U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:07 PM

37 posts, read 56,117 times

Advertisements

Played Highland Creek today and it is in the worst shape I've ever seen. What is going on with the coursed? It was evident it hasn't been attended to for some time. I believe it's managed by the same group who manages Birkdale GC, so are all the North Carolina Trail courses in the same shape. I've scratch Highland Creek off the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:03 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,292,840 times
Whan you asked the HC staff about this what did they say?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,265,111 times
This company has ruined 3 great courses here in Charlotte. I never liked highland creeks layout, but when I moved here in 01 it was always kept in great shape. Since then the bought birkdale, and skybrook. Birkdale always had Lot of pressure, but even so it was well kept. Skybrook was the jewel of daily fee golf in Charlotte back then. Now all three are goat tracks. I played highland creek 2 years ago, and was so appalled I've haven't been to a Carolina trail course since

Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
This company has ruined 3 great courses here in Charlotte. I never liked highland creeks layout, but when I moved here in 01 it was always kept in great shape. Since then the bought birkdale, and skybrook. Birkdale always had Lot of pressure, but even so it was well kept. Skybrook was the jewel of daily fee golf in Charlotte back then. Now all three are goat tracks. I played highland creek 2 years ago, and was so appalled I've haven't been to a Carolina trail course since
I was going to describe it as a 'dog' track, but 'goat' works just as well.
The latest deal at The Carolina Trail courses is "6 Rounds for $99" but despite the obviously great price ($16.50/round), it's difficult to pay any money for a round at Highland Creek, when there are places like Verdict Ridge GC around.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,915,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I was going to describe it as a 'dog' track, but 'goat' works just as well.
The latest deal at The Carolina Trail courses is "6 Rounds for $99" but despite the obviously great price ($16.50/round), it's difficult to pay any money for a round at Highland Creek, when there are places like Verdict Ridge GC around.

I came back to this thread because of this latest offer that I received also. It actually makes me concerned about the financial future of the Carolina Trail golf courses. The owner of all 7 courses has a well documented history of not paying employees and other creditors. The recent closure of Birkdale (for 2 days?) was due to nonpayment of federal taxes. I have spoken to employees of Birkdale and 2 other golf courses that complained about not getting paid, having paychecks bounce, or getting paid very late. The news stories about that closure documented nonpayment of local property taxes and equipment lessors. Last year garbage collection was halted for a while due to nonpayment. Every time the owner is called on a nonpayment issue he claims some kind of misunderstanding - the classic "the check is in the mail" response.

My concern is that funds perhaps are being siphoned off for other purposes. Offering a "too good to be true" offer, $99 for 6 rounds of golf, sounds like a last ditch effort to raise cash. As soon as you buy this card for $99 you become an unsecured creditor of the Carolina Trail and you will be at the end of a long line of unsecured creditors if the organization goes into bankruptcy. I have no inside information - just what I read in the papers, but I would say, "Buyer Beware!"

Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 16,426 times
This should answer your question.

Skybrook Golf Club, Charlotte Golf Links owe millions, placed in receivership | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,915,851 times
Thanks for that link. So they are selling rounds of golf when they already know 2 of the courses are going into receivership and the cards may not be honored at those courses. That is at best immoral and unethical. (It is possible the rounds of golf will continue to be honored - I don't know, but I would certainly be worried about it. And I already have one of the cards that gives me 1 round of golf at each of the 7 courses. I think I used the Skybrook round, but not sure about the CLT links)

Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 AM

510 posts, read 1,841,224 times
I have an alternative golf course, Sunset Hills Public Golf Course. You can't compare it the Carolina Trail Courses, but it's cheap and really not that bad. I have to admit, my son works there, he maintains the greens, etc....whatever else they throw at him. He takes great pride in his work and spends the day there golfing after he's put in his hours. I'm pretty sure they have an 18 hole course and a 9 hole course. The 18 is in better shape. It's not that far and it's not associated with the Carolina Trail Courses.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,265,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
I have an alternative golf course, Sunset Hills Public Golf Course. You can't compare it the Carolina Trail Courses, but it's cheap and really not that bad. I have to admit, my son works there, he maintains the greens, etc....whatever else they throw at him. He takes great pride in his work and spends the day there golfing after he's put in his hours. I'm pretty sure they have an 18 hole course and a 9 hole course. The 18 is in better shape. It's not that far and it's not associated with the Carolina Trail Courses.
I cut my teeth on sunset hills, but like the trail courses it's a goat track as well. It's close to the house, and it's in better shape than its ever been, but it will never have great fast greens. For the money verdict ridge is the best course in Charlotte area that u can pay to play

Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM

510 posts, read 1,841,224 times
I'll take that as a compliment, he's really worked hard there . Renaissance Park, Charles T. Myers, Sifford @ Revolution Park, and Sunset in that order are some other good courses. I didn't realize how many there are around here. Amazing. My husband use to golf, but after the 3rd back surgery, he couldn't anymore. So, I've not paid much attention to the courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I cut my teeth on sunset hills, but like the trail courses it's a goat track as well. It's close to the house, and it's in better shape than its ever been, but it will never have great fast greens. For the money verdict ridge is the best course in Charlotte area that u can pay to play
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or