Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,135 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So I'm looking for a package deal with cable and internet. I've been looking around and it seems like Time Warner Cable and Dish are the only two service providers in Charlotte? I'm not too concerned about the cable (a basic cable package will be fine) but I really need a strong internet service since I spend a lot of time doing work on the internet. If anyone has any comments about time warner or dish, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny.to.nc View Post
Hi,
So I'm looking for a package deal with cable and internet. I've been looking around and it seems like Time Warner Cable and Dish are the only two service providers in Charlotte? I'm not too concerned about the cable (a basic cable package will be fine) but I really need a strong internet service since I spend a lot of time doing work on the internet. If anyone has any comments about time warner or dish, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Dish is satellite, not cable. TWC is the way to go for internet, and I've found it to be the least expensive as well.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I've heard good and bad things about Uverse. But they are a provider here in some parts, check out their site at att.com

As mentioned Dish is satellite along with Direct TV. I also heard good things about Clear Wire last year but heard they can be a bit pricey but you can use it everywhere as its a mobile internet plan.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Clearwire is in the middle of a merger with Sprint, which is in the middle of being taken over by a Japanese company.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:03 PM

279 posts, read 447,864 times
For Pay TV, you will have the choice of the two satellite companies (Dish & Direct) and the indigenous phone & cable companies that serve where you live. For Charlotte and a lot of the surrounding area this is mostly TWC & AT&T. Lake Norman has a municipal cable system. Union, Cabarrus, & SC were once served by Mom & Pop telephone companies or GTE so you will need to check what is there. Most likely it's a combination of Frontier and/or Windstream or whatever they are today.

For wired internet it's going to be either the phone or cable company. Same as above.

For most, TWC's internet will be the fastest Internet available. AT&T is hit or miss with Uverse as your neighbor might get it, you might not. There is no FIOS in this area. (People in Rowan County do have the lucky option of fiber to the homes from a 3rd party.)

Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM

63 posts, read 141,406 times
I would get an amplified digital antenna. They cost about $20+ depending on indoor or outdoor. Then you'll get all the major networks. Then use your internet to use netflix. We use a ROKU box connected to our internet to use Netflix and watch downloaded movies and TV shows. Our monthly bill is 59.00 a month for internet (30mbps) and 7.99 for Netflix. ROKU boxes are a one time purchase. You can also use Apple TV instead of ROKU.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 AM

834 posts, read 1,016,332 times
U-verse is way cheaper. The DSL gets 20Mbps/2MBps just like the best cable. You also don't have to deal with line repair people which are mostly kids with trucks and latter, they can take up to a month just for a first visit, and often don't fix issues..

Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
U-verse is way cheaper. The DSL gets 20Mbps/2MBps just like the best cable. You also don't have to deal with line repair people which are mostly kids with trucks and latter, they can take up to a month just for a first visit, and often don't fix issues..
Except for everything you said, I completely agree with your post.

The best cable internet servce isn't 20/2. TWC offers up to 50Mb download speeds for residential users. U-verse caps at half of that.

The U-verse service that most closely matches up with my Turbo TWC is $5 less a month, for the introductory rate. One it goes up to the regular rate it will be nearly $15 more than what I'm paying. They are not "way cheaper".

In the 8+ years I've had TWC internet, I've never waited more than one day for a tech to come out, the occurence of which is extremely seldom (maybe 4 times total?). My issues have been fixed just about immediately, every time.

A month? That's just a wild exaggeration. Did you actually wait a month for a TWC tech to come out? I'd never wait a month for anyone to come to my home for a simple service or install. Never.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Except for everything you said, I completely agree with your post.

The best cable internet servce isn't 20/2. TWC offers up to 50Mb download speeds for residential users. U-verse caps at half of that.

The U-verse service that most closely matches up with my Turbo TWC is $5 less a month, for the introductory rate. One it goes up to the regular rate it will be nearly $15 more than what I'm paying. They are not "way cheaper".

In the 8+ years I've had TWC internet, I've never waited more than one day for a tech to come out, the occurence of which is extremely seldom (maybe 4 times total?). My issues have been fixed just about immediately, every time.

A month? That's just a wild exaggeration. Did you actually wait a month for a TWC tech to come out? I'd never wait a month for anyone to come to my home for a simple service or install. Never.
A coworker said she had a horrible experience with TWC. She said they had to make multiple trips and never got it right.

Not saying its the norm but it happens. I'm still going to give TWC a shot once they get the CBS thing figured out.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
A coworker said she had a horrible experience with TWC. She said they had to make multiple trips and never got it right.

Not saying its the norm but it happens. I'm still going to give TWC a shot once they get the CBS thing figured out.
No doubt that some people have a bad experience with TWC, or any TV/internet vendor, or really any other service provider. I have plenty of rants! When I was still in the A/V business I often complained about TWC cable service, because it affected what I had to do. I do feel fortunate to have had a great overall experience on my own TWC internet service.

My post was mainly just to address some factual errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte