U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:35 PM

21 posts, read 28,898 times

Advertisements

My idea for a better City of Charlotte and for an overall better North Carolina is a simple cutoff. From this point on if you want to purchase a home in Charlotte you must first prove that you are a native of North Carolina. I think we have had enough of people who don't have our values coming here and changing things to meet their own needs. The way around that is we simply petition the state to declare that charlotte is officially too crowded and is no longer open to people who have no living experience in our state. It's the truth anyway because things are much more crowded than they used to be, but even more at stake are our values that people from the "north" do not share. I have had more than enough of people coming here to turn this into a mini version of where they came from as they bring their way of life with them and expect US to change. No thanks. I can't make you stay in your old territory but I can darn sure keep you out of mine if you want to bring your ways with you and they counteract what we already have.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM

273 posts, read 1,214,626 times
I think you're looking more for a suicide forum

Just some major points before this explodes into a huge 20 page argument that you are obviously searching for..

1) Not all people with original southern roots match your values

2) Not all people moving to NC are from the north, many are from the west, midwest, and further south or other southern states. Yes many are from the North but do not act like that is it.

3) There are people moving OUT of NC too, not just into it. I know plenty of people that moved TO connecticut from NC instead of vice versa.

4) While population growth is a little higher here, it still exists everywhere, NOT just NC. Most populations of major cities are higher now than say 1, 5, or 10 years ago. Thats a given.

5) Charlotte is a city. All cities, regardless of location, have a melting pot effect, and a plethra of different of people.

6) Who's to say Southern Values are better than Northern values, or vice versa? That is just ignorant.

7) Telling people where they can and cant live is WAYY worse than the argument that started over the possibility of North Carolina banning sagging your pants, talk about taking away peoples rights.

8) While I know there will be people on both sides of this argument, its still saying more that people opposed to your argument exist, b/c in order to enlist something like that it would have to be quite unanimous, which is obviously not the general consensus of North Carolina Natives.

9) Its economically irresponsible in terms of the Country as a whole

10) Finally you're just trying to start a fight, and I think this thread should be closed before it gets out of hand.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:12 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,770,246 times
I think we should kill all trolls. Your ancestors (who in all probabaility came here from up north) stole this land from the Catawba so what goes around comes around.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:14 PM

I am not trying to start any trouble. It's just my point of view. You could have bypassed this forum if it offended you in some way, but just the same I apologize if I have offended you. I hope this topic can be reasonably discussed without any feelings being hurt. I do think you are jumping to conclusions here but that's your right I suppose.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:19 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,770,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeauty View Post
I am not trying to start any trouble. It's just my point of view. You could have bypassed this forum if it offended you in some way, but just the same I apologize if I have offended you. I hope this topic can be reasonably discussed without any feelings being hurt. I do think you are jumping to conclusions here but that's your right I suppose.
It's also my right to move anywhere in the US I so choose even if it means putting up with ignorant people such as yourself. By the way, this topic has been beaten to death on this forum.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 PM

396 posts, read 1,501,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeauty View Post
My idea for a better City of Charlotte and for an overall better North Carolina is a simple cutoff. From this point on if you want to purchase a home in Charlotte you must first prove that you are a native of North Carolina. I think we have had enough of people who don't have our values coming here and changing things to meet their own needs. The way around that is we simply petition the state to declare that charlotte is officially too crowded and is no longer open to people who have no living experience in our state. It's the truth anyway because things are much more crowded than they used to be, but even more at stake are our values that people from the "north" do not share. I have had more than enough of people coming here to turn this into a mini version of where they came from as they bring their way of life with them and expect US to change. No thanks. I can't make you stay in your old territory but I can darn sure keep you out of mine if you want to bring your ways with you and they counteract what we already have.
There's something to be said for boldness. I probably would have written this very thing when all of the Californians began moving to Idaho and complaining about how we "didn't have this and didn't have that". But that being said, I'm glad we got to come here and love the people and all of the offerrings. Charlotte even has a Panda Express now so everything is good (even some of us transplants).

Old 11-13-2007, 02:29 PM

174 posts, read 421,868 times
i love the way everyone from up north has no values. can you give a few examples of this? you probably have never been to new york, sorry (up north) and see what its like to live there day to day. let me let you in on a little secret, it is a great place to live, and raise a family. does it have bad points, of course, what place doesn't. also what are some of the things you think we are changing to make our own? i've been here for 10 months, and have adjusted very well, and i haven't tried to change anything. i've made several friends who are true natives from north and south carolina, imagine that.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM

396 posts, read 1,304,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I think we should kill all trolls.
Groove1, don't you think you're being a little harsh here?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
It's also my right to move anywhere in the US I so choose even if it means putting up with ignorant people such as yourself. By the way, this topic has been beaten to death on this forum.
Well I am new to the forum but not new to Charlotte so I am taking this opportunity to "sound off" and I'm sorry you think I am ignorant. Maybe I just don't like some of what I am seeing. I wonder if you are one of my neighbors who are making my once great city an "unsettling" experience.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM

174 posts, read 421,868 times
can you answer my questions ncbeauty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte