U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:44 AM

4 posts, read 4,842 times

Advertisements

My 84 year-old mother is visiting next month. We are new to Charlotte (just got here in November) and are looking for activities for her 6-day visit. She is active (altho not out-doorsy) and is interested in the arts and anything that makes a town unique. We've done a fair amount of exploring ourselves since our move but know there must be many personal-favorites that we've missed. We're planning on taking her to the Uptown museums but are a loss as to what to do beyond that. What are some of your favorite Charlotte locations and activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,866,161 times
Latta Plantation is pretty nice with a house tour and not far from the parking lot. Driving to outlying towns like Hickory. Or even Asheville if she doesn't mind a total 3ish hour car ride. Biltmore in Asheville is a must do, I adore going there. Waxhaw for more local too. Daniel Stowe Botanical gardens if she likes gardening.

Last edited by momtothree; 07-19-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 07:22 AM

173 posts, read 244,288 times
What about the Whitewater Center? Maybe rock climbing too. I recently went to this indoor rock climbing facility. Inner Peaks Climbing Center

Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
What about the Whitewater Center? Maybe rock climbing too. I recently went to this indoor rock climbing facility. Inner Peaks Climbing Center
If the OP takes the 84 year old mother there, I would like a picture please.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If the OP takes the 84 year old mother there, I would like a picture please.

Would you settle for a picture of 87 year old Anne Springs Close (Fort Mill, SC) climbing Mount Washington in New Hampshire? (take note of the cane). The woman is awesome!!

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...fe.Em.138.jpeg
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...NqC.Em.138.JPG

Anne Springs Close, 87, plans mountain ascent | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,643,746 times
If you do the museums uptown, be sure to include the Levine Museum of the New South. I always love taking visitors there.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte1949 View Post
My 84 year-old mother is visiting next month. We are new to Charlotte (just got here in November) and are looking for activities for her 6-day visit. She is active (altho not out-doorsy) and is interested in the arts and anything that makes a town unique. We've done a fair amount of exploring ourselves since our move but know there must be many personal-favorites that we've missed. We're planning on taking her to the Uptown museums but are a loss as to what to do beyond that. What are some of your favorite Charlotte locations and activities?
First of all Welcome to you!!

Secondly I highly recommend the magazine OUR STATE. It is a wealth of information when it comes to out of the way places to venture to.

North Carolina Travel, Food, and Culture | Our State Magazine

Skipping the places you and others have already mentioned here's a few other things that your Mom might enjoy.

Does she enjoy a little sip or two on occasion..if so check out the wine country in North Carolina. Shelton Vineyards is located right off Hwy77.

Shelton Vineyards - Yadkin Valley Winery, Vineyard in NC, Shelton Winery NC
Shelton Vineyards
Take in some grapes and enjoy the day at the Shelton Vineyards. Located in Dobson, NC, Shelton Vineyards is the largest family owned vineyard in North Carolina. The beautifully landscaped vineyard offers tours, a picnicking area, and tasting bar. Concerts, festivals and other various events are held year-long. Shelton Vineyards provides us with a great way to taste the flavor of locally grown wines. They also have a Hampton Inn & Suites on the property for your convenience.

Or if she would like to try something a little different then head on over to the winery in Monroe, NC where they make wine from the grapes native to NC.

North Carolina winery, Treehouse Vineyards, Inc. Monroe, NC, Home

Lake Norman has a sightseeing cruise she might enjoy:

Queen's Landing - Catawba Lunch & Sightseeing

If she is into history cross over the border into South Carolina

Culture & Heritage Museums

Also in SC (Fort Mill) is a Christian Dinner Theater that is another option:

Home

Lastly if you'd like to take her to an area with some Good Eatin with Gold Mine history then check out the following:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-S...41976935861223

New Page 1

NC Historic Sites - Reed Gold Mine - The Site Today

Merchants | The Village of Gold Hill, NC

I hope that helps a little and all the places I have suggested I have kept your Mother in mind (but August can be brutal weather wise).

Good Luck to you and I hope you enjoy your time together!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Would you settle for a picture of 87 year old Anne Springs Close (Fort Mill, SC) climbing Mount Washington in New Hampshire? (take note of the cane). The woman is awesome!!

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...fe.Em.138.jpeg
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...NqC.Em.138.JPG

Anne Springs Close, 87, plans mountain ascent | CharlotteObserver.com
That is simply ALL kinds of awesome!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,746,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I just got back from Mt Washington, NH Monday. But we took the Cog Railway. Saw plenty of hikers tho. I can't imagine an 87 year old having hiked that. Awesome!

Was your mom a fan of old westerns? Many people of that age remember the big stars from that era. You can take her by Randolph Scott's childhood home at 1301 Dilworth Rd W. (corner house). I took my 88 year old pop by there recently. He loved it! One of those little Hollywood/Charlotte things.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,842 times
Thanks all - this is great info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or