Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Would this be something people could bring their kids to see (roughly 6-12)?
If your kids watch TV then they have been exposed to far worse already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
If your kids watch TV then they have been exposed to far worse already.
Based only on the pics I've seen in this thread, I agree that this parade seemed tame. Based on pics I've seen of other pride parades, I definitely would not want kids to see those parades.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Was in New Orleans during one once. After seeing a guy in g string, chaps, and a black, no sleeve vest, I went back into hotel pronto.

IMHO, not the LGBT crowds finest hour.
But how many "regular-looking" people were there? Probably 100x the number of "freaks". Yet people judge the whole community based on a few. Granted, the TV cameras always gravitate to the most sensationalist ones, so those who've never been have preconceived notions. They never show the bowling leagues, churches, choruses, softball teams, etc just marching and carrying banners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny777
Why hasn't Charlotte had a Pride parade in all that time?
For a long time, Pride in NC rotated around the state to different cities, so people in one area didn't have to drive as far. Givent hat this meant brand new planning staffs every year, it was decided to anchor it in the middle of the state, so it (the statewide Pride, coming up Sept 28 this year) was anchored in Durham and has been run by the same committee for a decade.

However, the "outlying" cities eventually wanted their own, more local Pride celebrations, so different cities, especially those farthest from Durham started springing up with their own. Even the OBX has a Pride now (next weekend, IIRC). Ironically, Raleigh didn't have its own Pride until 3 years ago ("OutRaleigh", held in May and lacking a parade or floats, putting a strong emphasis on "family-friendly"), probably because the Raleigh people had no problem going to Durham for the State event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc
Based on pics I've seen of other pride parades, I definitely would not want kids to see those parades.
See above--the photos that are published ALWAYS highlight the unusual people who comprise maybe 1% of the crowd. If you ever saw a Pride event in person, and assessed the crowd objectively, you'd realize how biased the media reporting is.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:27 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

See above--the photos that are published ALWAYS highlight the unusual people who comprise maybe 1% of the crowd. If you ever saw a Pride event in person, and assessed the crowd objectively, you'd realize how biased the media reporting is.
Do a Google search for "pride parade" then go to images. You will see that I'm not referring to just the crowd, and it's not just a small fraction of people, in some of these events.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Do a Google search for "pride parade" then go to images. You will see that I'm not referring to just the crowd, and it's not just a small fraction of people, in some of these events.
Make sure 'Safe search' is turned off too. Big difference.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Again, I will put my firsthand experience at attending prides and marches in many cities for many years up against the photos someone chose to post to the Internet. "Boring" people's pics usually aren't considered post-worthy. Google images is not an objective statistical sample.

I don't care that you have no interest in attending a Pride; people shouldn't attend anything that is not their cup of tea. But I am saying that your "statistical sample" of what you imagine them to be like is not unbiased or sound if you base it only on photos, because the things/people someone chooses to take photos of is self-selected, usually by how "interesting" it is, and most of the people at Pride events are not "interesting" enough to take a picture of.

Quote:
Make sure 'Safe search' is turned off too. Big difference.
If you are seeing pics that fail "safe search", they probably are not of "Pride" events, but of events like the Folsom Street Fair or Southern Decadance, which are closed off and deliberately accentuate the sexual. You will never see anything like that in NC.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
I must be jaded growing up in Miami. I think it's all part of the charm. And there are always a few "showstoppers" whenever you have an event/crowd/festival. That's what I tell my kids anyways.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 PM

140 posts, read 239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you are seeing pics that fail "safe search", they probably are not of "Pride" events, but of events like the Folsom Street Fair or Southern Decadance, which are closed off and deliberately accentuate the sexual. You will never see anything like that in NC.
Seriously. That's what I always tell people: it may be Pride, but it's still in Charlotte, a fairly polite city. You're more likely to see something you don't wanna see at Speed Street.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
One of main reasons, I had my partner video taped the whole parade is show everyone what goes on during the parade as Francois said North Carolina style.
Anyone wants can look at our youtube channel and see the entire parade or search in youtube.
Buddy Fisher ( not sure if he related to Bryan Fisher of Westboro Church but he video taped beginning but his shows mainly his preaching rants.
I only found one other video that parade filmed in its entirety but it started ok then these girls stood in front of him basically like watching a film behind a tall person.uugh. Also didnt have the parade energy like Trade street but that like Charlotte any day very quiet side streets but the city full of life on Trade.

When I watch parade I though the male dancers of Chasers had short shorts looking at video only one did and rest had jeans on, that float went by fast (one of my complaints of parade the pacing of some of floats
The underwear designer Andrew Christian was there in VW convertable with two of his underwear models walking on sides.
They look better in print than in person IMO.

The other one in their underwear is the cast from That Type- Rocky Horror Picture Show who perform twice a month at Cinebarre dinner theater on Providence. I think that would be fun to see next month to get in spirit of Halloween.
As seen in the last segment, we recorded.

Charlotte Pride Parade Part2 of 7 of 7 - YouTube

The parade was also featured in Charlotte Magazine.

Charlotte Pride Parade 2013 - Making Pictures - August 2013 - Charlotte, NC

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-12-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

The other one in their underwear is the cast from That Type- Rocky Horror Picture Show who perform twice a month at Cinebarre dinner theater on Providence. I think that would be fun to see next month to get in spirit.
As seen in the last segment, we recorded.
They do this? I LOVE the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Off to google the next showing/show! Thanks for the heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte