U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,646,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Its hot this weekend... humid and hot.
Yup. I've been down here for a month and have loved the weather so far, but the past two days have been more typical summer weather. Never thought that the first good summer (weather-wise) in a long time for me would be in the deep South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 PM

162 posts, read 350,695 times
I just read it looks like we'll be getting the cold air damming scenario starting Thursday. Never in my 15 years of living here have I heard of a cold air damming situation in the summer. Happens all the time the rest of the year, but I've never seen it do it in summer.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM

99 posts, read 155,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Generally speaking, I do not turn on the A/C until it goes over 95 degrees (F). That is, of course, with reasonable humidity. I despise air conditioned air & am actually allergic to (the mold that is in) it. However, with the increased humidity & constant rain, I have had to keep it on.

My summer indoor temperature is set at 80, so, the A/C does not run a lot, but, it does de-humidify, which is the point.
I have no idea how your home is not a molded and damp setting AC at 80. I would think if your house is insulated that your AC would barely run. You would probably benefit from a dehumidifier more then an AC system. In order to dry out a house properly you AC has to run almost constantly. That why properly sized AC units for your home will run almost all the time. If they short cycle the house can get moldy. You make actually be creating more mold by setting a thermostat at 80.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM

279 posts, read 357,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckeith View Post
I have no idea how your home is not a molded and damp setting AC at 80.
It wasn't that long ago when there was no AC in houses in Charlotte or anywhere in the South for that matter. Anyone older than 50 will remember it if they lived here then. They didn't get moldy & damp in the summer.

IMO homes of that time were probably healthier inside than the hermetically sealed houses of today where people like to keep it unnaturally cold during the summer. I feel like I need to take a jacket into some peoples houses in the summer.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,752,876 times
I've been watching the weather and I'm not sure I'd want to live near a lake or creek with the flooding I've been seeing.

Am I either overreacting and/or falling for the media blowing everything out of proportion? It looks like its been a record year for rain. Has flooding been that big a problem?

We plan to move in the coming months, rent an apartment from where we are now and then look for a house once we get there.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I've been watching the weather and I'm not sure I'd want to live near a lake or creek with the flooding I've been seeing.

Am I either overreacting and/or falling for the media blowing everything out of proportion? It looks like its been a record year for rain. Has flooding been that big a problem?

We plan to move in the coming months, rent an apartment from where we are now and then look for a house once we get there.

Media was right this time, the rain has been insane. It not normal shower but more drenching tropical like heavy down pours, to much for drains to handle. This week and last, only time it didnt rain every day since June.
When looking for apartment and house pay attention to what topography it is located at. Try to avoid places at bottom of a hill and near a creek. A hill or incline is best.

Here a few pictures I took. All these are small creeks that was turned into a rushing river. The one going over the road, is a creek that normally 8 feet beneath the bridge.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-13-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,065,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
It wasn't that long ago when there was no AC in houses in Charlotte or anywhere in the South for that matter. Anyone older than 50 will remember it if they lived here then. They didn't get moldy & damp in the summer.

IMO homes of that time were probably healthier inside than the hermetically sealed houses of today where people like to keep it unnaturally cold during the summer. I feel like I need to take a jacket into some peoples houses in the summer.

It feels like that when we go to my wife's sisters place or her parents place, both of who live in Southern Virginia. In our house, AC doesn't go on unless the high is going to be 88 or higher, and it stays at 79 degrees when it's on, unless my wife argues enough to get it down to 78 or 77 overnight. During the day when we aren't home, 84 upstairs, 82 downstairs.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 AM

2,717 posts, read 1,752,876 times
Wow, insane is right. That doesn't look like a creek, it looks like a river!

Thanks for the advice on what to look for. I found a good website from this forum that allows you to plug in an address and tells you if you're near a flood plain. I forget the name now, but I have it somewhere.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Media was right this time the rain has been insane. It not normal shower but more drenching tropical like heavy down pours to much for drains to handle. This week and last only time it didnt rain every day since June.
When looking for apartment and house pay attention to what topography is located at. Try to avoid places at bottom of a hill and near a creek. A hill or incline is best.

Here a few pictures I took. All these are small creeks that was turned into a rushing river. The one going over the road, is a creek that normally 8 feet beneath the bridge.

I think the last picture of the bridge was next to a friend of mine off of Beam Lumber Road... Correct?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I think the last picture of the bridge was next to a friend of mine off of Beam Lumber Road... Correct?
Yeah, near Wood Mill Winery . The first one going over the road is on Hwy 27 below Tony Stewart new mansion. The second one is Howard Creek Mill right beside where haunted attraction 'Terror by the Creek' is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte