U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 PM

29 posts, read 46,874 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
My wife and I are in the planning a relocation to Charlotte sometime in the next year. We are from Jersey, relocating for obvious reasons(nicer weather, people, property taxes, etc.) My brother n law and his family moved down to Wesley Chapel 2 years ago and love it. My wife has to land a job before we move which it the hold up. I am a self employed recruiter who can work from anywhere. Being that she is just getting her resume together now, our relocation is certainly not imminent. That is why I said sometime in the next year.

We are coming down next weekend for a long weekend and staying with my brother n law in Wesley Chapel. We have already seen much of Waxhaw, Union County and uptown Charlotte in our previous visits. Any suggestions for day visits we can go? I heard nice things about Lake Norman, Noda and South Park.

Another question. People come down to Union County and buy nice large houses in Waxhaw, Marvin, Weddington, etc. for the nice schools. It is just my wife and I, we don't have any kids and we are a bit older so it will probably just be the 2 of us in the long term. We live in a tree lined suburb right outside of New York City, so we like suburbs, but we also like the offerings of a city. Should we check out some areas inside of the 485 loop that might appeal to folks with or without kids, who like going out and doing stuff - nice restaurants, specialty gyms - I kickbox and my wife spins. Another concern will be once my wife gets her job I don't want her to have a killer commute. Thus another reason to live in Mecklenburg County or closer to it. We would like a nice house, but we don't need 5BR/3BA and 3300sq feet. More like 4BD/2.5BA 2500 sq feet - something nice for the 2 of us and a few extra rooms for when our families come and visit.

Sorry this was long and drawn out. Any input on either of my questions would certainly help us out.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 01:47 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darook View Post
Hey All,
My wife and I are in the planning a relocation to Charlotte sometime in the next year. We are from Jersey, relocating for obvious reasons(nicer weather, people, property taxes, etc.) My brother n law and his family moved down to Wesley Chapel 2 years ago and love it. My wife has to land a job before we move which it the hold up. I am a self employed recruiter who can work from anywhere. Being that she is just getting her resume together now, our relocation is certainly not imminent. That is why I said sometime in the next year.

We are coming down next weekend for a long weekend and staying with my brother n law in Wesley Chapel. We have already seen much of Waxhaw, Union County and uptown Charlotte in our previous visits. Any suggestions for day visits we can go? I heard nice things about Lake Norman, Noda and South Park.

Another question. People come down to Union County and buy nice large houses in Waxhaw, Marvin, Weddington, etc. for the nice schools. It is just my wife and I, we don't have any kids and we are a bit older so it will probably just be the 2 of us in the long term. We live in a tree lined suburb right outside of New York City, so we like suburbs, but we also like the offerings of a city. Should we check out some areas inside of the 485 loop that might appeal to folks with or without kids, who like going out and doing stuff - nice restaurants, specialty gyms - I kickbox and my wife spins. Another concern will be once my wife gets her job I don't want her to have a killer commute. Thus another reason to live in Mecklenburg County or closer to it. We would like a nice house, but we don't need 5BR/3BA and 3300sq feet. More like 4BD/2.5BA 2500 sq feet - something nice for the 2 of us and a few extra rooms for when our families come and visit.

Sorry this was long and drawn out. Any input on either of my questions would certainly help us out.

Thanks.
There are good schools scattered around the area. It just depends on where the job is, where you should focus, if you are looking for those areas from a resale standpoint.

You might enjoy a visit to Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens while you are here visiting. It's in Belmont which is west of Charlotte.

Will you be needing access to the airport? If so, please understand that it is located on the west side of Charlotte.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM

686 posts, read 1,415,365 times
What is your budget? You might want to take a look at Dilworth.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM

58 posts, read 182,170 times
It sounds to me like you all would enjoy the Ballentyne/Blakeney areas. Tega Cay, SC and Cornelius would be other options as well

Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 AM

186 posts, read 215,843 times
Weddington in Union County is a New Jersey reunion. You are correct that the suburbs that appeal to families with children might be less comfortable for those who make a home with adults only.
If you have been to Charlotte proper you know that this is a forest with houses in it, rather than a city like NYC. Thus many older in-town neighborhoods would be much like older suburban neighborhoods in the NE. Your budget will determine some choices, as always.
I agree with the comments posted above. Elizabeth, Dilworth, Midwood, among others, have a charm and beauty unlike other neighborhoods which are newer. Also if you want walkability you can research neighborhoods by Walk Score (walkscore.com)

Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,900 times
Dilworth, Myers Park & SouthPark spring to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte