U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 PM

111 posts, read 281,570 times

Advertisements

To read articles online? I for one, think that's kind of rotten. Yeah, 99 cents isn't much. But it isn't worth it to read The Charlotte Observer, by any means. Some of it's articles are pretty poorly written. And most are subpar at best. They must really be struggling big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:11 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,804,979 times
Actually, they are a little behind! Most major newspapers have already started charging online fees.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 PM

2,840 posts, read 4,159,780 times
I have found much better news from the online local news station websites -(wbtv.com/wsoctv.com/wcnc.com).

The Charlotte Observer has long been trash. I can't believe anyone pays to read it!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,281,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I have found much better news from the online local news station websites -(wbtv.com/wsoctv.com/wcnc.com).

The Charlotte Observer has long been trash. I can't believe anyone pays to read it!
If you think youre getting decent news from the TV stations, you're not paying attention. The tv stations only recycle what the observer reports on. Very little original reporting or investigations. The Observer isn't perfect but its the only serious news source we have. They deserve to get paid for their work.

Every time I hear this Observer bashing, there's never specifics. Do you have any specifics?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,659,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
If you think youre getting decent news from the TV stations, you're not paying attention. The tv stations only recycle what the observer reports on. Very little original reporting or investigations. The Observer isn't perfect but its the only serious news source we have. They deserve to get paid for their work.

Every time I hear this Observer bashing, there's never specifics. Do you have any specifics?
wccb.com also parrots articles from The Observer because they are news partners. So you can often cheat the paywall that way.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,659,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
To read articles online? I for one, think that's kind of rotten. Yeah, 99 cents isn't much. But it isn't worth it to read The Charlotte Observer, by any means. Some of it's articles are pretty poorly written. And most are subpar at best. They must really be struggling big time.
Charlotte Observer Paywall Goes Up
No more unlimited access to CO

Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 AM

106 posts, read 152,853 times
IMO, the Observer is 80% recycled reprints of AP & McClatchy generic articles. There is very little relevant local news in the Observer that is specific to Charlotte. What does pass for this is shallow, often simple parroting of government, taxpayer funded institutions and big business. There is absolutely no real investigative journalism. That disappeared from that rag in the 1990s and it's been 30 years since the paper won a Pulitzer award.

I grew up in a household that got the Observer every day for decades and the evening Charlotte News as well. It's a damned shame to see what the Observer has become compared to those days. The Internet didn't kill the Observer, incompetent and clueless management did.

On the other hand, a fool and their money are soon parted and if people want to pay to read useless fluff, I guess that is their business.

Last edited by cltlilly; 07-09-2013 at 04:02 AM..

Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,036,177 times
I paid for the 99 cent one month trial, but I won't be renewing. I wanted to see if their new commenting rule (can comment only with facebook account) changed the tenor of the comments.* I did like clicking articles, not worrying if I had reached the limit, but not enough to pay what they ask. I can generally read on the site as much as I need without bumping against the paywall. Also, on a video on an article, there was an ad before the content! I can understand that on the free access, but I don't want to pay, then watch ads.

*Yes. There are decidedly fewer comments, and much less trolling, but the discussion is still usually far from intelligent.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,074,866 times
How terrible! I guess I'm going to have to get my news from the thousands of other website that have the exact same info at no charge!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,012,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
If it's not worth 99 cents it hardly seems worth a tirade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte