Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times

Advertisements

Is Union County considered too far out from Charlotte? Towns like Indian Trail, Weddington, Wesley Chapel, Waxhaw. And are the schools on par with towns like Matthews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I personally like the Weddington and Marvin schools better than Matthews. I lived in Weddington and drove into Charlotte all the time. But Charlotte is huge, what parts are you referring to?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times
Depends on your definition. Some will say yes, some will say no. I live in Waxhaw and commute to uptown daily. I live in Unincorp Union last year and it was a long commute but I didn't mind it. Schools in Weddington, Waxhaw and Marvin out-rank Matthews schools IMO.

I liked the hustle and bustle of the city for work, but really enjoyed driving into the country to go home. It was my unwinding time. From my last house, it was 9 miles to anything other than 1 gas station. I'm now a little closer into town and like the conveniences but it's all perspective.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
The schools are definitely better. But, as I've said in other posts (and caught hell for it), I find those far-flung towns too far out. Having spent the first part of this summer attending swim meets in all of those towns, I find it distasteful to waste so much gas to get out there. I also saw many instances of large, newish neighbrohoods surrounded by trailers and run-down shacks. My friends and I also chuckle over the idea that if you had some drama in your neighborhood, or if the neighbors don't like you (or vice versa), you may as well move. They're like little outposts dotted all over the county and I fear I would feel isolated in them. Of course, if you don't need to get to Charlotte, gas isn't a problem. I just feel more confortable closer in, I guess.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I personally like the Weddington and Marvin schools better than Matthews. I lived in Weddington and drove into Charlotte all the time. But Charlotte is huge, what parts are you referring to?
It would most likely be the southern portion of the city by Fairview Rd area, but thats not finalized yet.

I was just trying to target towns on the southern points of the city if work in fact ended up in the southern flank of Charlotte.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Depends on your definition. Some will say yes, some will say no. I live in Waxhaw and commute to uptown daily. I live in Unincorp Union last year and it was a long commute but I didn't mind it. Schools in Weddington, Waxhaw and Marvin out-rank Matthews schools IMO.

I liked the hustle and bustle of the city for work, but really enjoyed driving into the country to go home. It was my unwinding time. From my last house, it was 9 miles to anything other than 1 gas station. I'm now a little closer into town and like the conveniences but it's all perspective.

How long is your commute? Waxhaw is about the farthest out no?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
I have known bunches of people who lived in those areas, as I did myself. The draws are 1) easy access to CLT, 2) pleasant, mostly quiet neighborhoods and 3) lower taxes than in Charlotte.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
How long is your commute? Waxhaw is about the farthest out no?

I live near the Harris Teeter on Providence and Kensington now. I was WAYYY out by Furniture Factory outlet. I commute an hour each way now, which was 1.5 hrs each way.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM

10 posts, read 16,165 times
I am from Saint Louis, moved to Alabama end of 2010, that was waaaaay too far from civilization. Then moved to Mount Holly, borders Charlotte on the east side, last year and it's definitely close enough to Charlotte for doctors and entertainment and shopping. BUT, I am in the process of moving out to Waxhaw next month. I have gone out there repeatedly to check out the town and surounding areas and schools. The schools look great. The town is the most adorable I've seen around. I've looked into lots of these surrounding little towns, and many of them are not much more than suburbs, which is not my taste, and many of them are little towns that no one ever appears to actually go to. Waxhaw seems to have an active little town. There are always people there walking around, and every weekend the town itself hosts family friendly events throughout the summer. During the year they host an event once a month. Also, one of my biggest draws is that in the tiny little town there is a pottery studio, a glass blowing studio, a studio that makes metal art, a kids' art studio, a yarn shop and a bead shop. I like crafty and artsy people and it seems like I will find that there. Also, it looks like people actually hang out downtown in the evenings, should I want to get away from my family for a while. Mount Holly is dead past about 7pm. I'm a mom of five, so I want a town that is safe, good schools, kids can ride their bikes, lots of family activities, but also a place to unwind as an adult. Waxhaw seems to have all of that plus some. I certainly hope I'm right, because this is my very first house purchase, and I won't be moving for a long while.
Just as a note, I did not choose a brand new house in a brand new neighborhood. I wanted to be close to the little town and I wanted more than .23 acre for a yard, so my house is just a mile from the center of town and is older.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caritasrainbow View Post
I am from Saint Louis, moved to Alabama end of 2010, that was waaaaay too far from civilization. Then moved to Mount Holly, borders Charlotte on the east side, last year and it's definitely close enough to Charlotte for doctors and entertainment and shopping. BUT, I am in the process of moving out to Waxhaw next month. I have gone out there repeatedly to check out the town and surounding areas and schools. The schools look great. The town is the most adorable I've seen around. I've looked into lots of these surrounding little towns, and many of them are not much more than suburbs, which is not my taste, and many of them are little towns that no one ever appears to actually go to. Waxhaw seems to have an active little town. There are always people there walking around, and every weekend the town itself hosts family friendly events throughout the summer. During the year they host an event once a month. Also, one of my biggest draws is that in the tiny little town there is a pottery studio, a glass blowing studio, a studio that makes metal art, a kids' art studio, a yarn shop and a bead shop. I like crafty and artsy people and it seems like I will find that there. Also, it looks like people actually hang out downtown in the evenings, should I want to get away from my family for a while. Mount Holly is dead past about 7pm. I'm a mom of five, so I want a town that is safe, good schools, kids can ride their bikes, lots of family activities, but also a place to unwind as an adult. Waxhaw seems to have all of that plus some. I certainly hope I'm right, because this is my very first house purchase, and I won't be moving for a long while.
Just as a note, I did not choose a brand new house in a brand new neighborhood. I wanted to be close to the little town and I wanted more than .23 acre for a yard, so my house is just a mile from the center of town and is older.
You're going to Waxhaw for artists?

There are artists, galleries, & studios all over the place from Mt. Holly & Belmont to Shelby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte