U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 PM

111 posts, read 280,810 times

Advertisements

(This can be good or bad surprises by the way)-When you first came to visit and or live? For me it was how clean Uptown was. I don't think I have ever seen a downtown of Charlotte's size, so clean and kept up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,867,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
(This can be good or bad surprises by the way)-When you first came to visit and or live? For me it was how clean Uptown was. I don't think I have ever seen a downtown of Charlotte's size, so clean and kept up.
I agree with this. And Charlotte feels a lot larger than what I think most people expect.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:27 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,470,396 times
I did not expect to see so much housing stock that looked alike. Charlotte is packed with single story brick ranch style homes built from the 1950s to early 1980s. Some of the sterotypes of Charlotte that I heard before moving here, did not pan out. Not everybody is into discussing auto racing. (In fact only one co-worker that I can remember payed any attention to it.)

Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,469 times
Imho, Charlotte IS a big city in every stretch of the word! Not NYC, LA or Chicago big, but it is very much a big city! It amazes me that people says there is nothing to do in Charlotte and that it is boring, my question is where about in Charlotte do you live? If you live further out like in the Hickory Grove area, or in Mint Hill, then you should expect to be bored, but if you live in the inner ring neighborhoods around Uptown, then you should be able to find something to do! I have a girlfriend who lives off Beaties Ford Rd. and that area feels like a typical urban "hood" to me, not that anyone would care about that, but I thought I'd point that out! Sorry for the rant, I just felt I needed to say this!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 08-17-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 08:50 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
What surprised me?

Good: The hustle and bustle of uptown/downtown and how much it's changed since I've moved back to NC. I guess what I mean is the after 5pm crowd, although not on the level of a big city, it's quite different than 15-20 years ago. On a broader note, most NC city's downtowns have changed significantly in the past 10-15 years.

Had no idea the area had so many golf courses...a welcomed surprise.

Bad:
The highway infrastructure, everything seems 20 years behind or what I would have expected to occur years ago when talked about...I-485 completion, I-85 and I-77 widening, and Independence Blvd upgrade.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
What surprised me?

Good: The hustle and bustle of uptown/downtown and how much it's changed since I've moved back to NC. I guess what I mean is the after 5pm crowd, although not on the level of a big city, it's quite different than 15-20 years ago. On a broader note, most NC city's downtowns have changed significantly in the past 10-15 years.

Had no idea the area had so many golf courses...a welcomed surprise.

Bad:
The highway infrastructure, everything seems 20 years behind or what I would have expected to occur years ago when talked about...I-485 completion, I-85 and I-77 widening, and Independence Blvd upgrade.
As always, everything you said here, I agree with!

Old 08-17-2013, 06:58 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,867,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Bad:
I do think infrastructure could be improved, but 20 years behind seems like a stretch.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I do think infrastructure could be improved, but 20 years behind seems like a stretch.
No, that's about right. They've been building 485 for over 20 years!!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,739,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
No, that's about right. They've been building 485 for over 20 years!!
Yep.. We also initially proposed light rail in the late 80's!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 PM

202 posts, read 288,575 times
For me it was the diversity in the nationalities and how many people who lived here that we're not born here. I am originally from Pittsburgh and the moved to DC for 17 years before moving to Charlotte. I though Charlotte would have been more like Pittsburgh where a lot of people that live there were born there. That definitely isn't true here. I have only met a few people that were originally from Charlotte. That was definitely the biggest surprise for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or