Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,035 times

Advertisements

Why do people flash their lights, beep their horn and tailgate when they are behind me when I am in the left lane doing the speed limit? This is like the fourth time this has happened to me. This time today another car was in front of me and we are both doing the speed limit(45) and I hear someone beep and im like OK and then they start flashing their lights and by that time the car in front of me got in the right lane and then the person behind me got really close to me and continued to flash his/her lights. I then got in the right lane and the person behind me passed me and got in my lane and pretty much cut me off and then he/she just drove normal after that.

Do people just do this cause they see someone with out of state plates and want to give them a hard time? This has happened to me a few times already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:29 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Probably because they're idiots. Sounds like you did the right thing moving over.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Read the driver's handbook. The left lane is for passing, so they have the right to signal you to move over. That being said, we all drive in the left lane around town and on highways but it is technically for passing. It would be courteous of you to move over and allow them to pass.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I agree. The left lane is for passing. It drives (no pun intended) me nuts when people just drive in the left lane, speed limit or not. Pass, and get back over.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
It's also in the driver's handbook that the passing vehicle should blow their horn to alert the driver being passed of their intention.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
I'm in the same boat (car... boat LOL - driving with out of state plates) and been on the receiving end of many aggressive driving situations since I moved here... To excuse this type of driving because of a lack of "courtesy" (i.e. GETTING OUT OF THEIR WAY) is pretty sad. Folks shouldn't drive aggressively like this, but they do - plain and simple - from what I've seen. I'm talking when you're driving with the flow of traffic, too. Not putzing along as a Sunday driver. I also notice very aggressive moves to "close off" gaps so I can't pull into another lane when I signal to move over many times.

The irony is that these folks are likely just transplants themselves giving those with NC tags a bad name.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
IF I am driving in the left lane and someone is approaching behind me at a higher rate of speed, I move over and let them pass.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Why do people flash their lights, beep their horn and tailgate when they are behind me when I am in the left lane doing the speed limit? This is like the fourth time this has happened to me. This time today another car was in front of me and we are both doing the speed limit(45) and I hear someone beep and im like OK and then they start flashing their lights and by that time the car in front of me got in the right lane and then the person behind me got really close to me and continued to flash his/her lights. I then got in the right lane and the person behind me passed me and got in my lane and pretty much cut me off and then he/she just drove normal after that.

Do people just do this cause they see someone with out of state plates and want to give them a hard time? This has happened to me a few times already.
Even if you are going at the speed limit, you are blocking the flow of traffic. Like the many sings say, "Slower Traffic Keep to the Right".

Old 04-20-2010, 03:04 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Generally people like to pass on the left so if you are driving slower in the left lane you should move over. Some states have laws restricting the left lane to passing but NC does not, you just can't be going below the speed limit. Still, it's common practice and courtesy...drive in the right lane let people pass in the left. The signs posted saying "Slower Traffic Keep Right" are for you, move over already and let people pass!!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
OK so... If someone is doing the speed limit and breaking no laws - a cop is NOT going to cite you for driving in the left lane with traffic around, it's condoned for others to break the law (following too close, swerving close in front when they do pass, aggressive driving in general) because they've been deemed discourteous?

I think that pretty answers the OP's question... People drive like idiots around here and you should accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte