Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 14,223 times

Advertisements

Bonds for the new neighborhood school just passed, nice master-planned subdivision, close to town and 485, awesome amenity and I own a house there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,483 times
Default Get out of Charlotte IN STATESVILLE

While Charlotte may be a great place to work and play, the school system is not the greatest! I grew up in Statesville and loved my primary school years there. The community is growing and there are big plans for shopping and an international airport in the near future so real estate is a great investment.
Moderator cut: solicitation The commute to Uptown (that's right, Uptown ;} ) is only about 40 minutes. It will probably take you just as long if you live in Charlotte due to THE HORRIBLE TRAFFIC. From statesville it is just straight down 77!
My house is next to a soccer complex, frisbee golf, and a nearby country club. Hickory (great shopping) is only 25 minutes away. Winston-Salem (great shopping) is only 35 minutes away. Wilmington (beaches) are 4 hours, and Ashville (beautiful mountains) are about 2 hours west.
Moderator cut: TOS VIOLATION i am downsizing to a one bedroom apartment near UNCC until I graduate (otherwise I would love to raise my family in statesville too).
Moderator cut: SOLICITING

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-14-2007 at 04:05 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,483 times
Default and did i mention

taxes are lower in Iredell county! 6.75% (charlotte is 7.25%) make a difference when it comes time to pay property taxes!
short commute to Lake Norman too!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Fernanda View Post
While Charlotte may be a great place to work and play, the school system is not the greatest! I grew up in Statesville and loved my primary school years there. The community is growing and there are big plans for shopping and an international airport in the near future so real estate is a great investment.
My house is next to a soccer complex, frisbee golf, and a nearby country club. Hickory (great shopping) is only 25 minutes away. Winston-Salem (great shopping) is only 35 minutes away. Wilmington (beaches) are 4 hours, and Ashville (beautiful mountains) are about 2 hours west.
Ragging on Charlotte to try to make your place look better is not cool. There is no way I would ever advise anyone to commute from Statesville to uptown Charlotte - all that "HORRIBLE" traffic you were referring to would still be something the commuter would have to go thru - living in Statesville saves no one any time at all!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-14-2007 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: solicitation tooken care of in referrring post

Old 11-14-2007, 02:54 PM

157 posts, read 307,363 times
Hi lovesmountains,

well said. we are getting lots of good info from good people on these sites, you included. we continue to look for info and appreciate all of the great feedback....

Old 11-14-2007, 02:58 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Fernanda View Post
taxes are lower in Iredell county! 6.75% (charlotte is 7.25%) make a difference when it comes time to pay property taxes!
short commute to Lake Norman too!
Mine are 3% (down from 4% last year) and will be going down more next year.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 PM

how about commute times people. i am looking for commute times please. Matthews to the Bank of America Building on Tryon. How about Weddington to BOA, Indian Bend, Waxhaw, Concord, Harrisburg.......

Old 11-14-2007, 04:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletnice View Post
how about commute times people. i am looking for commute times please. Matthews to the Bank of America Building on Tryon. How about Weddington to BOA, Indian Bend, Waxhaw, Concord, Harrisburg.......
Let's see if I can help. The further into Matthews you live the more complicated your commute. However, if you were to live in Matthews along hwy 51 that gives you a distinct advantage. Please tell us your price range again (sorry, I forgot!) so I can give you some examples of where you want to look.

Much also depends on what time of day you will be commuting. But just for instance, if you left home in Matthews, closest to the Charlotte limits at 7 a.m. you could be in uptown in about 35 minutes. By 7:30 that ride would be 45+ minutes. Weddington and Waxhaw ares further out than Matthews, so the commutes can be more difficult. However, a little section of Union county near the Charlotte limits off of Rea Rd would be your best commute with a Waxhaw address (though to me, it is nowhere near Waxhaw itself, it's just a post office thing). So check out Hunter Oaks - the best Union county subdivision in my opinion for getting quickest to uptown - though it will still take a minimum of 45 minutes.

Concord and Harrisburg are great places - look for commutes from each to uptown to be a minimum of 45 minutes also - IF there are no accidents on the interstate. Personally, I prefer traveling the streets as opposed to the interstates during traffic times. That is because you can hop off and take alternate routes when there is a problem. If you are on the interstate when a problem occurs, you are just stuck in it. A good friend had a great house in Concord and traveled uptown for work every day on I85 - he finally gave in and left Concord rather than have to deal with the interstate any longer.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 11-14-2007 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Hello Lovesmountains,

thank you for your input. Our price range would be around 325K. We would love a great, safe, family friendly area. Great schools too. We would like to have it all if possible. You always have great advice so i cant wait to hear back. Thanks soo much. Also are there any new builds that we should look into. Thanks. Its always a pleasure

Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Just an aside -- Hunter Oaks commute time of 45 minutes is during the height of rush hour If there's no traffic (i.e., in the middle of the day) it's about 25 minutes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte