Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 12,927 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while and now I have a question. My husband and I are considering moving to the Charlotte area. I've been researching all of the surrounding counties. I think we want to be about a 30-40 minute drive outside of Charlotte. We have 3 children, so good schools, low crime and a nice family-friendly town are priorities. Yes, we too are looking for that perfect little small town. Now here's the question, my husband does not want to pay more than $140,000 or so for a 4 bed/3 ba house. Is it realistic that we will be able to find a house in a nice area for that amount? I see houses listed for that much and less, but I wonder if they are in good neighborhoods? Also, is there any benefit to buying over the line in SC? Are taxes less?

Thanks,
Carole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 09:27 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Yes, taxes are less in SC. You can get a nice home in a nice, safe area in that price range, but it might be hard to find one with 4/3. A nice, older home would be an option. You might want to try Clover, SC. It's a nice, little town that's the distance you wanted from Charlotte. It's safe, and has very good schools (my niece and nephew are in that school district). There's a good chance they'd have the type of home you're looking for. Good luck!!!

Old 10-14-2006, 09:52 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Yes, taxes are less in SC. You can get a nice home in a nice, safe area in that price range, but it might be hard to find one with 4/3. A nice, older home would be an option. You might want to try Clover, SC. It's a nice, little town that's the distance you wanted from Charlotte. It's safe, and has very good schools (my niece and nephew are in that school district). There's a good chance they'd have the type of home you're looking for. Good luck!!!
Friend, you read my mind!! As soon as I read the posters question the first thing that popped in my head was Clover! I had a co worker who lived there and loved it. She had a cute little house she sold when she got married for about $120,000. She too loved the Clover schools

Old 10-14-2006, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 12,927 times
Thanks friend and lovesMountains, I'll check it out. I actually would love to have an older home. I think they have more character. Since we're not moving right away, I guess we have time to try and find a 4 bedroom in that range.

Carole

Old 10-14-2006, 11:58 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Cost of a typical four-bedroom, two-and-a-half bath, 2,200 square foot house with a two-car garage in a nice neighborhood, according to Coldwell Banker's Home Price Comparison Index. Based on average sales prices of listings for that kind of home sold in the 12 months ended July 31, 2006.

NC Wilmington $335,725
NC Charlotte $228,500
NC Raleigh $218,575
NC Winston-Salem $214,143
NC Fayetteville $200,000
NC Greensboro $195,905

Old 10-14-2006, 07:26 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Good minds think alike, lovesmountains (ha ha)!

Old 10-14-2006, 08:04 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,035 times
$140,000 for a 4/3 worth living in is hard to find anywhere.

If you can accept a 3/2 alot of doors open up, even at 140K.
Belmont of Gaston County (west of Charlotte) has very low crime, good schools, is well within 30 minutes of uptown, and while prices are rising out there you can still make out good. Look it up on realtor.com
Example: I drove by a nice brick front 3/2 in North Belmont today, its 1532 sq. ft. and listed at only 141K. Very nice established neighborhood, most homes were 10 years old or so, HOA most likely by the looks of it, but maybe not.

My town of Mt. Holly (just across the county line to the west of charlotte) is even more affordable, but it remains to be seen if the schools are as good (my wife homeschools my son), though crime is very low. $140K here will buy a newly built 3/2, or quite possibly an older 4 bedroom home. Its just that its a small town so theres no HUGE amount of homes on the market.

Anything North of Charlotte is going to be over 140K, and Union or Cabarrus county are going to be hard to find even a nice 3/2 in that range, so I would agree with some of the other posters that looking in SC is a good idea, but also look out in Gaston County to the west. People are discovering it slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte