Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:59 AM

279 posts, read 444,798 times

Advertisements

If the world was completely fair, we'd all have a whole lot less. i.e. First World Problem

Hopefully this isn't the most important thing in the kid's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,116,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
...Between clothes and football and other sports, most parents find NO TIME AT ALL to care about missing homework, failed assessments, and the general sorry state of their child's efforts at school.

Very sad. We are going full speed down the slippery slope. And most do not realize it.
Fully agree, way too many parents pay more attention to kids "athletic" performance while ignoring the main reason their kids are in school...education and choosing a career.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times
No need to turn this into an argument about sports vs. academics IMO. The OP never said this was the most important thing in the kid's life or that they paid more attention to sports than academics. And seeing as how the child wasn't even on the team last year and OP really only mentioned "summer ball," I'm willing to bet that's not the case.

The only comment that can maybe be construed that way is the comment about OP being glad their kids went to private school, but I highly doubt sports were the only reason for going to private school...

Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,796,410 times
And it won't even hurt the kid's chances of going to college on a scholarship either - if he joins and performs well on a local club team, then it'll speak more about his ability than on a HS team. I know a lot of college coaches who would rather have their finger nails ripped-off than try and assess talent on the high school level.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
I have no earthly idea if this is the case for AK but I have seen at some schools that the coach is often just a volunteer/teacher that gets paid a tad extra for their "service" but that they aren't necessarily a true coach in that sport. A coach would albeit grudgingly at times (lol) pick talent and skill as it will garner a win or at least a good game. A crappy team is a bad reflection on the coach and no coach would want that on them.

And a true coach doesn't necessarily have to be an expert/certified etc but be well versed in plays, how to maximize skills and well... coach!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,344,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
And it won't even hurt the kid's chances of going to college on a scholarship either - if he joins and performs well on a local club team, then it'll speak more about his ability than on a HS team. I know a lot of college coaches who would rather have their finger nails ripped-off than try and assess talent on the high school level.
This! I was told club play is more instrumental in scholarship opportunities than school play.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM

841 posts, read 1,424,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
No coach "in their right mind"

Well... Plenty of coaches aren't in their right mind. We hear about it all the time in sports... Player was cut from HS. Benched by new coach. Was told they were too short, fat, skinny, slow, etc...

...and we also see athletes who were first team everything from birth who can't make it at the higher level because they didn't have the drive or heart or flamed out under the expectations.

Coaches make mistakes and miss talent all the time.

What you refer to are mistakes in judgement. I was referring to the OP's assertion that a coach was intentionally cutting better players. Not the same thing.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,919,422 times
Could also be a case if the parent thinking their kid is better than they are. Sometimes kids work hard, parents see this , and tend to think they can perform on the field better than the independent observer believes.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
What you refer to are mistakes in judgement. I was referring to the OP's assertion that a coach was intentionally cutting better players. Not the same thing.
If the coach is picking her friends kids then she may be intentionally cutting better players. For some reason people think this doesn't happen because all coaches want to win but it's HS sports and it happens more than we think.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 AM

841 posts, read 1,424,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If the coach is picking her friends kids then she may be intentionally cutting better players. For some reason people think this doesn't happen because all coaches want to win but it's HS sports and it happens more than we think.
I spent over 20 years in high school athletics and I never saw a really good player cut just so a coach could play politics. Ever.

If a coach wanted to play politics (like keeping the principal's kid or such) at the very least he or she would cut a less than stellar kid that he or she would have kept otherwise. The OP asserts that the kid cut here was far and above everyone else and still got cut. No coach would do that on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte