U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 10:34 PM

447 posts, read 1,289,035 times

Advertisements

OK, I have a dumb question but it is killing me, and I don't want to offend any one. I just move to Charlotte from FL (of course), and my New Yorker cousin is teasing me about eating chicken and waffle. She says that is very common in the South and blah blah blah. So, my question is, is that a real meal? If so, where can I get one of those and is the chicken fried? is there any topping in the waffle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 PM

126 posts, read 411,228 times
Here's a link on the subject -

Chicken and waffles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 PM

35,482 posts, read 43,312,302 times
Default Your New Yorker cousin has it sooooo right

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
OK, I have a dumb question but it is killing me, and I don't want to offend any one. I just move to Charlotte from FL (of course), and my New Yorker cousin is teasing me about eating chicken and waffle. She says that is very common in the South and blah blah blah. So, my question is, is that a real meal? If so, where can I get one of those and is the chicken fried? is there any topping in the waffle?
Yeah, chicken and waffles - yum yum good. We have eaten that for decades here in the South. Fried chicken on top of a nice, crispy Belgian waffle, smothered in grits with fatback and chittlins' on the side.

It is a tradition to pack chicken and waffles when we go Snipe Hunting. Since Snipe Season is so short, we all look forward to the few days a year we can enjoy chicken and waffles.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 PM

126 posts, read 411,228 times
The funny thing is, according to Wikipedia, they started out in California and up North. The first chain to serve them in the Southeast only opened in 1997.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:08 PM

44,880 posts, read 56,368,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
I think someone is definitely pulling your leg my friend! I have never heard of such a thing anywhere in the south!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think someone is definitely pulling your leg my friend! I have never heard of such a thing anywhere in the south!
I did a quick search, and like a previous post read, it is not a Southern thing. Whatever, I don't care. I will try it if I can find a place that serves it in Charlotte. But I will make sure to tell her that it was started in the North. And for the record, I am not trying to start a NY/NJ versus South war of words.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 PM

35,482 posts, read 43,312,302 times
Default It's a New York thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhen View Post
The funny thing is, according to Wikipedia, they started out in California and up North. The first chain to serve them in the Southeast only opened in 1997.
I read the Wiki article, too, and thought the same thing! Not a Southern thing particularly, but does appear that in the Harlem area of NYC, this is an actual dish (but w/ gravy, not fried chicken atop a waffle!)

Seems OP's NY cousin should hop on over to Harlem and try them out for himself - cause I think he will be more likely to find chicken and waffles in HIS state than here in NC.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 PM

22,016 posts, read 39,697,317 times
the waffle thing is what was throwing me off due to that isnt a tradiitonal item for the south. It is either hush puppies, biscuits, or cornbread as the bread item or even pancakes. But of course I learn about Cracklings the other day but that isnt a North Carolina item either it either pork rinds or real pork skins.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
the waffle thing is what was throwing me off due to that isnt a tradiitonal item for the south. It is either hush puppies, biscuits, or cornbread as the bread item or even pancakes. But of course I learn about Cracklings the other day but that isnt a North Carolina item either it either pork rinds or real pork skins.
What are Crackligns? sounds like something with broken bones....crack crack

Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 PM

505 posts, read 1,645,212 times
Yeah, I have lived in NC my entire life. Never heard of Chicken and Waffles!

But when I watched the move duce bigalow, European Gigolo, they mentioned chicken and waffles in the movie. Ever since, I have been wondering what that was. Guess we all know now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte