U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:01 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,387,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Please let us know how you feel about chromecast and if that is a solution here locally. I am OTA and very interested in options . . . have Netflix and do a lot of my tv episode watching online.

I don't see why HBO is not letting the public buy direct subscriptions and then using their "go anywhere" or whatever it is called to view it on laptops/tablets.

I would have everything I wanted if I could get HBO and maybe SHOWTIME on a subscription basis as an OTA consumer. If chromecast works as I hope it will, that would make a very good situation for me, personally - I would have everything I wanted and be able to bypass TWC and/or AT&T, both of which I have had and felt I paid an outrageous amount for what I actually viewed (and for the customer service).

I don't get the point in the PICO thing . . . just doesn't seem to meet the needs of most folks. I am open to new technology but not sure that this would help me a bit.
HBO says they're 'thinking about it' but not quite yet. The cable and satellite providers would be up in arms if HBO allowed customers to bypass them and buy directly from HBO. The price of cable and satellite would certainly increase to make up for lost revenue.

Also, for all we know, HBO doesn't want to have to be in the direct-to-customer business. Right now, they have the cable and satellite companies handle all customer service and billing for them. They'd have to build an infrastructure to handle all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM

642 posts, read 989,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
At 35 lumens of brightness it will need to be used in a black hole to be visible. 60"+? I doubt a picture that large will be watchable. Picture quality will be nothing like a current flat panel. No speakers-listen to a smartphone? I would assume a very compromised TV experience.

I see this as a test of technology, but not yet a useful product.
You are right. This is a work in progress. However it does point the way. LED lighting is certainly the way of the future and they will only get bright, more versatile and cheaper.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,663,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
At 35 lumens of brightness it will need to be used in a black hole to be visible. 60"+? I doubt a picture that large will be watchable. Picture quality will be nothing like a current flat panel. No speakers-listen to a smartphone? I would assume a very compromised TV experience.

I see this as a test of technology, but not yet a useful product.
Listen to this guy. He knows his stuff.

I'll need to ask a friend what he is using for his projection. I saw 6 episodes in a row of Doctor who on 100" wall. Wasn't pitch black in the room either. I think I'm dialog deaf though. No one seems to turn it up loud enough for me to hear speaking.

Yet, I can hear a whisper from across the room.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,663,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Please let us know how you feel about chromecast and if that is a solution here locally. I am OTA and very interested in options . . . have Netflix and do a lot of my tv episode watching online.
It's a cute toy but for what? It is nice (I guess) to use your whatever device as a remote but the nifty idea is somewhat lost up against a T.V. because who wants to listen to sound through their TV? I don't. Not ever. I would need some sort of HDMI extension cable so I could hook it up to my receiver. But my Blu Ray and XBOX cover the content bases nicely.

I was startled today to find out I have been signed up to Dish for a year. That means the rate goes up and all of a sudden the ETF looks a bit tastier so I am anxious to get back to OTA.

The one mistake I did make with the Chromecast was I was able to buy a truckload the hour they came out and I didn't. I didn't buy one at all because I could justify the price but not having another "thing" in the house (my DVR box for Dish is still on the floor exactly where it was left by the installer).

I was up late as usual when the product was injected in to Amazon and could be rich now if I would have seen what was coming.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:47 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,941,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
It's a cute toy but for what? It is nice (I guess) to use your whatever device as a remote but the nifty idea is somewhat lost up against a T.V. because who wants to listen to sound through their TV? I don't. Not ever. I would need some sort of HDMI extension cable so I could hook it up to my receiver. But my Blu Ray and XBOX cover the content bases nicely.

I was startled today to find out I have been signed up to Dish for a year. That means the rate goes up and all of a sudden the ETF looks a bit tastier so I am anxious to get back to OTA.

The one mistake I did make with the Chromecast was I was able to buy a truckload the hour they came out and I didn't. I didn't buy one at all because I could justify the price but not having another "thing" in the house (my DVR box for Dish is still on the floor exactly where it was left by the installer).

I was up late as usual when the product was injected in to Amazon and could be rich now if I would have seen what was coming.
My receiver has the room for more HDMI ports. I have a 6ft HDMI cable running out of the cabinet that the receiver is in for whenever i want to hook up my laptop to the TV. The sound is then broadcast through the receiver and out the surround sound speakers. I plan on plugging the Chromecast into that cable.

I wish I would have purchased my Chromecast earlier. I am still waiting for it.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,144,006 times
No, I wouldn't use it. And for the same reason I don't find things like Chromecast and Roku useful. My internet connection is not the greatest and the picture greatly suffers espcially in the first few minutes. I'll stick with cable unless FiOS comes around here.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:08 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,941,776 times
I have found sports to be the worst when it comes to online streaming. It looks like i'll be able to watch all of the Newcastle United EPL matches this year thanks to NBC streaming them online. We'll see if the quality is good enough to make it worth it. I watched the first season of Grimm on NBC without a problem. I never had a problem when I streamed stuff on Netflix. I plan on watching The Soprano's and The Wire using HBO Go and the Chromecast. I may compare using the Chromecast to using my laptop to see if one is better. So far most reviews have been positive for the Chromecast so I am hopeful that I will have a positive experience with it.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Quote:

I already stream stuff from my computer to my TV . . . and I have external speakers . . . so chromcast looks like another weapon in my arsenal, so to speak. I just wish I had ordered it immediately upon finding out about it.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 AM

11,803 posts, read 9,394,580 times
Quote:

If you couldn't justify $35... it may have been a good thing you didn't buy a truck load. I've heard stories about $100 ebay listings but most people I hear talk about them are giddy because it's $35.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 PM

416 posts, read 811,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
HBO says they're 'thinking about it' but not quite yet. The cable and satellite providers would be up in arms if HBO allowed customers to bypass them and buy directly from HBO. The price of cable and satellite would certainly increase to make up for lost revenue.

Also, for all we know, HBO doesn't want to have to be in the direct-to-customer business. Right now, they have the cable and satellite companies handle all customer service and billing for them. They'd have to build an infrastructure to handle all that.

HBO is owned by Time Warner so if they allowed a direct purchase, Time Warner would have to give their blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte