U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM

3,389 posts, read 4,779,832 times

Advertisements

Made a similar move from MA years ago and loved it! I echo what everyone else has said. Charlotte is a wonderful place and I know you will like the change (and cost!) Of living there as opposed to MA. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:37 AM

314 posts, read 583,278 times
We moved here from MA about 7 years ago and love it. Looked around Lake Norman area and Concord and chose NW part of Concord. There is a Catholic school in Huntersville as another poster mentioned and a new Catholic HS being built. But our two children attend public school (Cabarrus County) and we have been very pleased.

We are very glad we moved here and have never looked back! There are many wonderful areas to choose from but this is the area that felt best to us. There is plenty to do, shopping, restaurants and I enjoy the friendliness of the people here. Definitely a much different atmosphere from the area of MA I am from.

I have a website I created for people who are relocating so I will send to you in a DM. It has information on Charlotte and the surrounding cities and towns, links for schools, taxes, things to do, etc. I think you will find it helpful as I remember how it is trying to relocate to an unfamiliar area....so I tried to put information that most people are looking for when relocating.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM

423 posts, read 662,255 times
We moved here from MA six years ago, and we've been quite happy. Is there a reason you want Catholic schools? We are very happy with the schools in western Union County. They are so good, I'd need a really good reason to pay for schools. But to each his own of course.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 AM

2,315 posts, read 4,043,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
We moved here from MA six years ago, and we've been quite happy. Is there a reason you want Catholic schools? We are very happy with the schools in western Union County. They are so good, I'd need a really good reason to pay for schools. But to each his own of course.
It's not a mandatory thing if the scenario is right for us. But mainly the reasons we want it are spiritual, wife went to Catholics, 5 year is in a Catholic School now, Catholic schools can go a little further on some things than publics. But again, given the right situaiton we'd consider otherwise.

Good to hear positive experiences you've had. thx!

Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 PM

515 posts, read 906,584 times
I moved down from MA a few years ago. I think the positives are weather and cost of housing. Most other things are equal or worse than Boston...depending upon what you do, work may be an issue. Rent for a year or so before buying.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:05 PM

2,315 posts, read 4,043,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I moved down from MA a few years ago. I think the positives are weather and cost of housing. Most other things are equal or worse than Boston...depending upon what you do, work may be an issue. Rent for a year or so before buying.
Thanks..Any examples of the negatives? State income tax? Tolls? Food costs? etc..Anything will help. thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or