U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM

2,315 posts, read 4,053,634 times

Advertisements

just looking to get a high level overview of Charlotte and where might be the best place to target if considering a move down there. We're a family of 3 kids (all 5 yrs and under), wife is remote 100% for work, my company has locations in the area and I could target remote work within my company. Budget is $300-$400k. At first glance seems I can do well for low 300s.

Anyway, just looking to get my head around it all. Looks like real estate is cheaper compared to here in MA, but I know there are always hidden costs in other areas. So looking to know the following from the experts:

1) state income tax rate (I googled but not sure) looks like 7.75% flat?
2) best towns/counties to look at
3) best schools and Catholic School options
4) best commuter towns into the city
5) Towns/Counties to avoid

Last edited by skids929; 07-12-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 AM

328 posts, read 531,593 times
I moved from New England to CLT, but I was a renter. I can tell you broadly that it's a fantastic place to raise a family and the cost of living is substantially lower than the NE.

(2) Depending on what kind of neighborhood you're looking for, Concord is a great option. Strong public school system, lots of resources, close to CLT, family friendly, charming historic downtown. Tons of great neighborhoods and a lot of variability (i.e. suburban to rural).

That said, there are great areas of CLT (particularly, as you'll hear often, South Charlotte) that have a slightly less suburban vibe but are also very family friendly.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
I moved from New England to CLT, but I was a renter. I can tell you broadly that it's a fantastic place to raise a family and the cost of living is substantially lower than the NE.

(2) Depending on what kind of neighborhood you're looking for, Concord is a great option. Strong public school system, lots of resources, close to CLT, family friendly, charming historic downtown. Tons of great neighborhoods and a lot of variability (i.e. suburban to rural).

That said, there are great areas of CLT (particularly, as you'll hear often, South Charlotte) that have a slightly less suburban vibe but are also very family friendly.
Thanks! Good to hear from someone who lived up here for sure.

What towns in South Charlotte do I look at? Matthews? Mint Hill?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM

328 posts, read 531,593 times
A friend of mine lives in Matthews and her neighborhood is pretty lovely (they also have three children). If you want to live in actual South Charlotte (rather than counties south of Charlotte), you could try Barclay Downs, Arboretum area, Blakeney, areas near the boarder of Pineville, etc.

Another thing to acknowledge (in my opinion) is to be wary of the idea that ONLY South Charlotte is safe/liveable. While it's true that South CLT has the largest number of safe, wealthy, and family-friendly neighborhoods, it does not mean there aren't similar options throughout the rest of the city. You might hear that about SCLT a lot, so keep an open mind. Just a suggestion!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,747,009 times
Look in city of Charlotte (includes Ballantyne) part of South Charlotte as well. It's all quite suburban. Matthews is nice. Mint Hill schools are not as good as South Charlotte and Matthews.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Look in city of Charlotte (includes Ballantyne) part of South Charlotte as well. It's all quite suburban. Matthews is nice. Mint Hill schools are not as good as South Charlotte and Matthews.

Thanks...You don't have zip codes do you? I can't find that town by name.

Also, forgot to ask..If someone were to build new, which builders are reputable and vice-versa?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,919,591 times
Charlotte is a large city and not easily traversed if you live and work on opposite ends. I would first narrow down your search by selecting which location is available for you to transfer to.

This is a link to a catholic school I hear most about. (there are others of course!) Saint Matthew Catholic School

Link to the state tax calculator to get a rough idea of how much, Tax Calculator

You also pay an annual car, pet and other items tax if you live in Mecklenburg.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
A friend of mine lives in Matthews and her neighborhood is pretty lovely (they also have three children). If you want to live in actual South Charlotte (rather than counties south of Charlotte), you could try Barclay Downs, Arboretum area, Blakeney, areas near the boarder of Pineville, etc.

Another thing to acknowledge (in my opinion) is to be wary of the idea that ONLY South Charlotte is safe/liveable. While it's true that South CLT has the largest number of safe, wealthy, and family-friendly neighborhoods, it does not mean there aren't similar options throughout the rest of the city. You might hear that about SCLT a lot, so keep an open mind. Just a suggestion!

I will keep this in mind..Good to cast a wider net.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,919,591 times
Oh and the area around St Matthews is the SE Charlotte area that another poster mentioned. Looking at a map of the school. Ballantyne is just west of the school. Blakeney is just South of the school. Arboretum is just Northeast of the school.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM

3,415 posts, read 3,222,777 times
Don't rule out Cabarrus county either. We are transplants from NoVa and moved down with no kids and now have two (4 & 5). The schools that our area is zoned for are highly rated. We really enjoy living in this area. Our neighborhood is very family friendly and quite a few transplants as well. Our son starts K in August. We sent (send in my daughter's case) them to a great preschool and my daughter will have a STEM lab when she moves up for Pre K in August. I work 100% from home (my company is based in NoVa) as well.

There is also a Catholic school nearby in Huntersville. It's called St.Marks. They are now building a Catholic high school called Christ the King about 15 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or