Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 PM

489 posts, read 911,465 times

Advertisements

Belk Bowl set to become ACC vs. SEC | CharlotteObserver.com

Definitely better for Charlotte economically and putting Charlotte on the college football map. ACC championship game, future UNC vs USCe matchup, now this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM

239 posts, read 376,861 times
Im soooo excited! So excited!!! at BEST we might have Tennessee or Mississippi St, or maybe even an LSU if they have a down year.. lol.
Having a team like Tennessee in town would be AMAZING!! Do you see how Tennessee can pack up the Ga Dome??

ALL SEC fans travel pretty well, so it would really interesting. I just hope they dont have to face playing Duke or Ga Tech or anything, because it would have the same effect as it did on the ACC Championship. If they arent playing a formidable opponent, it doesnt draw the same numbers.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
If you want a crowd... SEC is it.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
I think that this may be a blessing in disguise for the ACC as this can help improve the overall quality of play and going up against the best league in college football can only help ACC football get better!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I think that this may be a blessing in disguise for the ACC as this can help improve the overall quality of play and going up against the best league in college football can only help ACC football get better!
The only blessing is ticket sales... I doubt this improves recruiting or ACC play. I think adding Louisville will raise the play in the ACC...

Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Maybe a little overtime. It will most likely be the ACC #4-#5 against the SEC #7-#9 placed teams. Regardless, when a team plays an SEC team, people pay attention. You win them, people take notice.

ACC actually has won their fair share of out of conference games against all of the other power conferences. Image problem comes with an awful BCS bowl record, Clemson giving up 70 points to WVU, and VT not winning a big OOC game in years, but constantly scheduling them (even though they did get screwed against Michigan 2 seasons ago).

The importance of the game really is attendance. Every team except Vanderbilt in the SEC will sellout BoA stadium. Uptown business will be happy.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Maybe a little overtime. It will most likely be the ACC #4-#5 against the SEC #7-#9 placed teams. Regardless, when a team plays an SEC team, people pay attention. You win them, people take notice.

ACC actually has won their fair share of out of conference games against all of the other power conferences. Image problem comes with an awful BCS bowl record, Clemson giving up 70 points to WVU, and VT not winning a big OOC game in years, but constantly scheduling them (even though they did get screwed against Michigan 2 seasons ago).

The importance of the game really is attendance. Every team except Vanderbilt in the SEC will sellout BoA stadium. Uptown business will be happy.
I highly doubt Vandy, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas A&M or Kentucky will sellout BoA alone or many other SEC teams for that matter, however games against the likes of Va Tech, Ga Tech, UNC, NC State, Clemson, etc will sellout the stadium due to geography.

And you're right, perception becomes fact to many people. The ACC has been a competitive league but the division powers (Miami, Ga Tech, Clemson, FSU, Va Tech) haven't performed in the big games or on the national stage or BCS bowls. In addition, the ACC has lot of private schools that don't have a rabid or large fanbase where as the SEC is filled with flagship/public schools in each state, thus all the resources to pump a lot of money into football.

The ACC/Big East game wasn't a bad matchup in the Belk Bowl and has sold out on several occasions but from a geographical standpoint, an ACC/SEC game in Charlotte should do much better.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The only blessing is ticket sales... I doubt this improves recruiting or ACC play. I think adding Louisville will raise the play in the ACC...
Nothing against Louisville and a great addition, but the likes of Miami, FSU and Clemson should lead the way in ACC football. Any conference would drool over having two Florida-based football schools in in their conference. ACC recruiting has already improved significantly and only the SEC has produced more NFL pros the last 10 years. The ACC's problem has been poor coaching and if you follow the 2013 and 2014 recruiting trends, the new coaches are hitting the trail hard. The ACC schools are in arguably the greatest recruiting footprint in the US.

Given all the talent in VA, I think UVA might surprise some people soon as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Nothing against Louisville and a great addition, but the likes of Miami, FSU and Clemson should lead the way in ACC football. Any conference would drool over having two Florida-based football schools in in their conference. ACC recruiting has already improved significantly and only the SEC has produced more NFL pros the last 10 years. The ACC's problem has been poor coaching and if you follow the 2013 and 2014 recruiting trends, the new coaches are hitting the trail hard. The ACC schools are in arguably the greatest recruiting footprint in the US.

Given all the talent in VA, I think UVA might surprise some people soon as well.
They "should" but they haven't and in game coaching has been pretty bad in big games.

Louisville had 30+ players from the Miami area on their team last year. Strong had them ready to play Florida in the BCS game and you could tell they weren't intimidated. FSU and Miami need to follow in Louisville's footsteps. Get an SEC coordinator for the HC job.. until then, I think we will continue to see them struggle vs the SEC and find ways to lose high profile games.

There is no denying the talent the ACC has but they do a great job of screwing up EVERY year when they have a chance to put the ACC on the map in big games.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 07-25-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I highly doubt Vandy, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas A&M or Kentucky will sellout BoA alone or many other SEC teams for that matter, however games against the likes of Va Tech, Ga Tech, UNC, NC State, Clemson, etc will sellout the stadium due to geography.

And you're right, perception becomes fact to many people. The ACC has been a competitive league but the division powers (Miami, Ga Tech, Clemson, FSU, Va Tech) haven't performed in the big games or on the national stage or BCS bowls. In addition, the ACC has lot of private schools that don't have a rabid or large fanbase where as the SEC is filled with flagship/public schools in each state, thus all the resources to pump a lot of money into football.

The ACC/Big East game wasn't a bad matchup in the Belk Bowl and has sold out on several occasions but from a geographical standpoint, an ACC/SEC game in Charlotte should do much better.

Well I already said Vandy in my post. What I meant was SEC teams combined with their competitor from the ACC will sell out. If any school from the ACC can bring 10k-15k fans (Cuse, BC, Pitt, dook, Miami are the one's at the bottom of the traveling fan bases in the ACC), all the other SEC teams should be able to get 55k-60k fans. UK had 52k fans at their spring game, just because they were excited for their new coach. Fan base is there, they just need a winning season/hope to show up.

Texas A&M has one of the largest fan bases in the country http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...nt-chaos/?_r=0

Any school that can build a stadium that holds over 100k fans, will show up to any bowl game.

Arkansas and Missouri both have large fan bases as well.

I don't think we should expect 100% attendance every year, but 90% is a reasonable expectation, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte