U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:57 PM

111 posts, read 257,945 times

Advertisements

Is expected to move towards the Carolina coast this weekend. Some of the models have a very eerie look for us in Charlotte. More very heavy rain with what could be a pretty good wind threat. That would spell trouble for the trees. So just stay up to date and stay safe. I follow Brad Panovich on Twitter, he is a very good source for staying on top of the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 PM

35,886 posts, read 62,204,744 times
Yeah, I am watching it closely, too.

Folks should be thinking about their trees . . . with all this rain, two things - expanded canopies, so heavier than usual branches . . . and saturated ground, making tree roots vulnerable to toppling over.

I agree, Brad Panovich does a great job!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yeah, I am watching it closely, too.

Folks should be thinking about their trees . . . with all this rain, two things - expanded canopies, so heavier than usual branches . . . and saturated ground, making tree roots vulnerable to toppling over.

I agree, Brad Panovich does a great job!
Exactly. And for the love of all humanity, never drive through high water. People do even with all the warning and it puts their lives in danger along with the first responders. If this thing hits like it is currently expected, I expect some major flooding and major power loss.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:11 PM

35,886 posts, read 62,204,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
Exactly. And for the love of all humanity, never drive through high water. People do even with all the warning and it puts their lives in danger along with the first responders. If this thing hits like it is currently expected, I expect some major flooding and major power loss.
I am thinking the same things, Dont.

Interesting to watch the storm's progress but it's anxiety-inducing, knowing how much damage sustained high winds could cause in this region. At least, for me it is. Thank goodness we have time to be sensibly prepared.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,341,777 times
I just posted this on another thread. I recently moved back to Greensboro after living decades in Charleston. Even though I know the risks we have inland, I am happy I don't have to board up and leave ever again.

I kept a major hurricane kit. I gave it to my (transplant) neighbors. They'll need it! Poor things have no idea....

Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 54,997,224 times
I think now the time to do some stocking, refueling this looks like it has Charlotte in the center of cone of certainty. Hurricane Chantel interactive map -> Hurricane Track Interactive Map -

Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think now the time to do some stocking, refueling this looks like it has Charlotte in the center of cone of certainty. Hurricane Chantel interactive map -> Hurricane Track Interactive Map -
Not good. The only saving grace is the forward speed of Chantal is pretty fast, however, with the warm waters over the Atlantic, Chantal could strengthen to hurricane strength before making landfall. This something that we need to keep a very close eye on. And like you said, now would be good time for stocking up on non perishables.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 PM

8,229 posts, read 7,513,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
Is expected to move towards the Carolina coast this weekend. Some of the models have a very eerie look for us in Charlotte. More very heavy rain with what could be a pretty good wind threat. That would spell trouble for the trees. So just stay up to date and stay safe. I follow Brad Panovich on Twitter, he is a very good source for staying on top of the weather.
Storm will get beaten up pretty good by the Hispaniola mountains , then high wind shear..doubt its much of anything if it makes it to the states..

Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 54,997,224 times

Good news this morning as T.S. Chantal has weakened quite a bit overnight. The storm faces an uphill battle maintaining itself over the next couple of days. It may no longer be a tropical storm as the circulation turns northwest then northward into the Bahamas by Friday. While it may only be a depression or tropical low pressure system by the weekend, we can't be sure if we'll see enhanced rain chances here later Sunday.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:34 AM

8,229 posts, read 7,513,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Good news this morning as T.S. Chantal has weakened quite a bit overnight. The storm faces an uphill battle maintaining itself over the next couple of days. It may no longer be a tropical storm as the circulation turns northwest then northward into the Bahamas by Friday. While it may only be a depression or tropical low pressure system by the weekend, we can't be sure if we'll see enhanced rain chances here later Sunday.
As expected. Can't believe Chantal even got a sticky. Must have known somebody
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte