Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,729,556 times

Advertisements

Appointed tonight by the Council to fill Mayor Kinsey's open District 1 seat, he owns The Morehead Inn and Van Landingham Estate. A democrat, nominated by Republican Warren Cooksey received 7 votes on the second ballot.

Mr. Maddalon will serve for four months and will not seek to be elected at the end of his term. Mayor Kinsey intends to run again for the D1 site. Maddalon hails from Plaza Midwood.

Quote:
“There’s a lot to be done,” he said. “The ship is on fire, is what I’ve been saying.”
Plaza Midwood’s Billy Maddalon selected for City Council seat | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
I look forward to the day that we won't care what their orientation are. Instead it would be a mere mention of their spouse's name. Soon I hope, soon. :-)

Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,729,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I look forward to the day that we won't care what their orientation are. Instead it would be a mere mention of their spouse's name. Soon I hope, soon. :-)
I was thinking about that last night. One day it will be like eye color and people will say "so". Or, we'll run out of things to be biased about and we'll use eye color as a prejudice.

Look at the political forum here and all the race baiting. I hope most of that is from a small minority but there's still a long way to go there too.

I think it's significant that a Republican didn't care about that and nominated him. I thought that was a good sign of progress and is one of the reasons I created the thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 AM

821 posts, read 1,844,178 times
This was a yawner story. Will the 3rd openly gay person get the same coverage or is the Observer going to stop with the second? I would love to know the Observer's honest - I say honest - reason for pointing out that the new Councilman is openly gay.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I was thinking about that last night. One day it will be like eye color and people will say "so". Or, we'll run out of things to be biased about and we'll use eye color as a prejudice.

Look at the political forum here and all the race baiting. I hope most of that is from a small minority but there's still a long way to go there too.

I think it's significant that a Republican didn't care about that and nominated him. I thought that was a good sign of progress and is one of the reasons I created the thread.
I should have clarified, I had zero problem with you starting this thread. I just wish it wasn't news anymore in general but it's very pleasing that he was chosen. And I stay far away from political forums unless it's geared specifically toward my platform. :-)

Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,156,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
This was a yawner story. Will the 3rd openly gay person get the same coverage or is the Observer going to stop with the second? I would love to know the Observer's honest - I say honest - reason for pointing out that the new Councilman is openly gay.
To raise awareness.

I didn't feel like "gay" was a central theme to the article though...

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Yes, to raise awareness that TALENT IS TALENT and qualifications should be all that matters. If a person is a good citizen, qualified for whatever position they seek, then their ethnicity, their sexual preferences, their religious beliefs (or non-beliefs) should not be part of the equation.

What needs to happen here in Charlotte -- and everywhere across this country, for that matter -- is people of GOOD WILL reaching out and saying . . . I acknowledge you as a human being with talent and gifts to bring to the table. I acknowledge you and want to stand beside you and work with you towards goals that benefit us all. I want to learn from you and share what I know with you. I want to do this with no concern for anything except who you are at your core. And I ask that you look at me the same way, through eyes without any judgment. Just human beings with gifts and knowledge we can share as we figure out how to improve life here on this planet.

I agree - one day, maybe the "surface" outward parts of our being/bodies won't matter. I like to call it "The Star Trek" phenomenon. No one cares what race another being is. Or even what species, lololol. All that matters is working together to reach goals.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,518,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

Isn't adding the qualifer "X number openly gay" to the thread title (or any annoucement) part of the problem? I see it mentioned in the CO article, but they didn't make it the headline, which IMO would make it part of the focus.

It's a pipe dream to think that people will ever run out of things to be biased against each other. The need to seperate ourselves into tribes is too ingrained into humans. If you don't believe me, just look around your work. Grown folks still seperate themselves into "cliques".

Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,312,703 times
Why is someone filling a council seat for only four months news?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Why is someone filling a council seat for only four months news?
probably because he is gay.

Is this on the front page of the Observer? Did they interupt TV shows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte