U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:15 AM

279 posts, read 358,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
HBO is owned by Time Warner so if they allowed a direct purchase, Time Warner would have to give their blessing.
You probably didn't realize that Time Warner, the company that owns HBO, is not the same company as Time Warner Cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:39 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
Well based on this thread I went out and picked up the chromecast at Best Buy in card and I'm pretty impressed. I still need to look at the network and tweaking but as a good way to broad cast stuff in a browser or youtube it's pretty cool.

I tried streaming a video playing in chrome but it was a little choppy - however it could be my wireless network and i dont think i have it optimized. for $35 it's really good, if in next rev they put a nic jack and 802n wireless network then they got some something really cool...

Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well based on this thread I went out and picked up the chromecast at Best Buy in card and I'm pretty impressed. I still need to look at the network and tweaking but as a good way to broad cast stuff in a browser or youtube it's pretty cool.

I tried streaming a video playing in chrome but it was a little choppy - however it could be my wireless network and i dont think i have it optimized. for $35 it's really good, if in next rev they put a nic jack and 802n wireless network then they got some something really cool...
I picked up a Chromecast yesterday from Best Buy. It included a 3 month streaming credit with Netflix. Registering the credit took $23.97 off my bill. It didnt look like I would need to actually sign up for streaming but I did anyway.

Youtube worked great as did Netflix. Playing through the Chrome browser isn't the best quality if you are trying to stream. I only tried one site and it was a little choppy. This feature is still in Beta. I assume HBO Go and the EPL matches that I want to watch online will have the same result. HBO Go is thinking about adding support for the Chromecast which would be great.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:46 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I picked up a Chromecast yesterday from Best Buy. It included a 3 month streaming credit with Netflix. Registering the credit took $23.97 off my bill. It didnt look like I would need to actually sign up for streaming but I did anyway.

Youtube worked great as did Netflix. Playing through the Chrome browser isn't the best quality if you are trying to stream. I only tried one site and it was a little choppy. This feature is still in Beta. I assume HBO Go and the EPL matches that I want to watch online will have the same result. HBO Go is thinking about adding support for the Chromecast which would be great.
Hmmmm. Which BB are you guys finding these at? I assume they are sold out but I wouldn't think you could buy one yesterday. The Netflix promo is suppose to be over but I guess if it's labeled that way in the store then you're entitled. That's about the only reason I'd buy one.

Anyway, let me know where. thx

Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,935,359 times
I thought they were sold out too but with Miker2069's post I went to the Best Buy website and looked. Some stores have an In Store Only status. I called the Concord Mills Mall location, which had that status, and they put one on hold for me. I picked it up the same day. I was surprised by the Netflix credit. I had read that Google got rid of that. I wonder if Netflix or maybe even Best Buy extended it themselves.

I dropped the 2nd DVD, which I was planning on eventually doing anyway, and added the streaming. I put in the coupon code before I added the streaming and it just stated that I had a $23.97 credit added to my account. I had to call Netflix to add the streaming due to an error I would receive when I tried to add the streaming on my own. I may drop the streaming but Netflix has some series that I want to watch. Plus, they have some movies in my DVD list that are streamable. I'll play with it more this weekend. I am hoping that HBO and NBC add support soon. I would love to be able to stream some EPL matches through the Chromecast so I don't have to move my laptop downstairs and hook it up.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Hmmmm. Which BB are you guys finding these at? I assume they are sold out but I wouldn't think you could buy one yesterday. The Netflix promo is suppose to be over but I guess if it's labeled that way in the store then you're entitled. That's about the only reason I'd buy one.

Anyway, let me know where. thx
Sorry - my original post was a bit sloppy - I meant to say I went to the best buy in Concord Mills and found it there. The Sales associate said they're selling fast (but they seem to keep them stocked pretty well).

I also have great reviews with youtube and netflix (although I can do netflix on my samsung e5400 media center), still it's nice to have the alternative.

The chrome streaming is good and it all depends on your wireless network quality and speed. I found that if I find what I want to stream, then chromecast (vs streaming the browser tab and tranmsitting screen updates) it works pretty good. I can also "drop" music and videos from my local computer into the browser and they play that way too. Not bad for $35 and I can see the technology only getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte