U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 PM

348 posts, read 751,571 times

Advertisements

Eh, I tend to run at leat 3-4 years behind the times .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
I heard that NC banned smoking (finally) in restaurants this year. Has it not taken effect?
Yup...went into effect on January 2 of this year (and there are plenty of old threads discussing this subject if you want to go look up all of our back-and-forth on the issue).

Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,685,410 times
Get rid of that darn state sales tax, why do we need it? I think this is the biggest waste!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,062,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Get rid of that darn state sales tax, why do we need it? I think this is the biggest waste!
Ya, who needs all those pesky road repairs?

Speaking of roads, something that should be banned is excessively short on ramps. Sometimes it is very nerve racking to merge onto the highway.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,685,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ya, who needs all those pesky road repairs?

Speaking of roads, something that should be banned is excessively short on ramps. Sometimes it is very nerve racking to merge onto the highway.
Other states don't have sales taxes and they seem to do a better job @ road construction and repair than we do! We definately do not see a return on our investment with our sales taxes. Our roads are way behind almost every other state, and most would agree with me in that our state legislator dream up ways to tax us to death! I hear it all the time from people who have moved here from other places that we have way too many taxes, especially property taxes!

Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,062,061 times
I have another idea for something to be banned. $8 buckets of popcorn. If the government can get all up in an airline's face for having a carry on baggage fee then why don't they go after movie theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
Eh, I tend to run at leat 3-4 years behind the times .....
Congratulations on your team's World Series win.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:24 PM

8,717 posts, read 7,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
...congratulations on your team's world series win.

Last edited by hooligan; 07-13-2010 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM

5,551 posts, read 6,660,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Other states don't have sales taxes and they seem to do a better job @ road construction and repair than we do! We definately do not see a return on our investment with our sales taxes. Our roads are way behind almost every other state, and most would agree with me in that our state legislator dream up ways to tax us to death! I hear it all the time from people who have moved here from other places that we have way too many taxes, especially property taxes!
prwfromnc - Part of the problem with the roads, is the way state funds per capita are allocated. The Charlotte area gets gypped on that basis, while North Bumlint, in one of the eastern counties, gets a 4-lane highway with a population of 30 people and 300,000 pigs because their representative has been in the NC legislature since Andrew Jackson was in the third grade! NC does have some taxes other states don't, and while they're a nuisance, they're fairly comparable to many other states. As far as property taxes go, being from NJ, where you could end up paying $20,000 in property taxes on a $350,000 house (which in no way looks like a $350,000 house in NC), consider yourself lucky ...and work to assure that scenario won't be repeated here!

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM

308 posts, read 529,250 times
I am a foreigner. I accept and love things here. If I didn't appreciate the area, I would leave. What bugs me are the people that seem to cry and complain about the area. What is it with Americans. I had to listen to Americans whine and complain in the U.K. and now I have to listen to them whine and complain in America. I guess I can say the same to those people in America as I did in the U.K., "If you don't like it here, please return to the place from where you came". I am sure that the previous home of these depressing individuals is in a poor state whict prompted them to seek a better plece. Poor drivers, crime, bad schools, rude neighbors, awkardly named streets are not unique anywhere, learn to enjoy your surroundings. You will be happier and live longer. In summary, ban these myserable sods that can't carry on a friendly conversation without bitching.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM

5,551 posts, read 6,660,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
I am a foreigner. I accept and love things here. If I didn't appreciate the area, I would leave. What bugs me are the people that seem to cry and complain about the area. What is it with Americans. I had to listen to Americans whine and complain in the U.K. and now I have to listen to them whine and complain in America. I guess I can say the same to those people in America as I did in the U.K., "If you don't like it here, please return to the place from where you came". I am sure that the previous home of these depressing individuals is in a poor state whict prompted them to seek a better plece. Poor drivers, crime, bad schools, rude neighbors, awkardly named streets are not unique anywhere, learn to enjoy your surroundings. You will be happier and live longer. In summary, ban these myserable sods that can't carry on a friendly conversation without bitching.
newcomerfromuk - You must understand that complaining is a central part of the American character! While we've fallen down in a few areas of life such as education and healthcare, in the Olympics and World Cup of Complaining, we're still number one! We did however, complain about George the Third excessively though! And to boot, certainly did complain all the way from Plymouth Rock to Hawaii too! To maintain your credibility, you're going to have to re-phrase your line "If you don't like it here, please return to the place you came from" to "If you don't like it here please return to from whence you came!" Otherwise, people are going to assume you've adapted too quickly, and lost all that British charm, like Hugh Laurie's Dr. House with that middle New Jersey accent! That would be a real shame ...probably something I'd complain about too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte