Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 15,912 times

Advertisements

We have a very large crawl space that is at least 7-8 feet high in most areas, although there is some sloping of about 2 feet or so. According to our neighbors, it would have only been another $10K to put in the basement rather than the crawl space at the time of building. Does anyone know of a construction company and/or foundation experts that have done a project like this who could give us an estimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
My dad simply dug his crawl out himself, and laid gravel and a drain for cheap.

I think you could hire a mason to put some non-load-bearing concrete block walls up for $3000 or so, if you want to enclose the space and don't mind the gravel floor. Add a few thousand more to lay concrete and a drain if you want a better surface.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
My dad simply dug his crawl out himself, and laid gravel and a drain for cheap.

I think you could hire a mason to put some non-load-bearing concrete block walls up for $3000 or so, if you want to enclose the space and don't mind the gravel floor. Add a few thousand more to lay concrete and a drain if you want a better surface.

I don't know that your solution is actually considered a basement. To me a basement is a safe place to go during extreme weather. We have a very large crawl space and I have been wondering this myself. My husband on the other hand, suggested something similar as above, but realistically that does not create the strength and secuirty of a basement. I would think the two are completely different structurally. I will be following this in hopes of learning what it takes to convert a crawl space to a basement.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Our crawl space is very similar, and on a slope. Just a shame that a basement was not included. This was custom built home and I have always wished I could talk to the original owners (the house had been sold once previous to our buying it) and ask them why the heck they went to all the trouble of the custom upgrades and yet didn't include a basement. Perfect lot for a beautiful garden level basement with patio!

I have assumed it would just be waaaay too expensive and messy to get into a modification at this stage of the game but it is something I am very curious about (adding a basement).

Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
A neighbor of ours is doing it. They literally started working two days ago. The cost is around $125K with the finishes they chose. There are way too many variables for you to get an internet quote. Square footage, difficulty, soil, grading are just the start.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Also make sure to pull a permit (or make sure your licensed contractor does) if you are making any structural changes.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 15,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
A neighbor of ours is doing it. They literally started working two days ago. The cost is around $125K with the finishes they chose. There are way too many variables for you to get an internet quote. Square footage, difficulty, soil, grading are just the start.
Are they finishing the basement at the same time? Do you mind letting me know which company they are using?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 AM

106 posts, read 193,882 times
There is a house down the street that had something like this done. It's a lot more expensive do it after the fact. The problem that particular homeowner has now is that he went to refinance to get a lower rate, and found, those costs did not appraise out and now he owes more on the house than it's worth.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthieKate View Post
We have a very large crawl space that is at least 7-8 feet high in most areas, although there is some sloping of about 2 feet or so. According to our neighbors, it would have only been another $10K to put in the basement rather than the crawl space at the time of building. Does anyone know of a construction company and/or foundation experts that have done a project like this who could give us an estimate?
Hey, can you give us any updates on the basement situation? We just recently purchased a house ourselves, and although I absolutely love the house, I keep wishing that we had a basement.
Thanks.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
In my experience a walkout basement is a completely finished floor that is much like an entire apartment, or gameroom/bedroom/office, or some other combo of rooms that isn't part of the usual complement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte