Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingrd View Post
I like to do a lot of camping and hiking. I have always met people at bars or coffee shops in the past. Maybe Charlotte works by interests, and that's what I got to figure out. I'll work something out. Thanks for the advice and letting me vent before,
Head over to the U.S. National Whitewater Center and hang out. In fact on Thursday evening check out the Whitewater River Jam (it is on Saturday too). It's Free...(just pay $5 for parking)

Event Calendar | U.S. National Whitewater Center

River Jam | U.S. National Whitewater Center

Good Luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,985 times
Quote:
Hi,

I'm a 25-year-old male. I just moved to Charlotte a couple months ago. I am so frickin' bored to death. I've lived in several cities my whole life (mostly America, then Europe), but never have I had the hardest time meeting people. I have always, always been able to meet people my age and make friends everywhere I go in the U.S. For some reason, Charlotte, I cannot meet a single person like myself to be friends with. I have had easier times when I traveled to Nashville, TN or Lexington, KY, but Charlotte- Where's all the interesting 20-somethings?? I go to Uptown, NoDa, and downtown, but nothing.

I even tried going around the college areas or trying high-rated bars on Yelp, but no luck. People say the only way to "possibly" make friends is by going to church, but apparently churches here are all "family oriented." Elevation scares the hell out of me (it seems like a weird cult and too Christiany for my taste). It seems in the South that most people my age are already married and popping out babies. I am really feeling I made a huge mistake moving here, and now I feel trapped because my living arrangement and job. I'm trying to make plans to move either to western NC or to places like Raleigh soon. Help. This is pathetic. Just venting, don't mean to complain or offend anyone who likes it here.
Just that alone makes me very suspicious of whether or not you live here.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Just that alone makes me very suspicious of whether or not you live here.
If he just moved here, it's very possible he wouldn't know that for Charlotte, Uptown = downtown.

The truth is that Charlotte, like any other city, isn't the best fit for many people, including some who live in the city currently, for various reasons. It just is what it is.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
I think your complaint is not all that uncommon!

If you aren't meeting folks at work -- and you aren't meeting them where you live -- it is hard to meet people here who are interested in the same things you are.

You may have to do as my son did and just get out and do your own thing (such as hiking alone) and see if you meet folks while engaging in those activities. Or join some groups (as others have suggested) that are specifically geared to the activities you enjoy.

I think some of the suggestions here have been great - such as spending time at the Whitewater Center.

Don't give up yet! And good luck!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 AM

328 posts, read 616,164 times
Church can be a great way to meet people in a city like Charlotte; while I don't regularly attend church, a lot of my friends in CLT do and a lot of those churches are pretty great (I agree with you about Elevation - that's a completely different scene than a normal church community). Check out First Methodist in Uptown or Myers Park churches - both have pretty thriving young adult crowds.

Like I said, I am not a regular church attendee, so I built my social group outside of those communities. Like you, I moved to CLT in my mid-20's. I found that the best way to meet folks was through work (which you've stated is difficult) in addition to arts and cultural events. Sign up for the young professional group at the Arts and Science Council - they have regular events that seem fun and well-attended. A lot of my friends are involved with Charlotte Pecha Kucha, a cultural Ted-Talk kind of event, and that might connect you to a lot of other opportunities to meet folks. If you're a runner or cyclist, join a local running/biking group - an activity like that is a fabulous way to meet friends from all over.

Finally, I would like to affirm how you're feeling: it isn't easy to move to a new city and try to make a life there without knowing anyone. In fact, it's admirable. And when I first moved to CLT, I knew absolutely no one. I remember going to Smelly Cat Coffee in NoDa on a weekend afternoon and wondering, maybe for the first time in my life, how it is that you actually MAKE friends? It all seems so easy when you're in your hometown or met your friends through school or work - but when you actively have to build that network from scratch, it can suddenly seem impossible. However, I can assure you that it will happen. It might unfold slowly: you meet someone who leads to another group of people, or you attend an event and find others who like the same things you do. And then suddenly, without realizing that it happened, a city starts to feel like home. Give it time. It'll happen to you too.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,864 times
Lots of people I know have done a bunch of stuff through CHOA to meet new people. Sounds like it is right up your alley.

Carolina Outdoor Adventures - sport social outdoor adventures

Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
I remember some time ago I asked our (German) au pair if she was bored. She looked at me quixotically and replied without missing a beat, "no, I am quite capable of entertaining myself".

Bravo, young lady... bravo!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times
Do you work out? Or like to play casual sports? There are casual sport leagues you can join and meet people that way too. A friend of mine joined a womens softball team and made great friends that way. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
I like to do a lot of camping and hiking. I have always met people at bars or coffee shops in the past. Maybe Charlotte works by interests, and that's what I got to figure out. I'll work something out. Thanks for the advice and letting me vent before,
Here's a thought. Try downtown Belmont. There's a college in town. If that doesn't work, try Freeman's Irish-American Pub in downtown Gastonia.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If he just moved here, it's very possible he wouldn't know that for Charlotte, Uptown = downtown.

The truth is that Charlotte, like any other city, isn't the best fit for many people, including some who live in the city currently, for various reasons. It just is what it is.
And what's coming on this type of website to complain doing about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte