on this board.
I guess you could say CD is on the wrong track... . It's a city data board so it makes sense for people to compare cities so it's not that big of a deal.

There is definitely a hint of jealousy when cutting down other cities to make Charlotte feel taller than it is at the moment. Charlotte has a lot going for it but it sure seems like some people have a hard time giving other cities credit.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
I agree about transit. But Charlotte isn't saying "Wow, look at Denver's transit and amenities. We need to get them here."
Would it upset you if they did?

You seem to have issues with Denver for some reason. I don't care if it's Denver, NYC or Buffalo... as long as it's a good idea who cares where it comes from.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I guess you could say CD is on the wrong track... . It's a city data board so it makes sense for people to compare cities so it's not that big of a deal.

There is definitely a hint of jealousy when cutting down other cities to make Charlotte feel taller than it is at the moment. Charlotte has a lot going for it but it sure seems like some people have a hard time giving other cities credit.
That is totally untrue!!! I see other people(such as yourself) from other cities who constantly put down Charlotte. If anything It seems other people are THREATENED by Charlottes' quick rise.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
That is totally untrue!!! I see other people(such as yourself) from other cities who constantly put down Charlotte. If anything It seems other people are THREATENED by Charlottes' quick rise.
I live here..own a home in Meck county.

Constantly put Charlotte down? You have no idea what you are talking about. If I was threatened by Charlotte's quick rise why the heck did I buy a home in Charlotte?

Just because I don't feel the need to bash every other city or feel Charlotte is perfect doesn't mean I don't love this city. I'm usually the one defending Charlotte in here but every so often a person says something outrageous about another city to make Charlotte look good and I can't let it slide.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I live here..own a home in Meck county.

Constantly put Charlotte down? You have no idea what you are talking about. If I was threatened by Charlotte's quick rise why the heck did I buy a home in Charlotte?

Just because I don't feel the need to bash every other city or feel Charlotte is perfect doesn't mean I don't love this city. I'm usually the one defending Charlotte in here but every so often a person says something outrageous about another city to make Charlotte look good and I can't let it slide.
Yes, but you exaggerated. Not 1 person from Charlotte in this thread had said anything outrageous! I'm sorry but I have been to Denver and its not all that greater than Charlotte. Yes, it has better light rail, however Charlotte has better bus service. Yes Denver has mlb and is denser in its core,however this doesn't make it better. I'm sorry but for Charlotte to be the smaller metro it can DEFINITELY go toe-to-toe when it comes to amenities, progressiveness, economy,diversity, skyline,livability,etc...

Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Yes, but you exaggerated. Not 1 person from Charlotte in this thread had said anything outrageous! I'm sorry but I have been to Denver and its not all that greater than Charlotte. Yes, it has better light rail, however Charlotte has better bus service. Yes Denver has mlb and is denser in its core,however this doesn't make it better. I'm sorry but for Charlotte to be the smaller metro it can DEFINITELY go toe-to-toe when it comes to amenities, progressiveness, economy,diversity, skyline,livability,etc...
You are being outrageous right now...

When did I say Denver was better? The only thing I said is there is nothing wrong if, IF.. and I repeat IF Charlotte looked to Denver, NYC or Buffalo for things that would strengthen are city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte