Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM

93 posts, read 184,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
FSU and Miami need to follow in Louisville's footsteps. Get an SEC coordinator for the HC job.. until then, I think we will continue to see them struggle vs the SEC and find ways to lose high profile games.
Jimbo Fisher...... LSU OC 2000-2006 (including '03 BCS champion team). Hired by FSU in 2007 as head coach. 3-0 in bowl games as HC @ FSU.

Longest consecutive bowl streak (30) and longest active bowl win streak (5).

Last edited by Spinzone; 07-25-2013 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Well I already said Vandy in my post. What I meant was SEC teams combined with their competitor from the ACC will sell out. If any school from the ACC can bring 10k-15k fans (Cuse, BC, Pitt, dook, Miami are the one's at the bottom of the traveling fan bases in the ACC), all the other SEC teams should be able to get 55k-60k fans. UK had 52k fans at their spring game, just because they were excited for their new coach. Fan base is there, they just need a winning season/hope to show up.

Texas A&M has one of the largest fan bases in the country http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...nt-chaos/?_r=0

Any school that can build a stadium that holds over 100k fans, will show up to any bowl game.

Arkansas and Missouri both have large fan bases as well.

I don't think we should expect 100% attendance every year, but 90% is a reasonable expectation, I think.
Lets keep it real and keep the SEC hype machine a bit in check, the Belk Bowl isn't a "real" bowl and Charlotte isn't a tourist destination city so nearby ACC schools and SEC schools would work the best.

Do you really think NC State, UNC, Va Tech, Clemson, etc would have less fans than Missouri, Arkansas, etc at the Belk Bowl??? Sure, the SEC is full of state flagship schools so they inherently have a larger fanbase however the Belk Bowl will probably use the same model as the Music City Bowl in Nashville...nearby SEC and ACC schools with the largest fanbase.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
They "should" but they haven't and in game coaching has been pretty bad in big games.

Louisville had 30+ players from the Miami area on their team last year. Strong had them ready to play Florida in the BCS game and you could tell they weren't intimidated. FSU and Miami need to follow in Louisville's footsteps. Get an SEC coordinator for the HC job.. until then, I think we will continue to see them struggle vs the SEC and find ways to lose high profile games.

There is no denying the talent the ACC has but they do a great job of screwing up EVERY year when they have a chance to put the ACC on the map in big games.

They (ACC) need good coaches who can actually recruit and coach not some lame coach relying on the success of a conference. Coach Saban originally came from Michigan State, Steve Spurrier from Duke. Georgia's coach Richt is from FSU, etc. Usually good coaches have proven head coaching experience and coordinators aren't the best gauge.

Jimbo Fisher (FSU coach) did come from LSU and if he doesn't win the big one soon, he's gonna get canned.

If you keep putting talent on the field like the ACC, sooner or later, they're going to win some big games. Over the last 5-6 years, the SEC has been really dominant and the ACC plays more games against the SEC than any other conference. However, you would think the ACC doesn't play the SEC ok considering how strong they SEC has been lately....which isn't true. No conference has played the SEC well lately....the Big Ten should just stop playing them altogether.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
They (ACC) need good coaches who can actually recruit and coach not some lame coach relying on the success of a conference. Coach Saban originally came from Michigan State, Steve Spurrier from Duke. Georgia's coach Richt is from FSU, etc. Usually good coaches have proven head coaching experience and coordinators aren't the best gauge.

Jimbo Fisher (FSU coach) did come from LSU and if he doesn't win the big one soon, he's gonna get canned.

If you keep putting talent on the field like the ACC, sooner or later, they're going to win some big games. Over the last 5-6 years, the SEC has been really dominant and the ACC plays more games against the SEC than any other conference. However, you would think the ACC doesn't play the SEC ok considering how strong they SEC has been lately....which isn't true. No conference has played the SEC well lately....the Big Ten should just stop playing them altogether.
Perception is reality.. until the ACC puts the smack down on a quality SEC school they will continue to look like a 2nd tier conference.

It's not about lame coaches coming from the SEC.. lol. It's about GOOD coaches coming from the SEC and turning teams like Louisville, FSU, Miami, Pitt, NC State, etc. into powerhouses that beat SEC schools in prime time.

Damn near every coach starts in a different conference but it's about where they create their legend. Besides Bowden, it's been a long time since a team in the ACC had a coach people feared and respected.

The SEC is smoke and mirrors though IMO. Outside of the top 3 or 4 schools they are pretty average.. but those top 4 schools usually dominate and bring it every week.

It's time for the ACC to make some noise.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 AM

239 posts, read 376,517 times
Quote:
Lets keep it real and keep the SEC hype machine a bit in check, the Belk Bowl isn't a "real" bowl and Charlotte isn't a tourist destination city so nearby ACC schools and SEC schools would work the best.

Do you really think NC State, UNC, Va Tech, Clemson, etc would have less fans than Missouri, Arkansas, etc at the Belk Bowl??? Sure, the SEC is full of state flagship schools so they inherently have a larger fanbase however the Belk Bowl will probably use the same model as the Music City Bowl in Nashville...nearby SEC and ACC schools with the largest fanbase.

I, honestly, dont even like the name BELK BOWL. It just doesnt bring much "ring" or "interest" to it, by name.
Music City Bowl, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, SugarBowl...those names are CATCHY.
I didnt even know of a BELK store until I moved here to Charlotte. People in California, NY , etc have no idea what/who Belk is.

I know they need a title sponsor, and if BELK is willing, I can definitely understand the need for the name. But I would definitely PREFER the Queen City Bowl, Carolina Bowl, or some other catchy name.
As long as its called the Belk Bowl, I dont think (based on the name of the bowl, alone) that it will draw as much interest as the others.
To me, the name BELK BOWL just seems a little AMATURE-ish to be, compared to the other big bowl names out there.

Example: You have a team like LSU coming to a bowl game: You tell them they are going to the Peach Bowl or the Sugar Bowl, then they know they are going to Atlanta or New Orleans, respectively. Tell them they are going to the BELK bowl,and they are gonna say "where the heck is that?".. lol

Its NAME BRANDING, and thats very important for these bowl games.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Perception is reality.. until the ACC puts the smack down on a quality SEC school they will continue to look like a 2nd tier conference.

It's not about lame coaches coming from the SEC.. lol. It's about GOOD coaches coming from the SEC and turning teams like Louisville, FSU, Miami, Pitt, NC State, etc. into powerhouses that beat SEC schools in prime time.

Damn near every coach starts in a different conference but it's about where they create their legend. Besides Bowden, it's been a long time since a team in the ACC had a coach people feared and respected.

The SEC is smoke and mirrors though IMO. Outside of the top 3 or 4 schools they are pretty average.. but those top 4 schools usually dominate and bring it every week.

It's time for the ACC to make some noise.
Well, Clemson did beat LSU (quality?)last year in a big bowl game but the SEC did win the head-to-head during the reguarly season rather decisively. I don't think the SEC is smoke and mirrors but as you stated, the difference is the top 2-3 teams year end and year out. Until the ACC powers resurface and perform like top 10 teams, it'll be that way. Why so much love for Louisville versus Va Tech or UNC?

I don't think the ACC particular needs coaches from the SEC, just good coaches because there are many a coordinator from the SEC that haven't been successful at the head coach level.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
I, honestly, dont even like the name BELK BOWL. It just doesnt bring much "ring" or "interest" to it, by name.
Music City Bowl, Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, SugarBowl...those names are CATCHY.
I didnt even know of a BELK store until I moved here to Charlotte. People in California, NY , etc have no idea what/who Belk is.

I know they need a title sponsor, and if BELK is willing, I can definitely understand the need for the name. But I would definitely PREFER the Queen City Bowl, Carolina Bowl, or some other catchy name.
As long as its called the Belk Bowl, I dont think (based on the name of the bowl, alone) that it will draw as much interest as the others.
To me, the name BELK BOWL just seems a little AMATURE-ish to be, compared to the other big bowl names out there.

Example: You have a team like LSU coming to a bowl game: You tell them they are going to the Peach Bowl or the Sugar Bowl, then they know they are going to Atlanta or New Orleans, respectively. Tell them they are going to the BELK bowl,and they are gonna say "where the heck is that?".. lol

Its NAME BRANDING, and thats very important for these bowl games.
I agree. At minimum, it should be called the Belk Queen City Bowl or Belk Carolinas Bowl.....don't forget it used to be the Mieneke Car Care Bowl....in terms of branding, it seems a lateral move at best.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Well, Clemson did beat LSU (quality?)last year in a big bowl game but the SEC did win the head-to-head during the reguarly season rather decisively. I don't think the SEC is smoke and mirrors but as you stated, the difference is the top 2-3 teams year end and year out. Until the ACC powers resurface and perform like top 10 teams, it'll be that way. Why so much love for Louisville versus Va Tech or UNC?

I don't think the ACC particular needs coaches from the SEC, just good coaches because there are many a coordinator from the SEC that haven't been successful at the head coach level.
I'm a PITT fan so it's not like I'm in love with Louisville... I actually hate them but they gained my respect last year though due to the way they beat down the Gators.

When they put up the rosters and showed Louisville with 31 players from Florida it all made sense. They got a coach who has ties to one of the best states for football and applied a formula that looks successful.

Why not UNC, VTech or NC State? Probably because they have a habit of stinking up the joint in big games. NC State frustrated me when they let Russell Wilson go.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I'm a PITT fan so it's not like I'm in love with Louisville... I actually hate them but they gained my respect last year though due to the way they beat down the Gators.

When they put up the rosters and showed Louisville with 31 players from Florida it all made sense. They got a coach who has ties to one of the best states for football and applied a formula that looks successful.

Why not UNC, VTech or NC State? Probably because they have a habit of stinking up the joint in big games. NC State frustrated me when they let Russell Wilson go.
Do you mean Va Tech? Neither UNC or NC State has played in a big game. In UNC's last two "big" games they beat Tennessee and almost beat LSU with a depleted roster due to the on campus scandal. I can't remember the last time NC State was in a big game.

I think Charlie Strong is doing a great job but they've a ways to go to get the name brand or cache of FSU or Miami.

Man, Pitt use to be the team back in the 70s/early 80s...Dorsett, Marino...maybe it's time for a return to prominence? If you really think about it, the new ACC could really be formidable power in CFB....note the word "could". Teams with lots of history, great recruiting footprint and largest TV market. Of course the huge disadvantage is the large number of private schools so the fanbase for some teams is relatively small.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 PM

489 posts, read 910,662 times
Quote:

Do you really think NC State, UNC, Va Tech, Clemson, etc would have less fans than Missouri, Arkansas, etc at the Belk Bowl???
Where are you getting that I said this? I said SEC schools are capable of those numbers, and named the schools from the ACC that have poor traveling fan bases, then you proceed to name every school except the one's I listed...

Re-read the thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte