U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM

407 posts, read 728,564 times

Advertisements

These schools threads always break me up. Unless your kids go to certain schools,they probably will not know how to spell their name by the time they enter middle school, can't count to ten, and somehow if they do graduate from some high school other than those mentioned, they MAY be lucky enough to get accepted to the local community college. Definitely not a major university.
I am done ranting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,426,372 times
I will start out by saying i love living in Charlotte but must be honest that education in Charlotte and NC in general is terrible.
If schools are your number 1 priority then you might want reconsider relocating to Charlotte. I am sure I will receive tons of criticism for these remarks but you have to call a spade a spade. NC ranks darn near the bottom of every educational survey and study conducted.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 7,748,067 times
Wasn't Mooresville Graded School District just rated the best in the country recently? Mooresville Graded School District voted Best in the Country

And it seems like their schools sometimes aren't even rated as the best in the area. IMO though, they seem to be one of the only successful schools with more diverse socioeconomic statuses. A lot of the others that are usually recommended are pretty much just where the incomes are higher.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM

2,315 posts, read 4,055,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
I will start out by saying i love living in Charlotte but must be honest that education in Charlotte and NC in general is terrible.
If schools are your number 1 priority then you might want reconsider relocating to Charlotte. I am sure I will receive tons of criticism for these remarks but you have to call a spade a spade. NC ranks darn near the bottom of every educational survey and study conducted.
While I am not disagreeing with you, I am curious to know where you find national rankings (worth considering at all) for public schools?

About the only way I know how to get information like to make a comparitive analysis of my own is either by looking at graduation rates, National Merit Scholar semi/Finalists a state or school produces, or (probably the best indicator) SAT scores.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 AM

2,108 posts, read 3,588,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Wasn't Mooresville Graded School District just rated the best in the country recently? Mooresville Graded School District voted Best in the Country

And it seems like their schools sometimes aren't even rated as the best in the area. IMO though, they seem to be one of the only successful schools with more diverse socioeconomic statuses. A lot of the others that are usually recommended are pretty much just where the incomes are higher.
They say:
Quote:
overall graduation rate is 3rd highest in the state" and 88% percent of 2012 graduates are attending college
How can this school be the best in the country???
The 88% college acceptance is way behind many other high schools in NC.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 AM

2,108 posts, read 3,588,332 times
Quote:
You are correct, this is the reason majority of parents who value education move outside Charlotte, where there are pockets with top education.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM

407 posts, read 728,564 times
Quote:
must be honest that education in Charlotte and NC in general is terrible.
Does this mean that all the intelligent people in the area and state came from elsewhere in the United States.
Or are there no intelligent people in the state except my wife and I who moved from Pa.
Maybe with all of us Northeners moving to the area, things will change.
This whole thing is ridiculous!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM

5,894 posts, read 7,748,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Hey man, don't sweat it! The republicans will get you your very own voucher for the Christian private school of your choice!!
Not sure what you're getting at here, I was more just referring to my previous post about the fact that most of the good public schools in the Charlotte area IMO are mainly that way because they're home to fairly wealthy people. Whereas for Mooresville, especially in MGSD, that's not really the case.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,426,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
Does this mean that all the intelligent people in the area and state came from elsewhere in the United States.
Or are there no intelligent people in the state except my wife and I who moved from Pa.
Maybe with all of us Northeners moving to the area, things will change.
This whole thing is ridiculous!
I was sitting here reading your post wondering if those schools in PA teach reading comprehension? I am sure they do for the fact I was also educated there. At no time did I make any statement regarding the intelligence of people of Charlotte or NC as a whole. I was speaking to the quality of the educational institutions specfically the public ones. It is no secert that NC schools lag behind as compared to the rest of the nation. If a families #1 priority is schools, they will be able to find better schools in other places.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 PM

139 posts, read 211,830 times
If you are as interested in your child's education as you appear to be, your child will be fine in Charlotte - and anywhere else for that matter. Charlotte parents are very willing to splash out $23k/year for private school, or move to a specific neighborhood to get into the "best" public school.

On a related note, I seriously doubt that private schools are worth the cost A small percentage of the total private school student population will get admitted to elite colleges because, no matter how much parents pay, there are only so many seats. Moreover, if your child does well at a reasonable public college they will stand a very good chance of attending a very high quality graduate school - at which time you may wish you had those dollars you spent on 7th grade back. I have more examples than I can count of people who attended 2nd-tier colleges prior to getting accepted to top tier graduate schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte