U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,121 times

Advertisements

So heres the deal.. The car dealer let me put insurance on truck sign contract as if it was financed through them. Only thing contract has on it is no cooling off period. I signed every pice of paperwork relating to buying the truck.. Do they have to honor this contract.. their are no stipulations that says they can back out

they say they want me to obtain financing with someone else.. but i clearly have a contract stating them as lein holder they even put it on my insurance before i drove off the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,643,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock0805 View Post
So heres the deal.. The car dealer let me put insurance on truck sign contract as if it was financed through them. Only thing contract has on it is no cooling off period. I signed every pice of paperwork relating to buying the truck.. Do they have to honor this contract.. their are no stipulations that says they can back out

they say they want me to obtain financing with someone else.. but i clearly have a contract stating them as lein holder they even put it on my insurance before i drove off the lot.
I'm sure they are covered in the fine print somewhere. It would probably come down to you having to pay for it and you haven't.

If you have poor credit this is a terrible tactic to get you not to back out and I can't see how they figure it is a good thing. It happened to me. All the paperwork was done and I took the car home. But it was never paid for.

If you keep it without paying for it you can expect a repo or a lawsuit or both.

I think a lawyer would probably tell you to take it back. At least make them work for it. Tell them the truck is parked in the street with the keys in it and they need to pick it up before someone else takes it. I sure as hell wouldn't do the work for them.

So, do they have to honor the contract? Yes. That contract probably says here's the truck, and here's the price. You get that truck at that price once you pay for it. But you haven't even if they lied to you which shouldn't come as a surprise.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:43 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,417,502 times
Just have your lawyer contact their lawyer. I'm sure something can be worked out after those pesky attorney fees are paid. $$$.

I bet this will teach you in the future make sure the $$$ aspect is worked out before you take possession of an object.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 AM

8,022 posts, read 2,751,591 times
I had a similar thing happen to me years ago at Town + Country Ford.
I signed all the paperwork and took home the car, then they called the next day saying they needed me to come in and go over some of the paperwork.
When I got there they said they could not get me the interest rate they had promised and had to go with a different lender at a higher rate.
When I laughed at them and refused they threatened to take me to court because I was not honoring the contract (great sales tactic huh?)
I told them that I signed a contract at the interest rated they promised not on a higher unknown rate.

They persisted and I told them fine, take me to court...and when I leave here today I will tell every other customer in the showroom and out on the lot what you are doing.

Suddenly after that they found a way to get me my original rate in the contract.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 AM

595 posts, read 1,401,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
I had a similar thing happen to me years ago at Town + Country Ford.
I signed all the paperwork and took home the car, then they called the next day saying they needed me to come in and go over some of the paperwork.
When I got there they said they could not get me the interest rate they had promised and had to go with a different lender at a higher rate.
Wow, I had the exact same thing happen to me when I bought a car from Town and Country Ford. Days after buying the car, they called me back in and told me that my interest rate was going to be higher than agreed so I needed to resign the paperwork. Not knowing any better I resigned the paperwork at the higher rate.

I guess that is a scam they use with a lot of people.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
When I laughed at them and refused they threatened to take me to court because I was not honoring the contract (great sales tactic huh?)
I told them that I signed a contract at the interest rated they promised not on a higher unknown rate.

They persisted and I told them fine, take me to court...and when I leave here today I will tell every other customer in the showroom and out on the lot what you are doing.

Suddenly after that they found a way to get me my original rate in the contract.
What a great way to introduce you to their true selves. I'm sure you'll be a lifelong customer.

Something similar happened to my mother. She refused to let me haggle on the price which of course painted her to be a SUCKER to the dealer. They called her and said there was a problem with the loan and she needed to come back in. I told her (and she listened this time) simply tell them to pick up the car. All of a sudden it was fixed. In these cases it's a deliberate tactic. A bait in switch. She loves the dealer to death because of the service department and that's the only thing that would keep me loyal to Toyota of North Charlotte.

Just simply not having your financing lined up in advance puts a target on you. Unless you are getting 0% or something like that they are going to figure you to be a mark. The dealer that tried this on me promised 0% but I knew that wasn't going to happen with my credit score. So why spend the hours on the paperwork then let me drive it home? Of course I was a stooge too.

You should know your credit score and know what you're really qualified for. Then get your bank or credit union to issue you a check. I actually did it post sale with Scott Clark and it Pd them off big time.

Have the check as a bargaining chip. No reason for them to waste time on bait and switch or sell you a higher rate to begin with. And if your bank won't lend to you then that's a sign you aren't going to get a great deal at the dealer. Still, that's no reason for them to screw around.

If that happened to me again I'd not only tell them to come get the car with the keys in the ignition but I'd tell them there's a sign that says "free car" on it (though I wouldn't actually do that but it would have the maximum possibility of emotional stress on them). Of course if they have your car as trade in you should drive it back as quickly as you can to get your vehicle.

Last year it was bizarre but for different reason. I paid cash but I had to transfer funds. So they just told me to write a post dated personal check. That was weird to be trusted like that but they really want you to leave in their car not yours (I didn't trade in either).

Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 PM

820 posts, read 1,530,542 times
I would let them know my first option will be a call to Bill McGinty at NBC 6 or Don Griffin/Griffith at Channel 9 (although Don may be retired. I never watch 9) I don't know if WBTV has a consumer reporter. Second, you let them know you will contact the NC Attorney General's (Roy Cooper) Office of Consumer Affairs and file a formal complaint. IF there is an insurance issue involved file a complaint with the NC Insurance Commissioner, Wayne Goodwin.
Do this in a non threatening way by telling the owner or manger, his dealership has backed you into a corner and before all of this is over, many people in the public and government are going to hear about this matter.

P.S When all this is brought to closure, let people on this forum and this posting know the results. My money says you will win eventually.

Last edited by paulosfm; 07-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Additional Text

Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
I would let them know my first option will be a call to Bill McGinty at NBC 6 or Don Griffin/Griffith at Channel 9 (although Don may be retired. I never watch 9) I don't know if WBTV has a consumer reporter. Second, you let them know you will contact the NC Attorney General's (Roy Cooper) Office of Consumer Affairs and file a formal complaint. IF there is an insurance issue involved file a complaint with the NC Insurance Commissioner, Wayne Goodwin.
Do this in a non threatening way by telling the owner or manger, his dealership has backed you into a corner and before all of this is over, many people in the public and government are going to hear about this matter.

P.S When all this is brought to closure, let people on this forum and this posting know the results. My money says you will win eventually.
My money is against yours. I've bought too many cars to know that if news investigators spent their time running down leads for deceptive car deals they'd have nothing else to do.

It's not an issue as long as the dealer says they can't get out of it. If I went down to collect my trade in and leave the vehicle and they refused I'd call the police. I'd make a rukus that would scare off all the other customers.

Otherwise, keeping a vehicle without paying for it isn't going to wash no matter what anyone says. Show me a report on TV where the issue was "they told me this and then it wasn't and I didn't lose any money". Don't think so. To get truly ripped off you need to lose consideration. That is what is at the heart of all contracts. No consideration has been lost in this deal gone bad.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,343,299 times
Does anyone else remember the hidden camera story Dateline did on Town and Country in Charlotte 10 years ago?

SONIC TO CHANGE ITS SALES METHODS

Auto dealership group Sonic Automotive Inc. will reform sales practices at six Charlotte-area stores, ending a state investigation launched after a 2003 hidden-camera expose by "Dateline NBC."
The Charlotte company will refund almost $1 million to thousands of customers it charged for a warranty they did not request; limit the fee it charges to arrange a car loan; and improve the way employees explain pricing to customers.
The deal addresses a growing, largely unregulated part of...
Published on 2006-03-16, Page 1A, Charlotte Observer, The (NC)

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/..._useweights=no

Sonic dealerships -- including Charlotte's Town & Country Ford -- were featured in a 2003 Dateline NBC report about hidden charges and other alleged abuses.

That led the N.C. Attorney General's office to open an investigation into Sonic's sales practices that's still under way after 18 months. The Sonic spokesman says the company continues to cooperate with N.C. authorities in their probe. But Sonic was also involved in what many consider the granddaddy of the recent round of suits against mega-dealers -- a whistleblower case filed in 1999 by Duane Overholt, who now operates StopAutoFraud.com Inc., which investigates and acts as a consultant in lawsuits against dealers.

Overholt, a former finance and insurance manager for Sonic's Clearwater Mitsubishi, was fired in 1999 after he gave federal authorities information about questionable sales practices. "It was the same kind of things then as it is now," he says. "Stuffing contracts (with charges hidden from buyers), forgery, selling products that didn't exist and were never installed on the cars."

Charlotte's auto dealership giants face wave of litigation - Charlotte Business Journal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP I wish you the best of luck!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Does anyone else remember the hidden camera story Dateline did on Town and Country in Charlotte 10 years ago?
I don't trust anyone. I bought three cars from Hendrick for a total of about $160K. You'd think I'd get good treatment.

Anyway, I got "invited" into one of those class action suits where I was refunded hundreds off the third car for not buying the warranty. They had to cough it up just for trying to sell it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte