U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:29 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,859,715 times

Advertisements

I am in need of a computer. The ones I modded/upgraded is finally lagging behind what's current now. I did them from online stores but was wondering if anyone knew someone local? I usually like them more beefed up in ram and video cards than what typical stores offers. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,527,167 times
Slayton Computers off sugar creek

Old 08-15-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Slayton Computers off sugar creek
Thanks!

I am getting the "current" specs now as I type this and arming myself with info before I go. I hate hate hate computer shopping! I feel like anything I buy will be seriously outdated in a couple of years. Sigh.

But I didn't do too badly with the pair I have now that I bought 6 years ago and is just now just under the lower priced computers at the stores.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:38 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times
What do you use it for? For the most part (IMO anyway) having the most current, best specs only matters if you are doing something like hardcored gaming. Most people overbuy when they get a PC when all they do is check YouTube, email, City Data, and other basic tasks.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 AM

533 posts, read 764,532 times
Locally, Best Buy will match any online price. You just need to print the price you find online and bring it into the store.

Shopping online, I use newegg.com a TON.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What do you use it for? For the most part (IMO anyway) having the most current, best specs only matters if you are doing something like hardcored gaming. Most people overbuy when they get a PC when all they do is check YouTube, email, City Data, and other basic tasks.
Gaming. And I don't look for the very best specs but just high enough in the processor, ram and video card so I can use the computers for years as in plural instead of it being useless in 1 or 2. And I actually prefer an older windows, 8 sucks!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Locally, Best Buy will match any online price. You just need to print the price you find online and bring it into the store.

Shopping online, I use newegg.com a TON.
That's how I built these two plus I used tigers direct. I am going that route if I can't find something local in the shops here. I like to try to support them first.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM

642 posts, read 986,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
That's how I built these two plus I used tigers direct. I am going that route if I can't find something local in the shops here. I like to try to support them first.
If you are capable of assembling a PC from scratch - it's not that hard, you may wish to take a look at www.newegg.com. Whilst not at all local, you won't have to physically shop. You just need to know what you want and, browse the web.

If you know what you are about with PC components, you should end up with a PC that will outperfom most of the store bought units at a lower price.

Until Michael Dell's propsed buy-back of the company I would have suggested buying a Dell on the web. I have always liked Dell PCs and I like their web and physical support too. This is just my own opinion based on my own experience you and others may feel differently.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
If you are capable of assembling a PC from scratch - it's not that hard, you may wish to take a look at www.newegg.com. Whilst not at all local, you won't have to physically shop. You just need to know what you want and, browse the web.

If you know what you are about with PC components, you should end up with a PC that will outperfom most of the store bought units at a lower price.

Until Michael Dell's propsed buy-back of the company I would have suggested buying a Dell on the web. I have always liked Dell PCs and I like their web and physical support too. This is just my own opinion based on my own experience you and others may feel differently.
I have always bought dell and beefed them up. I too like them and the current pair I have now has lasted me for years and through many kids/gaming etc. Still growing strong. It's just that the newer software are much more demanding so it's time for new ones. I don't mind building them, but I figured I might be able to pick up a deal since the all in ones seems to be the "rage" now and the towers might sell for less. I am making my rounds of the stores and computer shops tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 PM

279 posts, read 357,862 times
I've built dozens of computers. Everything from server type machines to small low noise systems that bolt to the back of TVs to operate as a set top box. IMO, your best bet for components is to shop on-line and while I have bought from Newegg, Tiger, and the others, I've found that Amazon is simply better for most items. (better /= lowest cost all the time) This is especially so if you have a Prime membership.

If you go local, the above mention of Slayton is a good one. They have been in CLT for a long time. I bought a line terminal and a 300 baud (lol) modem from them in the 1980s to remotely logon to my university's mainframe. I would also suggest ATD Computers which is not that far from there relatively speaking. Don't bother with the large chains. It's a waste of time. Plan to go to Slayton during business hours and preferably around lunch. You don't want to be in that neighborhood after dark.

IMO, if you are looking for gaming and don't mind tossing out a little cash, get a gaming laptop from one of the boutique brands. You can get them built as you like and they almost always have matte screens which I prefer over glossy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte