U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM

140 posts, read 201,210 times

Advertisements

School rankings are not perfect indicators. Just because a school is at the top of some list doesn't mean that your kid will do well. Conversely, a child can struggle at a highly ranked school. A student's family life plays more of a role than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 AM

314 posts, read 581,945 times
I think it is really difficult to choose an area before you have had a chance to visit. I think once you do that and get a feel for the areas you are asking about and an understanding of how far or close things are, etc...only then will you know what is going to work for you. These forums are great and full of helpful information but there are many different opinions and so what is great to some may not be so much for others.

Also, what you think you want may change as you get further along in your search. For example, when I first started my search here I thought for sure I wanted to live in or very near Birkdale Village (Huntersville). But I ended up in the NW section of Concord and I love it here so much more than I would have thought and probably than what people would have suggested back then (people thought I lived far out and we couldn't even get pizza delivered at the time!). This area gave me great and easy access to shopping (close to Concord Mills and Afton Ridge has my Super Target!) and I love the schools my kids go to. But perhaps on paper and what people had to say back then, I'd have crossed it off my list.

Sorry to ramble but as someone who has relocated and worked with people doing the same I just had to respond. I do think it is smart to do as much research as you can before you get here and as you are doing but...
In a nutshell, what I am trying to say is, it can be confusing until you see it all for yourself

Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 AM

2,300 posts, read 4,029,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
I think it is really difficult to choose an area before you have had a chance to visit. I think once you do that and get a feel for the areas you are asking about and an understanding of how far or close things are, etc...only then will you know what is going to work for you. These forums are great and full of helpful information but there are many different opinions and so what is great to some may not be so much for others.

Also, what you think you want may change as you get further along in your search. For example, when I first started my search here I thought for sure I wanted to live in or very near Birkdale Village (Huntersville). But I ended up in the NW section of Concord and I love it here so much more than I would have thought and probably than what people would have suggested back then (people thought I lived far out and we couldn't even get pizza delivered at the time!). This area gave me great and easy access to shopping (close to Concord Mills and Afton Ridge has my Super Target!) and I love the schools my kids go to. But perhaps on paper and what people had to say back then, I'd have crossed it off my list.

Sorry to ramble but as someone who has relocated and worked with people doing the same I just had to respond. I do think it is smart to do as much research as you can before you get here and as you are doing but...
In a nutshell, what I am trying to say is, it can be confusing until you see it all for yourself
Thanks for advice. I completely agree. Having looked at dfw and visited several times while considering it, info I got here and what the reality on the ground was for me personably was very different. Especially when it comes to commutes and distances.

We will be trying to get down there sometime in the bear future to visit the area.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM

11,710 posts, read 9,319,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Thanks for advice. I completely agree. Having looked at dfw and visited several times while considering it, info I got here and what the reality on the ground was for me personably was very different. Especially when it comes to commutes and distances.

We will be trying to get down there sometime in the bear future to visit the area.
This is very true...

Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM

533 posts, read 762,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post

X2. Great advice. Especially down here.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 PM

149 posts, read 146,659 times
I live pretty far south in Charlotte and I half curse my friends that moved to Union every time I drive out there. It feels so far to me! They feel it was worth it though, and their house is big.

If your job does land you in the Fairview Road area, then you'll be pretty close to some of the most desirable neighborhood CMS schools though, as well as several popular magnet options. I definitely would not rule out living in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or