U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,865,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I stand corrected. It doesn't appear to be Leviathan's "twin" at all!!!

New documents shed light on Carowinds negotiations, attractions - Charlotte Business Journal

^^^From what I can tell, they're talking about a 315 ft version of Cedar Point's "Gatekeeper"!!!!!!

GateKeeper REAL POV Cedar Point's New 2013 B&M Wing Rider Roller Coaster - YouTube

A different angle of the same ride...

GateKeeper - Cedar Point - Watch an 8 year old boy on the coaster! - YouTube
"It would be only the third of its size in the U.S., and among five in the world."

It's definitely a wing coaster! Somewhere located on the North Carolina side- which is why Charlotte was asked to give incentives.

So this will be a 315 ft. winged roller coaster?! It will be the 6th tallest roller coaster in the world. That's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 01:02 AM

3,434 posts, read 4,306,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As stated above, Cedar Fair has a pattern as well as a stated goal to make Carowinds a much more visited park. Canada's Wonderland is the most visited park in Cedar Fair's network of parks. There are many reasons for this. First, Wonderland is about 25 miles north of Toronto (a large beautiful tier 1 city). Secondly, Wonderland has no real competition in the entire country. The only way theme park goers in Canada will do better than Wonderland is to leave the country and hit up one of the parks in the US. Many folks aren't willing to go through all of that; so having a great park in their own backyards is a plus.

Carowinds may never reach the 3.7 million annual visitors that Wonderland enjoys, but I think with the right rides and attractions, Carowinds could reach 2.5 million visitors per year. Currently, Carowinds is in the 2 million visitors range.

As for the Cedar Fair pattern that I spoke briefly about; it's quite unambiguous. In 2008, Wonderland opened a ride called Behemoth (which is pretty much a twin of Carowinds's Intimidator). 2 years later (2010), Cedar Fair introduced Intimidator to Carowinds. In 2011, Wonderland got Windseeker. In 2012, Carowinds got Windseeker. In 2012, Wonderland got Leviathan (a 300 ft-plus 92 mph; $28 million coaster). My thoughts are that Carowinds can expect Leviathan's "twin" in 2015. The 300 ft height and the $30 million price tag certainly fits.

The fact that Carowinds will soon have a "Hyper" coaster (Intimidator) and a "Giga" coaster (the unknown $30 million monster) will be a total game changer for our park.
I agree with your original assessment regarding Cedar Fair's pattern in Canada and similarity to Carowinds. I don't necessarily think showing a picture of Gatekeeper to city council means an exact replica, just the idea of a large coaster. I still think a Leviathan type giga is a more likely possibility. Plus the CEO has said they wouldn't be building any more wing coasters. But we shall see whenever more detailed plans are announced.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:46 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,990,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
"It would be only the third of its size in the U.S., and among five in the world."
Yeah, that's what caught my attention too. I was also thinking it could be the tallest inverted coaster in the world, but there are way more than 5 inverted coasters on the planet. The descriptions have really narrowed this down to a super tall wing coaster. I'm having fun trying to guess though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I agree with your original assessment regarding Cedar Fair's pattern in Canada and similarity to Carowinds. I don't necessarily think showing a picture of Gatekeeper to city council means an exact replica, just the idea of a large coaster. I still think a Leviathan type giga is a more likely possibility. Plus the CEO has said they wouldn't be building any more wing coasters. But we shall see whenever more detailed plans are announced.
Yeah, but I suspect that the CEO is playing poker just a bit. When it comes to theme parks, it's all about holding on to records for as long as you can. The descriptions that were leaked by local sources points to a giga wing coaster. The world's tallest inverted coaster is also a possibility; a title that is currently held by Busch Gardens Williamsburg I think. Whatever it is, it will be a game changer for Carowinds and I can't wait to ride it!!!

I've already thought of some possible names for it with a local connection. 2015 will be the year that the Hornets name returns to Charlotte. How cool would it be if this ride was themed after the team with the teal and purple colors to match? Another possible name (this one I like better than the hornets) would be "Carolina First Flight". The entrance to the ride would have a replica of the Wright Brothers' plane flown at Kitty Hawk. The gift shop next to the ride would have historic t-shirts as well as information about that historic flight. Being that this ride will be on the NC side of Carowinds, a tribute to NC's first flight would be perfectly fine. SC has Intimidator so let NC have "Carolina First Flight".

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-20-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 PM

I'm super excited for whatever it is. Thinking it could be the 6th tallest roller coaster in the world is crazy.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 PM

3,434 posts, read 4,306,450 times
I am excited as well, whatever it turns out to be. But Cedar Fair already has a large new inverted coaster coming to Kings Island next year, the Banshee. So perhaps Carowinds will have something different. Not sure another wing coaster since they just built Gatekeeper at the flagship park. Looks like that would have been the tallest. Perhaps just another Giga similar to Leviathan. They seem to have a contract with B&M manufacturer these days, but they could go back to Intamin and build something similar to Millenium Force or Skyrush at Hershey. We shall see whenever the official announcement is made. And I have not yet been to Dollywood or Cedar Point recently to ride a wing coaster, so not sure how they compare to the more traditional coasters like Intimidator, which is still a great ride.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I am excited as well, whatever it turns out to be. But Cedar Fair already has a large new inverted coaster coming to Kings Island next year, the Banshee. So perhaps Carowinds will have something different. Not sure another wing coaster since they just built Gatekeeper at the flagship park. Looks like that would have been the tallest. Perhaps just another Giga similar to Leviathan. They seem to have a contract with B&M manufacturer these days, but they could go back to Intamin and build something similar to Millenium Force or Skyrush at Hershey. We shall see whenever the official announcement is made. And I have not yet been to Dollywood or Cedar Point recently to ride a wing coaster, so not sure how they compare to the more traditional coasters like Intimidator, which is still a great ride.
I just realized there is only 4 Giga coasters in the world; 3 of them are in the U.S.

""It would be only the third of its size in the U.S., and among five in the world." Is that referring to third by height ranging from 310 ft. and up?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,745,626 times
It was revealed today at C3 (annual coaster event at Carowinds) that the XTreme Skyflyer in Thrill Zone will be removed after the 2014 season ends. This, to make room for the new 300+ ft coaster in 2015.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
It was revealed today at C3 (annual coaster event at Carowinds) that the XTreme Skyflyer in Thrill Zone will be removed after the 2014 season ends. This, to make room for the new 300+ ft coaster in 2015.
That sucks. I liked that ride. The ride doesn't take up much room, though, so I don't see why it's being removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte